Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Best Dual Elevator, Servo

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 PM
jarvis johnson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Dual Elevator, Servo

Hey Guys
I'm doing a poll, to get your thought's on what is the "Best Elevator Servos"out in the market, for a 2 meter electric setup. Over the last three years, I have used the following servos in my pattern ship. An I have ranked them as followed on a scale 1-10

1. JR 3421 SA, $ 89.00, great servo, over 2 yr's of use. Great gear train, they have never been sent back to JR (9)

2. Hyperion DS 16 FCD $ 29.95, is a very good servos, with a very tight gear train. over 80 flights and no problems (7.5)

3. Futaba BLS 153, $ 119.00, for the price, I should have got, a great servo.after about 50 flights. the gear train got sloppy. sent back to futaba, for a new gear set replacement (6)

4. Futaba 9650, $ 59.95 for the price, the value is better than the BLS 153, after about 40 flights, the gear train got sloppy, replaced with new gear set (6.5)

5.Savox SH 1350, $ 49.00, NIB, sloppy gear train, great for a sport flyer, not for F3a (4)

MK BB linkage system was used with all of the above servos.So what servos are you using, and what kind of linkage system.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:05 AM
Henning

Default RE: Best Dual Elevator, Servo

I have had 6 Futaba BLS 153 servos. 2 of them had some play in the gears out of the box.

My favourite servo for elevator is the Futaba BLS 257 heli servo. It’s the same size as the BLS 153 but much faster.

Regards,
Henning
Old 03-26-2013, 12:40 AM
Alex Voicu

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

I used metal gear Hyperions on my plane (DS 16FMD, DS20FMD, DS20UMD) for the last 2 years and really liked them, very good centering. This year i switched to plastic gear and i noticed there's absolutely no slop in the gear train. Centering seems perfect as usual, but weather is pretty bad here and couldn't test them in flight. The aileron servos (DH 20FCD) are also very light at 46g.
The programming feature is very useful too: i set the deadband to 0ms for best accuracy and adjusted the center position until the 2 elevator halves had perfectly symmetrical travels and center.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:37 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always used a single JR 8231 with a pull/pull set up. I've never had a problem with this system and my last ship was used for ten years. Never had the servo out once installed.
I am using the same on my 2 Valiants.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:59 AM
DaveL322

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would add JR 3517. Basically, it is the high speed version of the 3421. The 3517 can be made into an "sa" version with 3025 gears.

Regards,
Old 03-26-2013, 06:17 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: drac1

I've always used a single JR 8231 with a pull/pull set up. I've never had a problem with this system and my last ship was used for ten years. Never had the servo out once installed.
This was one of the best set-ups for me too. It was in my Alliance from 2000 to 2004 (maybe 600 flights) and in my Temptress which I retired last season after around 2000 flights, from 2002 - 2012. I had the same experience as Drac, also pull-pull on elevator.

I am currently using a twin carbon rod set-up on my Aesthesis (I think it's a 4721) and not particularly happy with how the model locks in pitch....just okay

I am currently using twin 3421's in the tail of a Vanquish and not particularly happy with the model's locking in pitch...also just okay

*EDIT* All of mine are on wet powered models. I don't do E
Old 03-26-2013, 07:36 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I'm surprised there hasn't been a plug for the Airtronics 94761z. In my experience they are very quick, quiet, and smooth, and on the bench they center very well. I don't have the skills of a lot of people posting here, but in my eyes they look pretty good. They are also very small and light.

That being said, I did opt for all JR servos on my 2M plane, and went with Dave's recommendation of 3421 servos w/ 3517 nylon gears. I think the pre-cut slots for the servos had a lot to do with that (and probably the general feeling that JR is the best); the Airtronics servos are small and have required additional mounting plates in all the planes I've used them in.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:56 AM
rene69

I discovered JRs systems back in 1981, my experience with their servos has been outstanding, I'm still using the series 4000 that I got with my Unlimitted 7. Today I use 3421s installed in the elevators. Never had a problem, never try a different servo.
That's my two cents.
Rene
Old 03-26-2013, 07:57 AM
Silent-AV8R

I've got around 60 flights on my BLS-153 servos and so far they are doing great. No slop or centering issues.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

For some reason #3 gets overlooked.

I have been using 94761 since they came out. Lighter and stronger than the 3421 that I had tried before. Very tough and reliable. Even use them for the split rudder in my Passport. The extra mounting tabs make them very easy to set up and a good price.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:06 PM
vbortone

Does anyone has experience using the JR DS3717 HV servos?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:29 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: drac1

This was one of the best set-ups for me too. It was in my Alliance from 2000 to 2004 (maybe 600 flights) and in my Temptress which I retired last season after around 2000 flights, from 2002 - 2012. I had the same experience as Drac, also pull-pull on elevator.

I am currently using a twin carbon rod set-up on my Aesthesis (I think it's a 4721) and not particularly happy with how the model locks in pitch....just okay

I am currently using twin 3421's in the tail of a Vanquish and not particularly happy with the model's locking in pitch...also just okay

*EDIT* All of mine are on wet powered models. I don't do E
I'm using glow as well and also get that solid locked in feel after pulling to level flight. I never have to search for it.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:48 PM
KGSS28

Alex how does the Hyperion programer work and how does it differ from using sub trim on the radio to adjust the center on a servo ?
Thanks
Old 03-26-2013, 11:36 PM
Alex Voicu

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

ORIGINAL: KGSS28

Alex how does the Hyperion programer work and how does it differ from using sub trim on the radio to adjust the center on a servo ?
Thanks
It's just a small electronic interface with a servo lead at one end and a USB adapter at the other.Basically you connect the servo to the computer and all the programming is adjusted in the Servo Commander software and sent to the servo in the end.

I used the cross type servo arms and tried to install them as symmetrical as possible on the elevator servos, but i always noticed a difference of a few degrees, meaning a slightly different angle between the pushrod and servo arm for the elevator halves. I used the programmer to adjust the center until the servo arm was at 90ΒΊ with the pushrod for both stabs.

Sure, you can adjust the subtrim for centering and the endpoint adjustment to match the full deflection of the 2 servos, but at intermediate positions of the stick the elevators deflection may be slightly different. It's really a very small difference though and i doubt you will notice any difference in flight, but i prefer to set everything perfect mecanically before messing with the radio setup.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:54 AM
KGSS28

Thanks Alex

I think I will try them.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:26 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Anthony-RCU

For some reason #3 gets overlooked.

I have been using 94761 since they came out. Lighter and stronger than the 3421 that I had tried before. Very tough and reliable. Even use them for the split rudder in my Passport. The extra mounting tabs make them very easy to set up and a good price.
How did this all metal gear servo work in wet fuel powered models Anthony? Cored or coreless motor? Is there a plastic gear set to convertit into an "sa" version?
The specs and pricelook good. The cheapest I found is at Skip Miller Saiplanes, $56.50
Old 03-27-2013, 09:11 AM
Anthony-RCU

Hi Matt,

I can't say for sure if these were in my Brio before it was converted to E. At that time I had also replaced the 3421 with the 94761. Cored motor I will have to research for the nylon conversion. I think there is one but I never did it to any of mine. These were originally designed for sailplane wings and are very tough. Skip Miller or Hobby People are usually the best sources.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 AM
MTK

All metal gears stop me from buying a set. My planes still shakesome (or a lot if Joe Lochowski is an indication;; Joey shakes for 5 minutes after he's set down my plane) and I might wear them out prematurely.

Essentially same performance as the JR3421 at 65% the cost and 75% the weight. Worth more discussion and research. If there is a nylon gear set, please let me know