Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 05:27 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts
Default RE: C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

ORIGINAL: siclick33

Dave,

I fully understand that the military scheme would be more expensive. That looks a nightmare to paint [X(] I can also understand why CARF would want to limit stock in local warehouses to schemes that will sell quickly.

I don't know how many kits they paint in one go (without cleaning the paint guns etc) but for those that are prepared to wait for a model to be built, it would be nice for colour swaps (using the standard paints that CARF have on the shelf) to be a no cost option. If this isn't possible then there could be 3 levels; a stock colour at the local warehouse available for immediate delivery, a limited selection of colours in Thailand for those that want something different and are prepared to wait (at no extra cost), and pre-order/custom colours for those that want something a bit different.

This isn't a criticism of the current CARF policy but, whatever colour proves to be most popular, people tend not to want to buy an identical model to their clubmates. More choice equals more sales
Darren

Yes, when CARF first started talking to me about the new schemes just after JP it was the big if it could be done in the mould.

I have already had that conversation about stock and the cost option. We are still working on the final outcome. At this time we have been selling all colours (Chequer scheme) at the same cost, I'm having the same thing on the aerobatic airframes. Thing is I nearly always get multiple changes-not just the colour swap. The added £85 would be a small cost compared with having it painted!

If your interested we can talk through your options

Dave
Old 03-24-2013, 05:55 AM
Dave Wilshere

double post!!
Old 03-24-2013, 06:36 AM
spike5150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I await my new yellow checkers airframe, the gear and wing tank have arrived from CARF. I am new to air retracts and have done some searching, but have a question. Of all the bits included with the retract kit, i don't see any kind of fill valve for the air system. There appears to be a check valve, but I am at a loss on how one would fill the system with a standard air compressor fitting.

I found this on the dreamworks site:

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/roba...uck-p-736.html

I think the silver piece is all I need (same thing as most car tires?). What is the brass thing for or how is it used?

Or, would you please share your air system filling solutions and connections?

Thanks!

Jeremy
Old 03-24-2013, 06:51 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Jeremy,

Most guys use 4 mm air line connected to thier compressor to fill air systems. You just push it in to the check valve and fill, disconnect when u are done. The Robart one you are looking at uses a standard tire type valve so a "tire" type fitting may work.

PaulD
Old 03-24-2013, 07:39 AM
Dave Wilshere

Yes, its common in Europe we use the Festo one way valve for an air fill valve. 4mm in and out I use a MAP 4mm line clip to mount the tube against the fuselage side

Dave
Old 03-24-2013, 07:46 AM
spike5150

Great, thanks. So then how do you connect the 4mm line to your compressor? So far I haven't found a fitting to change over. Some pics when you get a chance would help tremendously.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:50 AM
Dave Wilshere

I use a hand air compressor and have taken the std supplied rubber hose off and just have 4mm line on it. This has a 4-3 Festo on one the end as I use SpringAir fillers on some models and I can swap between
Most braided hoses have a barbed type nipple at the compressor end, it may need you to step 6-4mm in this case

Dave
Old 03-24-2013, 09:36 AM
Mäksä

Where is the center of gravity? Plane comes with an old manual?

Thanks, Petri
Old 03-24-2013, 10:37 AM
spike5150

From the below manual addendum:

"Balance point, gear up 220-225mm back from the wing/fuselage joint."

http://www.carf-models.com/public_ca..._update_v2.pdf

ORIGINAL: M�ks�

Where is the center of gravity? Plane comes with an old manual?

Thanks, Petri
Old 03-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Colin Gontier

First real life pic of the new UF scheme in my colours. Turned out even nicer than I thought. Got a few shipping to the UK imminently. Is there a cure for this jet addiction? - if there is I don't want to know about it

regards

Colin

Old 03-25-2013, 08:22 PM
spike5150

I like it! Basically a color swap, blue for silver?

Is a hitec 645MG adequate for an analog nose gear steering servo? 133 oz at 6V.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:06 PM
Colin Gontier

Yep thats about it [8D] And no lettering on the side of the fus. Will do something nice there with vinyl.

Im not a Hitec man but the 645MG being analog and with more than enough torque, metal geared should be just fine.

regards

Colin
Old 03-25-2013, 11:41 PM
Dave Wilshere

ORIGINAL: havard.j

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

Harvard.j

You would still have to trim the wing to clear the front knuckle. Wheels, do you mean the Intairco wheels that are supplied in the CARF gear set? You can get them to fit filing the end of the leg width.

Dave

Yeah I was thinking of the CARF wheels. Maybe I'm just ordering new AT-leg then. Sending you a PM.

Harvard

Your leg parts shipped yesterday, inc the springs.

Dave
Old 03-26-2013, 02:10 AM
paulhat

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi all,

With all the talk of new colour schemes I must say I like this one -

Before I order one though I have to sort out an issue that I have on my current UF. The main fuel tank.
Basically I end up with about 1/3rd a tank of unuseable fuel at the end of each flight.
The other day I was coming in on final and the engine was starting to cough and splutter. Land, check the fuel and still a heap in there.
It's like the fuel tank is on too much of a forward tilt which makes the fuel run to the front of the tank during level/landing attitude.
I have the tank set up as per the instructions and the rest of the fuel system is fine.
If anyone has a suggestion on what I am doing wrong it would be much appreciated.
Are others having the same issue?

Regards,

Paul.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:15 AM
hotspot 01

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reminds me of the Pinky Rookie still have one.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:38 AM
Dave Wilshere

ORIGINAL: paulhat

Hi all,

With all the talk of new colour schemes I must say I like this one -

Before I order one though I have to sort out an issue that I have on my current UF. The main fuel tank.
Basically I end up with about 1/3rd a tank of unuseable fuel at the end of each flight.
The other day I was coming in on final and the engine was starting to cough and splutter. Land, check the fuel and still a heap in there.
It's like the fuel tank is on too much of a forward tilt which makes the fuel run to the front of the tank during level/landing attitude.
I have the tank set up as per the instructions and the rest of the fuel system is fine.
If anyone has a suggestion on what I am doing wrong it would be much appreciated.
Are others having the same issue?

Regards,

Paul.

Paul

You are using the felt clunk? In flight I can run my main tank down to 10mm remaining (sitting on the gear) before it starts to draw air.

If you take your duct joiner out and hold the fuse upright and look through the wing opening can you see the clunk on the base of the tank?

Dave
Old 03-26-2013, 02:42 AM
Dave Wilshere

ORIGINAL: hotspot 01

Reminds me of the Pinky Rookie still have one.
Yes, they are the same colours. My Rookie was the same colours...probably why I like it!!

Dave
Old 03-26-2013, 02:56 AM
paulhat

Hi Dave,

I am not running a felt clunk.
The only reason for this is that I have hear of quite a few people in Australia having problems with these.
Maybe its the warmer weather or something but they can block up quickly causing flameouts.

I will remove the ducting and check that the clunk is touching the bottom of the tank.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards,

Paul.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:58 AM
Dave Wilshere

The question was asked...is this Boomerang Edition too?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90831.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	1866719  
Old 03-26-2013, 04:52 AM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Paul,

I had the same problem until Dave advised me to go with the felt. Now my UF lands with the hopper always full. Been using felts for 10 years now in my jets with no problem at all, and its very hot and humid in India.

Regards
Chatty.

Hi Dave,

The only reason for this is that I have hear of quite a few people in Australia having problems with these.
Maybe its the warmer weather or something but they can block up quickly causing flameouts.

I will remove the ducting and check that the clunk is touching the bottom of the tank.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards,

Paul.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice.

Regards,

Paul.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:44 AM
paulhat

Hi Chatty.

Thanks for your input.
For me I think felt would be a last resort.
I am going to pull the main tank out and make sure everything is as it should be.
Should be able to put a few flights on her this weekend to see if whatever changes I have made have worked.

What's the RC community like in India?
Do you have a big jet following?

Paul.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Dave Wilshere

Paul

This tank was designed with a felt clunk. If you use BVM tube after the baffle you might get away with it. I have felt clunks in every model I own, never had a single issue.

Dave
Old 03-26-2013, 10:10 AM
gawlevi
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ordered the new yellow checkered scheme a couple weeks ago and should be here about the 3 week of April.
Going with the Jet Central Cheetah for plenty of power.
Can anyone tell me if the Futaba S9157 will fit for the elevators?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 AM
spike5150

Ordered my yellow checkers a few weeks ago too.

I am at 5500-6000 ft ELE (Denver, CO). Would a 20lb turbine be enough for me or should I go with a 30lb? Only UF I have seen had a 160 in it. I am new to turbines and don't need a ballastic missile to start with, but I don't want to undershoot on thrust for the long term.

Any experieces with King Tech good or bad? I like their reduced pricing, but really not looking to skimp, just get best bang for the buck.

Jeremy
Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM
gawlevi
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 20 lb. Class will fly it. I can't say that you would have a lot of vertical power though.
I have all Jet Central but I do have 2 friends that I fly with that have K-80's and K-140 and they seem to perform pretty well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.