Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 06:48 PM
nippaero
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Yeah. I think if I want to keep this plane for any length of time it might be a worthwhile effort. Those stars and stripes are going to be a PITA though. There' a bunch of them!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 AM
nippaero

Hey guys,

Just a quick update. Dan from RCGuys heard about my problems and contacted me directly. He offered to replace the stars and stripes and covering that was coming loose. Since I am willing to redo the covering this is not a big issue for me. So I am grateful for the great customer service from Dan and RCGuys! I'll have more information on my build thread over at RCG.

/Mike
Old 03-08-2013, 12:22 PM
nippaero

I almost have my Decathlon ready to fly. I plan to maiden it tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Build Thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847512

Old 03-10-2013, 05:51 PM
trs3243

I am sure you will enjoy it. I am starting my 5 th season on one.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:39 PM
nippaero

How are your gear holding up. Mine don't seem to be very stiff.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:40 PM
roknHS

I've got a new spare cowl for sale if anyone is interested.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:54 AM
trs3243

the gear is fine. after you stick down the stars and stripes, just fly fly fly" Dan Spears from RC GUYS is a real help.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:04 AM
sdossett

I second trs3243...no such thing as a perfect 400 buck ARF, but a joy to fly...hell I stick the stars down with a little clear monokote at the edges, fill 'er up again and let 'er rip!

The gear I think are designed to flex. I added nicer dubro "real" tire wheels...4.5" I think...
Old 03-11-2013, 09:42 AM
trs3243

I fly with a dle55, i have the same tires . WHAT DO PEOPLE EXPECT FOR 400.00 DOLLARS. i think it is a bargin.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:47 AM
WI53072

Guys,

Dan Spears over at RC Guys is an excellent customer service rep. He monitors this and several other RC Guy product threads regularly.

Paul
Old 03-16-2013, 12:52 PM
CB36

Hi all;
After reading my manual and considering my DLE 35RA will weigh less than 3 lbs, that mounting a single elevator servo up forward, (as opposed to two, outside on the fuse rear), may be a good idea? I guess I'd use a carbon or fiberglass pushrod. My question is will a Hitec 645MG be enough for a single ele servo, or will I need more power?
Thanks!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:40 PM
WI53072

This thread continues to grow!!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:43 PM
WI53072

Hi CB,

I used carbon fiber push rods on the elevator halves and the ailerons. Also, I am running the DLE35RA on my SD, perfect fit. I used Hi-Tech 5625MG's servo's on everything except the throttle and am running 2 servo's in the tail. Look back a couple pages I have several pictures of my set-up. I am heading down to the basement to balance my SD. Then All that is left is to do the final radio set-up and get a tank full or two of gas through it while I wait here in the hinterlands for the weather to break more decidedly spring-like. 3 inches of snow predicted for Monday [&:]

Paul
Old 03-17-2013, 12:14 PM
sdossett

CB36

IMHO you'll need the grunt, adjustablity and strength that two hi-torque servos provide for the aerobatics this bird will cause you to try. Just one guys opinion..

For the elevators, I used DuBro giant size hardware all over...4-40 threaded rod and clevises..got the adjustment right then covered the 4-40 with carbon fiber tube, washers and lock nuts, thread lock..something I learned reading a John Gezellis (?SP) article in the AMA monthly.. It's been bullet proof.

I have gotten by very well with a good HT servo in the pull-pull for the rudder.

My advise..don't short change the elevator....no recovery from a failure there......

Good luck.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:13 PM
WI53072

ORIGINAL: sdossett

CB36

IMHO you'll need the grunt, adjustablity and strength that two hi-torque servos provide for the aerobatics this bird will cause you to try. Just one guys opinion..

For the elevators, I used DuBro giant size hardware all over...4-40 threaded rod and clevises..got the adjustment right then covered the 4-40 with carbon fiber tube, washers and lock nuts, thread lock..something I learned reading a John Gezellis (?SP) article in the AMA monthly.. It's been bullet proof.

I have gotten by very well with a good HT servo in the pull-pull for the rudder.

My advise..don't short change the elevator....no recovery from a failure there......

Good luck.
I Agree with Sdossett,

I used heavy duty Dubro 4-40 hardware, SWB servo arms, heavy duty Dubro horns, 4-40 ball links and a heavy duty Dubro Pull Pull rudder set-up. In fact I replaced all the hardware with Dubro. That is just me though. You want to have really good hardware where it counts. See post number 1722 back on page 69 of this thread for an example of the heavy duty hardware I used. Good luck with your build. There is plenty of information contained in this thread to meet many different outcomes good and bad.

On the other hand, I finished the balancing my SD having to add only 1-1/2 ounces of lead to the nose of the plane. I made a balance rig that allowed me to hang the plane from a rafter at the suggested 4-1/8" CG. I will take a picture of it hanging there in case anyone else wants to make a jig like I did. Really very simple. Very similar to those balance jigs Aeroworks sends along with their kits.

Paul
Old 03-21-2013, 07:03 AM
WI53072

Guys, as promised. Pictures of the SD and my balancing rig. Hope this helps anyone wondering how the heck they are going to balance such a large plane using traditional methods, i.e. fingers!! Next I will be completing the radio set-up. Still not sure I am going to set it up with aileron differential or not. I may just try and program in some rudder coupling with aileron as the manual suggests 14%. Or heck i might just start using my left thumb for more than throttle control!

Enjoy!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74783.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1864787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35171.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1864788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47568.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1864789  
Old 03-21-2013, 07:40 PM
crashgoodly

coupling is nice but thumbing it in the turns is way more fun. i had mine coupled but removed it.
ORIGINAL: WI53072

Guys, as promised. Pictures of the SD and my balancing rig. Hope this helps anyone wondering how the heck they are going to balance such a large plane using traditional methods, i.e. fingers!! Next I will be completing the radio set-up. Still not sure I am going to set it up with aileron differential or not. I may just try and program in some rudder coupling with aileron as the manual suggests 14%. Or heck i might just start using my left thumb for more than throttle control!

Enjoy!!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:04 AM
CB36

First impressions, early in the "build":

Let me start by saying I've put together, (as well as many,many kits and a scratch build), ARFs from GP, Goldberg, and H9. So far, this one falls short of those.

The airframe is a tad flimsy and I'm worried it won't stand up to much. I broke a bottom fuse stringer by merely pressing the fin down, (firmly), into place. It broke at the cradle contact point.[&o]

The wing tube is a REAL tight fit in the wings. I've sanded 'till the cows came home and I've got a ways to go before I'll be satisfied.

The covering is not stuck down in places where it should be and those stars you all complain about......I now see why!

On the plus, it's a nice looking craft, builds fast and I suspect it'll fly well.

Maybe I'm just a bit frustrated due to the above issues and all will be forgiven once I get it airborne.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:25 PM
crashgoodly

ORIGINAL: CB36

First impressions, early in the "build":

Let me start by saying I've put together, (as well as many,many kits and a scratch build), ARFs from GP, Goldberg, and H9. So far, this one falls short of those.

The airframe is a tad flimsy and I'm worried it won't stand up to much. I broke a bottom fuse stringer by merely pressing the fin down, (firmly), into place. It broke at the cradle contact point.[&o]

The wing tube is a REAL tight fit in the wings. I've sanded 'till the cows came home and I've got a ways to go before I'll be satisfied.

The covering is not stuck down in places where it should be and those stars you all complain about......I now see why!

On the plus, it's a nice looking craft, builds fast and I suspect it'll fly well.

Maybe I'm just a bit frustrated due to the above issues and all will be forgiven once I get it airborne.
yup. i had the same things with mine. guys keep saying what do you want for 400.00 bucks which is quite idiotic as i've bought fantastic models for less then 400.00 bucks. i won't be buying any rcguys models in the future as i've seen most of their models around and they all seem to lack any real quality. my decathlon flies great. but so does a 4x8 sheet of foam with the right motor.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:00 PM
WI53072

Guys,

The plane surely isn't without its detractors. However, I just felt what the hell for $400 and my first giant scale plane and so it goes. Knowing what I know now about the plane and seeing other SD's that are out there from Hanger 9 and Pilot RC I may have gone another route. All in all, I have to say this has been a good learning experience for me.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:25 PM
crashgoodly

if we keep letting these suppliers slide they will keep trying to sell us crap. for 450.00 bucks for some wood and plastic it should be of decent quality. it's not a small sum of money but the hobby suppliers sure would like us to think so. the sob stories from the suppliers is a load of crap.
ORIGINAL: WI53072

Guys,

The plane surely isn't without its detractors. However, I just felt what the hell for $400 and my first giant scale plane and so it goes. Knowing what I know now about the plane and seeing other SD's that are out there from Hanger 9 and Pilot RC I may have gone another route. All in all, I have to say this has been a good learning experience for me.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:39 PM
WI53072

Yep, like I said. A learning experience. []
Old 06-23-2013, 08:50 PM
WI53072

Maiden flight up-coming this week.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:42 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

A buddy of mine just brought one of these over for me to assemble for him. I don't want to read thru all 71 pages of this thread to see what mods everyone is doing. I will list what I plan on doing and by all means chime in and let me know if there is anything I am missing. This is just what I gathered from about an hour of looking at what came with the plane and the condition.

I will be installing a DLE-35 and all the flight surfaces will get 645MG servo's.

1st of all the servo cover/mount for the left wing is missing, he will call them tomorrow for a replacement

The fuel tank will be replaced with a Dubro tank.
All the control horns and rods and ends are getting junked and getting replaced with Dubro heavy duty hardware. The stuff supplied is definitely junk.
Firewall will get a little bit of reinforcement from the back side and epoxy coated on the front to fuel proof.
The door needs some work to get it to fully close. May add magnets at the top of the door.
All the covering will get a good going over, may take acetone along the edge of the stripes. Not sure if acetone will react to this covering as it does Monokote?
The landing gear block will get some reinforcement, looks like the joints have some big gaps.
What is everyone's experience with the supplied hinges? They look like Robart knock-offs.

Overall the plane doesn't look too bad but I haven't tried to assemble anything yet. The engine will arrive Tuesday and I prefer to get the engine mounted 1st before anything else. If you see anything that I am not doing to this bird please chime in and let me know.
Thanks!!
Anthony
Old 07-07-2013, 04:54 PM
sdossett

WACOnut
You sounds on track. I replaced all hardware with Dubro giant scale stuff, just like I've done on all my GP 1/4 scale aerobats and the like....includes the hinges.

This plane is a good value.

Anyone can come up with another 500 ARF (adding parts noted) that has a 98" wing let me know...I think you'll be pretty pressed to find equal value.

I've been flying mine for 4 years with several repairs after shunts and find the airframe to be robust. The fuse stringers require some thought. but unless you're hamfisted this build should go OK.

Be well.
SCott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.