Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Little Valentine gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 07:14 AM
nitroairplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Valentine gone wrong

Hello guys These last couple of days I've been going through what little I have left of my collection, most of the remaining engines have had a go in the stand following a good clean and lube.

I ran a load of the little fellas too, the AEs, Bambi, AH, etc and then I go to one of my little Valentines and as soon as I took the back plate off I sa that not only had the conron bent but it looked like it had been mutilated too.

This was a great little engine and had powered a couple of models before so I was gutted to see that probably my most friendly small diesel was broken.

I have no idea how this could have happened because it's never stopped abbruptly, locked up or been in a crash. Certainly nevr been touched by an electric started.

If anyone has an ideo how this could have happened it'd be great to hear.

I am writing an email to Ron right now to look for a replacement part.

Pics coming soon.

Thanks guys

Indra
Old 03-25-2013, 12:54 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Little Valentine gone wrong

Any luck with getting support from Valentine?

If your engine has powered a model you ought to be treated like some kind of factory supported superstar-nobody ever even runs these things-I'm of the opinion that they are mostly meant to be looked at and fondled.

When you get the engine back, check the skirt of the cylinder for interference-the impact marks were likely from the bending of the rod though.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:57 AM
nitroairplane

Unfortunately I've not no response so far but that doesn't particularly worry me because he has been a little slow to reply to emails before.

This engine spent a small time in an FMK rainbow .010 stik type kit before making it's way into the tom thumb with a parkzone brick radio and servo boar, that was a lovely plane to fly and it only came in at around 2.5oz ready to fly.

It would take off from the smoother dirst runway with it's little balloon wheels, the engine had a fair amount of runtime on it and it always ran well.

The way I see it is that if they run well then why not let it see the air and have the memories other valentine engine owners won't?

It's always just as good to look at when/if it wears out and you can have storie to tell about it, it's just a RoVa so nothing with too so special I wouldn't fly it, I'd be damn upset to have a flyaway
still nowhere near as upset as I'd be if it was the mini bee.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:52 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Indra

Are you able to post a photograph of your bent conrod?

If you have no luck with a reply, and the engine still has an acceptable piston/liner fit, I am certain someone can make up a new conrod using an alloy that will not bend so readily.

A while back I emailed Mr Valentine using the link given on his site. I never did receive a reply. So, I made other arrangements.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM
nitroairplane

Luckily I got an email from Ron this afternoon (UK time) saying he man have one in stock so I will see about that first
Old 03-26-2013, 03:21 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fiery

Indra

Are you able to post a photograph of your bent conrod?

If you have no luck with a reply, and the engine still has an acceptable piston/liner fit, I am certain someone can make up a new conrod using an alloy that will not bend so readily.

A while back I emailed Mr Valentine using the link given on his site. I never did receive a reply. So, I made other arrangements.
Always better to bend a rod on an obscure engine than break a crank..... Much easier to make the rod out of something that will give than something that won't. I made this point with Rocket Rob when we got our Schlosser .25's and joked about making them out of Titanium-I'd rather bend a tiny bit of aluminum than have to fixture, machine, heat treat, and grind a shaft.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:31 PM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If the rod's bent then it may be a good idea to check the crankpin alignment as well.

Just say'in.

Ray
Old 03-26-2013, 04:56 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Good point on the conrod material. I expect the shafts, crankwebs, crankpins and piston bosses on these little ones may not be particuarly sturdy. The rod is the best "weak point".

Here is the 0.006cc (0.00037 cu. in.) Valentine "nano bee". It's conrod must be the diameter of a sewing needle [X(]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Valenti...item5aef938fbc

Has anyone ever seen one run?

Old 03-27-2013, 02:35 PM
nitroairplane

Hey guys 

I exchanged a few emails with Ron and he said I could send it to him to be checked and for a new con rod free of charge.

I'm off away for the weekend but I'll be sending I back to him on Monday.

Fiery:

The nano bee is quite the work of art, I never owned one but did have a mini bee 0.021cc and a blitz 0.05cc as well as the 0.098cc ones.
I ran both once just to show myself that it was possible.

When this little beauty is up and running again I'll get a vid of it both in the stand mad maybe in the air

Cheers guys

Indra