Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

No More Blue Angels ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

No More Blue Angels ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Bravo77

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: No More Blue Angels ?

So how do we inspire the young , maybe we should increase spending in model aviation .
Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Flynstuff
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the best thing to do at this point is to concentrate on supporting our jet, Club events and the AMA.

Our club supports as many educational events as possible including the SAE college events.

I think it's up to us for awhile to promote aviation to the youth.

I owe my career in UAS to the aviation and model aircraft industry and would hate to see opportunities for our youth disappear

I think we will see an increase in spectators at our future jet events

My 2 cents.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Bravo77

I think you are right , many ailine pilots and engineers owe thier careers from watching an airshow or a model jet or airplane flying . In my city where many aircraft builders and engine manufacturers are located many of their workers and engineers start at a model airplane club or something along that line, So I think we should ask congress to divert a little money to the jet clubs and let us do the airshows at airports until they can have the budget to continue the Blue Angels and others . I am sure we can put on a great show and dazzle the audience .

In these hard economic times we should all help whether it be gouvernments or personal . Nothing last forever and every good thing comes to the end .

Promoting our hobby is a way we can all help to keep aviation alive . Lets get out there and have great grand Jet and airplane shows , and big fun flys .

Old 03-28-2013, 10:29 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

I say put the entire Congress on that Carnival Cruise ship with the poo everywhere and leave them there until they remember who they're supposed to work for.
I like it, but you are being too kind.

We need to stop spending. If it takes away the blue angels, that sucks, but we need to stop spending. Bush started it, Obama perpetuated it. We need to stop spending. Is that too political if I criticize both sides?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We do need to stop spending. Unfortunately where the airshows are cancelled will cost the local businesses and city a lot of revenue as well.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:13 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just glad Butch Voris, the original Blue Angel, isn't around to see his beloved Blue Angels discontinued.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:46 PM
jonkoppisch

On the news they said that the blue angels at the beach airshow in Pensacola brings in more than 2 million in revenue.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 PM
HORNET FLYER
My Feedback: (6)

https://www.facebook.com/WingsOverHoustonAirshow
$8-13Mil in the Houston area
Old 03-28-2013, 03:47 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

I was looking forward to this one:

Release Number: 010313

3/5/2013 - JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS Joint Base San Antonio has cancelled plans for a November air show at JBSA-Randolph in which the U.S. Air Force Thunderbird aerial demonstration team was scheduled to headline and numerous other military aircraft were slated to fly or participate as a static display aircraft.

Effective March 1, Air Force aviation support to public events has been cancelled to save flying hours to support readiness needs. This includes the cancellation of support to all air shows, tradeshows, flyovers (including funerals and military graduations), orientation flights, heritage flights, F-22 demonstration flights and open houses.

The Air Force will cancel the Thunderbirds' entire 2013 season beginning April 1. The elimination of military aviation support and the current budget shortfall were
the primary considerations driving the decision to cancel this year's event. The Thunderbirds last performed in San Antonio at JBSA-Lackland's 2010 air show.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:48 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Woo! Famine to Feast!

Looks like I can see the Blues twice in 2 weeks! Ventura and Miramar are both on!

http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/show/
Old 03-28-2013, 10:46 PM
RBardin
My Feedback: (27)

Oh sure, they're still on, just not like how you remember them...

Old 03-29-2013, 08:22 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

Guys, stop the political BS.

No matter weather you are liberal or conservative, we ALL LOOSE as aviation lovers.

My job is on the line as well. Not fun!
Yes very well said, and why are you complaining, Egypt and Syria need our billions, so who are we to complain, OK now you can shut down the thread.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 AM
winglift
My Feedback: (10)

I love watching the Blue Angels, Thunderbirds, and other military demonstration teams. I grew up admiring those, but I also admired the other performers such as Art Scholl who could fly the Chipmunk like no other, or the amazing Bob Hoover flying the Shrike Commander, whom I have met a few times, the last being at the Gathering of Mustangs and Legends. His exploits as a test pilot are filled with stories that are amazing. I was mesmerized by Mira Slovak doing seemingly unending loops in a glider. In many ways I think the small airfield airshows are better, which could be a different topic of discussion. Sometimes I think for those of us who enjoy aviation, that just seeing something fly is fullfiling in itself.

There are others. Wayne Handley, Bob Herendeen, Don Pittman, Joe Hughes and Johnny Kazian, Cliff Howard, Joyce Case, Delmar Benjamin, Frank Tallman, Sean Tucker, Julie Clark, Captain Dick Schramm, Bill Fornof, Bevo Howard, Jimmy Franklin. I think John Mohr is another that I enjoy seeing. I really think his airshow is one of the best for up close thrills. http://www.mohrbarnstorming.com/intro.html
There is Dr. Frank Donnelly
http://drds-oldtime-aerobatics.com/show.html

Stove pipe burners are okay and I will never forget the demonstration of a Raptor at the Gathering of Mustangs and Legends, however this belt tightening might just be a good thing. This thread was not started to argue about politics and economics, but rather what we will be seeing or not seeing at airshows. When things get better we will again be able to see and hear the thunder and see the amazing speed of our military demonstration teams.

We just need to keep things in perspective. Keep looking up.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:18 PM
RBardin

Well, now we can add the USAF Thunderbirds to list of what we will not be seeing anywhere at all this year:

[link]http://afthunderbirds.com/site/show-season/[/link]

This has caused the total cancellation of lots of shows. Maybe some others will still go on without them, but they are major draws, so I guess we'll see.

I'm all for optimism where warranted, but at this point? Where's the head in the sand smiley? the "more smileys" link is broken...[&:]
Old 03-29-2013, 03:25 PM
jonkoppisch

What would be great is if some of those mega dollar vacations were cancelled and the $ redirected to the shows which in turn would generate more tax revenue

Maybe we can get a bailout for the military
Old 03-29-2013, 04:21 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

at least white house tours look to be restored, God help us
Old 03-29-2013, 05:20 PM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: jonkoppisch

What would be great is if some of those mega dollar vacations were cancelled and the $ redirected to the shows which in turn would generate more tax revenue

I agree....
25 million for one vacation.

At least you guys still had Tam's boys.
We fly for foods and green bottles.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERMk-VWWjTI[/youtube]
Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Tom @ FSI

ORIGINAL: cloudancer03

I love it.whatever post I previously wrote apparently was deemed too political.looking at the posts left has me scratching my head as I see nothing but political commentary which is why this topic should have been closed bythe moderator in the first place.

Ha!

You noticed, huh? If you ever want to get a mod in here to [at least pretend to] sanitize the political stuff out of the thread and clean things up, post something deemed as politically left-of-center. They'll be in here faster than greased lightning

Fact is, this is BOTH sides' fault, and they could stop this idiocy anytime they wanted to by a vote to repeal it. It would take 5 minutes, but these knuckleheads can't even talk to each other civilly anymore. I say put the entire Congress on that Carnival Cruise ship with the poo everywhere and leave them there until they remember who they're supposed to work for.
I like the Cruise ship idea!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Tom @ FSI

ORIGINAL: tamjets

ORIGINAL: jonkoppisch

I agree....
25 million for one vacation.

At least you guys still had Tam's boys.
We fly for foods and green bottles.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERMk-VWWjTI[/youtube]
Very nice flying guys, I sure like those Tam jet F-18s, I have a jet legend blue Angel with a P-160, flights great!
That sure is a nice flying site you guys were at. I have only flown mine at Buttonwillow.
I like Tam,s comment about. Don't miss the runway. I'd sure like to fly with you guys sometime.
Here's a link to my flight at the Willow[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAmaCrd1k-E[/link].
Old 04-02-2013, 02:45 PM
RBardin

I too, completely agree with Yellow Aircraft.

Put all politicians in a boat full of poo.

And even if they do agree, let's leave them there anyway. We've ALL had enough of their, ah, poo. Let them stew in ours for a while!

Old 04-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Shaun Evans

Yeah,

I just can't believe these guys get paid $175k base, then all the perks WHETHER THEY DO THEIR JOBS OR NOT. Then, most of the time, they're there just to make the connections they need to do their REAL jobs.... which is to become million-dollar lobbyists and consultants later on. It's disgusting.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 PM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah,

I just can't believe these guys get paid $175k base, then all the perks WHETHER THEY DO THEIR JOBS OR NOT. Then, most of the time, they're there just to make the connections they need to do their REAL jobs.... which is to become million-dollar lobbyists and consultants later on. It's disgusting.

$175K is peanut from what their spending on our tax dollars.

I fly for food and green bottles.
Hope we still had some free airspace. LOL
Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

I hate to bring up the fact that we keep re-electing them......
Old 04-03-2013, 04:45 AM
jonkoppisch

Check out this guy. If anyone else would have made these kind of comments they would be fired and charged. Not only that, he hasn't even shown up for work to vote from what I understand and is still drawing over $55k a year off of us. [:@]. It's unbelievable the crap the representative spewed in his email..

[link=http://tablet.fox10tv.com/21143/5844846]Rep mitchell[/link]