Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

2m plane for weekend flying

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:13 AM
mazjag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2m plane for weekend flying

Guys, I`m new to pattern...I see guys with these 2k$ pattern planes...Are people just using those planes for contest only or do they fly them as weekend planes as well? Or do guys have smaller planes to fly and practice on such as an Osiris 62? Is it impractical to fly something like a 2m Vanquish on the weekends? your thoughts? thx..
Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2m plane for weekend flying

Mazjag you could doreally well looking for a slightly used 2 meter plane. They exist if you look thru the ads or ask around.
The savings can be significant.
If you want a new plane there are many options that could get you in at less than full boat pricing. Mike
Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 AM
mazjag

If I only did like 2 events a year in lower classes, is it crazy to have a plane like that for weekend flying? We have a guy at our club that flys master class...I have never seen the plane out of the van...
Old 03-28-2013, 10:45 AM
pvogel

There's nothing crazy about it at all! I love flying my pattern birds so much, it's the other planes that almost never come out of the car and/or garage. If you are looking to get your feet wet with a pattern style bird the 62" Osiris is a good choice, if you really want to go to a 2M bird the Vanquish is hard to beat for the price and availability and it flies great.

Peter+
Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 AM
mazjag

Yeah, I alread have the 47 and 62 Osiris and now I wouldn`t mind something bigger and badder...Its a slippery slope..
Old 03-28-2013, 11:12 AM
ArchNemesis

I have to concur with Peter on this one.  I have a LOT of airplanes and Heli's and it's the Pattern plane that see's 95% of the usage.  That said, I also fly FAI and I"ve been "hooked" for some time (20+ years).   I will still pull out a 62" Osiris to start the year, or to try new things for the first time.  They fly tremendously well and have about 1/4 of the value and less effort in assembly.   I would encourage any beginner to start there well through Intermediate. 

Old 03-28-2013, 11:28 AM
wagen017

Try calculating cost versus flying time. You'll quickly find the pattern plane is your cheapest airplane by far.....

Volkert
Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 AM
mazjag

If I wanted to pick up a used 2M I think the only way I could justify paying that much is something with a composite fuse.. Can you fix one of those if you tear it up some or is it trash? Something like a Bj Craft or Sebart Pro Wind? Can you get parts for BJ Craft? I can`t see 1k$ for a balsa wood plane..I would rather just have the Vanquish..
Old 03-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I think the Vanquish is a great place to start. You won't be spending thousands on an airframe, you will have a full 2 meter airplane, and you will have something you are familiar with fixing.

I started pattern flying with a Great Planes Venus II - a .90-1.10 size airplane. I was absolutely hooked by how well it tracked through the sky. From that first flight, I have always preferred flying a pattern style plane. My second pattern plane was a Sebart Wind 110. I flew that 99% of the time for 2-3 seasons. I sold it last year to fund my first 2M composite plane, which is waiting patiently for me to get it built.

I have been flying planes for 5yrs I think - flew in a pattern contest with a sport plane my first year. Some years I've only been to 1 or 2 contests, other years maybe 4-5, and hopefully that number is increasing. But regardless of the number of contests, I always want to fly my pattern plane, because it is fun.

I have very, very little experience repairing composites. I have made some small repairs to cowls, landing gear, etc but not yet a composite airframe. Anything can be repaired (generally speaking) - the difference is time, cost, materials, and tools. If you bang up a Vanquish, you can get some balsa, glue, and covering locally and get to work quickly. If you bang up a composite plane, you have to think about epoxy, glass fiber or carbon fiber, maybe some balsa, paint, sanding, etc. It seems more invovled (to me anyway). However, I have really enjoyed learning about composites, and find it kind of exhillerating that building/repairing 'hi tech' composite parts is very achievable.

I did crash my first Venus - I had a lot to learn and was focusing on something other than flying speed and stalled the plane. It was a total loss. I'm glad it was not a $1200 airframe. I had a stalled landing with the Wind and damaged the landing gear block. It was a repair that with proper time and setup did not impact the looks or performance of the plane. Every plane has a life span, and is bound to suffer from hangar rash, mishaps, rough landings, etc.

I waited until I knew I was really hooked on pattern flying and pattern planes to buy a composite airframe. I also know my abilities/skill level, and know that 'imperfections' are likely to occur. I thought about this, and decided that the fun and passion of flying a beautiful composite pattern plane are worth whatever the future holds.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:58 PM
Jetdesign

In response to your question, I have no intention of flying a weekend plane. I like the idea of really getting to know the airplane's characteristics, and continuously making adjustments until it feels just right.

It is nice to have a backup plane at a contest if something goes wrong (for me it doesn't need to be another 2M plane, just something to fly).
Old 03-28-2013, 01:09 PM
mazjag

Thanks guys, that answers my questions..I`ll most likely pickup a Vanquish..The 2M Osiris is on hold as I was told today..
Old 03-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Jetdesign

There is also the Monolog at F3AUnlimited.com:
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore...roducts_id=475
Old 03-28-2013, 06:28 PM
mazjag

Thanks, I saw that...I hope it flys good as its hard to look at...I`m like 35 miles from Extreme Flight so that would make more sense...thx..
Old 03-28-2013, 07:07 PM
PeterP

Consider the Sebart range of models as well. I have the Angel 50 S which flies as well as my 2m models in light wind. The Wind S 50 or the Mystos 125E are both very capable models at a fraction of the cost. The Wind S 50 runs on a 6S setup and will fit in the back of a large station wagon assembled.

Bang for bucks you cant go past any of the suggestions I have provided.  
Old 03-28-2013, 08:31 PM
NeilRivera

Hey Mazjag there is a pattern contest in McDonough GA next weekend, it is the D2 versus D3 shootout, lots of
planes you can look at and lots of
people to talk to... Check it out , see if you can make it - here is the event link:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11335289/tm.htm
Old 03-29-2013, 01:01 AM
mazjag

I`m already registered...Jason Mascow....sportsman...thx. Neil
Old 03-29-2013, 02:19 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Maybe cheapest total costand one of most recent electric F3A plane close to 2M (but not really full 2M plane) is Sebart MythosS 125E. With that plane You can use 6 cell LiPo and keep the battery cost down compared to a 10 cell 2 x 2M plane.
I'm assemble a MythoS 125 E now and it is great quality. I plan to use 8 cell Lipo (and Hacker A60-7XS motor) to get little extra punch in windy conditions. For 6 cell Lipo You use Hacker A60-5XS.
I believe https://www.aero-model.com/sell Sebart and Hacker motors in US if You are interested in that combination.
http://www.sebart.it/F3A.html

A second hand 2x 2M Sebart Wind S Pro should be a good choice also. Many F3A flyers in my country use it and some flyers here have got the new Sebart MythoS Pro 2x2M now for this season.

/Bo
Old 03-29-2013, 08:17 AM
kochj

Pattern planes fly so well, I may get rid of many of my planes now so I can have just a "FEW" planes to fly....
Right now I have like 20 or so, amd most a Large scale to giants....so it may be a welcome change.....
Old 03-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: kochj

Pattern planes fly so well, I may get rid of many of my planes now so I can have just a ''FEW'' planes to fly....
Right now I have like 20 or so, amd most a Large scale to giants....so it may be a welcome change.....
I definately took this philosophy a few years back. I have two 2m planes, one 4s pattern plane, one heli and just bougth and EDF. Everytime I buy a sport plane I am disappointed and it sits. Even sold my F3P stuff because of lack of a place to fly it.

I have warned people, for those who get it, pattern flying is addicting!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:03 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep, my Oxai ship is my daily drive however the club where I fly is hardly packed and 90% of my flights I'm in the air by myself.

I'm putting an engine back into my Curare as a chuck around plane.

I should add, the weather in my area is terrible, never dropping below about 10mph and usually about 15mph with turbulance coming from nearby hills so an F3A ship (or pylon racer) is needed unless you just want to bounce around. Large IMAC ships handle the turbulance well for sport flying but pushing into 20+ mph winds up high gives them a hard time.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:18 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: Anthony-RCU

ORIGINAL: kochj

Pattern planes fly so well, I may get rid of many of my planes now so I can have just a ''FEW'' planes to fly....
I definately took this philosophy a few years back. I have two 2m planes, one 4s pattern plane, one heli and just bougth and EDF. Everytime I buy a sport plane I am disappointed and it sits. Even sold my F3P stuff because of lack of a place to fly it.

I have warned people, for those who get it, pattern flying is addicting!
I have yet to own a modern pattern. Not sure if I have gone towards electric, but that is all that EF has available in there 2m pattern plane.