Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:15 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Subscribed. I have an 89" spitfire mkiv. By reading thru the thread, maybe I can get some ideas.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: InboundLZ

Ed, can you give some details on the sliding canopy setup you are using, please?

Edited to pose the question to the right person...

Hi Dave,

I used the sliding canopy rails from Dynamic Balsa. Here is a link>http://www.dbalsa.com/cockpits/sliding-rails.htm

I spent a fair amount of time trying various ways to move the canopy forward and backward on the rails and eventually decided to use an air cylinder. So, I have a separate air tank, filler value, servo and air valve just for the canopy. There is some information on my installation in Post #1522; 1559 and 1565 of this thread. If I were to do it again, I would purchase an air cylinder with a longer throw. I think the one I purchased from Robart moves 2.5" and it looks fine, but it would look better if it opened another 1/2 to 1". I think an air cylinder with a 3.25" or 3.5" throw would be perfect. Someone else mentioned that Sierra Precision sells longer air cylinders than Robart, but there may also be other suppliers.

Let me know if there is anything else you want to know.

-Ed B.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Flyfast1

ORIGINAL: Ron101

Ed it is looking awesome!!!!
Don't you dare fly that thing until I'm there with my camera [&:]

And as always you know you are more than welcome to come up to oakdale with me if you would like to maiden it there or just fly anytime...
I was out there last weekend flying jets and it's beautiful with all the green on the hills.... lake is pretty dry, but still pretty. Feel free to call or email and we can set something up... I'll be out there on sunday if you feel like heading up

You have don't such a nice job you have to be proud!

I got my F-18 up to glassing and priming but took her to a pro for the paint... I was burnt out, low on time and didn't want to mess it up
I should have it back in a couple weeks and can start my install on the gear

keep in touch
Ron
Hey Ron, nice to hear from you! I look forward to flying with you this year. I'll let you know when I am ready to maiden the Spitfire. My wife wants to be there for the maiden, so I'll probably do it at our field, but I'll need to be careful to pick a day when the wind is down the runway.

I look forward to seeing your F-18. It should be a beauty and knowing how you like fast planes, I am sure it will be fast!

-Ed B.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Flyfast1

I managed to make some more progress on the Spitfire today. I started with the squadron markings on the fuselage. I am using "VLE" of RAF 322 Squadron in the Netherlands, Spring of 1944. Here are some pics:

Pic #1: the masks for the squadron markings are applied to the fuselage. To align the masks, I taped a string to the tail and ran it down the side of the fuselage. The string makes it easier to align the paint masks.

Pic #2: paint applied. I used Model Masters Light Grey for the squadron markings

Pic #3: after masks removed. A few minor spots to touch up, but not much bleeding under the masks.

Pic #4: here is a closeup of the tail section, showing one of the aluminum hatches I applied and the rivets around the horizontal stabilizer

Ed B.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62849.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1855528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86022.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1855529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr39924.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1855530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66195.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1855531  
Old 02-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Flyfast1

I also started work on the exhausts. I started by painting the manifolds flat black and the exhaust stubs flat brown. I thought it would be easier to paint the exhaust stubs before securing them to the plane, so I attached them to a piece of cardboard, as depicted in Pic #2 below. I then added some detail to the exhaust stubs.

Pic #1: flat black applied to the exhaust manifolds

Pic #2: I taped the exhaust stubs to a piece of cardboard for painting and started by painting the inside of the exhaust stubs with flat black and the outside with flat brown.

Pic #3: I noticed from photographs of full scale spitfires that the exhaust stubs turn white from the heat of the exhaust emitted from the other exhaust stubs. I decided to have some fun with this and give it a try. To replicate this, I used Model Master Light Ghost Grey paint. This is basically a medium grey color that I applied using my airbrush with the smallest needle (0.5mm). For those that may be apprehensive about trying this, don't be. This is my first project using an airbrush, so I practiced on a piece of cardboard and if I can do it, you can also! Besides, it's just paint, so you can always fix it by painting over it with the brown and trying again! In my personal opinion, this is one of those situations where I think "less is more". Only a small amount of the Light Ghost Grey paint is required to provide what I think is a nice effect. I did not apply the light grey paint to one of the six exhaust stubs on each side of the plane, since in the full size pics I looked at, the first exhaust stub does not have the discoloration, since it does not get hit by the exhaust of other exhaust stubs.

Pic #4: a closeup of a few of the exhaust stubs. I noticed before painting that the fiberglass exhaust stubs provided by Yellow Aircraft have some imperfections. I suppose that these could be filled, but I think the end result actually looks better with the imperfections that can be seen in this closeup.

I am looking forward to seeing how the exhaust stubs look installed.

-Ed B.

Name:	Da83410.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1855532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69205.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1855533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48214.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1855534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey69931.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1855535  
Old 02-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Flyfast1

Perhaps someone here could help me with a question about painting residue from the machine guns in the wing. I am thinking of using my airbrush with the smallest tip to make faint streaks on the top and bottom of the wing. Has anyone else done this? What color paint would be best? Perhaps black or maybe a dark grey?

Thanks,

-Ed B.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Duplicator41

Very rarely will you seeburn marksfrom the canon on the wings, possibly very faint ones from the machine guns.

Cheers,
Old 03-29-2013, 08:02 AM
johnb66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all , been working my way through this thread as i have acquired a ya spit , it has never been flown or even properly built, was glued together and painted with emulsion!!and used as a display in an office, thanks to you guys i have managed to source a new canopy ( this was missing) , what i am still missing are plans / drawings e.t.c i have tried to contact YA but no replies to my emails , can anyone out there help me as it would be handy to have some idea of what else is missing as there is only one former in the fuselage no mounting blocks in the wings e.t.c it's basically a bare air frame so any help would be much appreciated ,

thanks
John
Old 03-29-2013, 08:58 AM
lbscottsdale

John,
I have a much used but still usable set of plans and instructions that I could send you. I am in Arizona USA so if you get a response from someone in England that would be better and cheaper for them to send the plans to you than me!
However if you have no luck in a week or so email me or respond on this thread and I will send them to you.

Cheers

Len (One time Brit!!)
Old 03-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Brad330l

I could scan and send you the build booklet. It is not a great help but it does provide some info.
Copyrights???? Should this be OK? I am not selling it.

Hi Len.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 03-29-2013, 08:20 PM
lbscottsdale

Hi Brad,

Just a coat of clearcoat and a new exhaust between me and the field!!!!

Cheers mate

Len
Old 03-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Brad330l

ORIGINAL: lbscottsdale

Hi Brad,

Just a coat of clearcoat and a new exhaust between me and the field!!!!

Cheers mate

Len
Cool mate. Keep us informed.

Brad
Old 03-30-2013, 08:05 AM
crazystick

Hey guy's,I have a Yellow Spitfire and one day I plan to build.I found this site on the Spitfire some time ago.It's verry good and on the first page is photos of each page of the instructions.The site has everything and more that you may want to know.
crazystick

http://spitfire9.com/yellowbuild.htm
Old 03-30-2013, 12:44 PM
sticktickler

I cut vinyl paint masks or permanent decals for these Yellow Spitfire kits (among others shown below). I can design any custom insignia or unit markings tail numbers and nomenclature just PM me for more information. My work is very scale and affordable.

Name:	Tr51644.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1868322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67591.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	1868323  
Old 03-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Brad330l

ORIGINAL: crazystick

Hey guy's,I have a Yellow Spitfire and one day I plan to build.I found this site on the Spitfire some time ago.It's verry good and on the first page is photos of each page of the instructions.The site has everything and more that you may want to know.
crazystick

http://spitfire9.com/yellowbuild.htm
Yes this site has quite a few pictures of my build. I had forgotten about it.

Brad
Old 04-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Flyfast1

Hi to All:

My spitfire is finally complete....well almost. It's basically done, but there's a few little things that I want to add to it. I ran the engine in my garage last night and all was well, so today off to the field I went. It was too windy to fly, but I was able to tune the engine and go through my pre-flight check. I lost two of my exhaust stacks while tuning the engine, so I am glad I didn't fly, because they would have been lost forever. I used medium CA to glue them in, but I guess the vibration eventually loosened up two of them. So, I am taking them all out and re-gluing them using glue that is thicker and will hold them in better.

The sliding canopy works well so far. For electrical power I am using two LiFe packs (A123 cells) through two switches into the receiver. I am also for the first time using an IBEC for the ignition. This eliminates a separate battery, switch and extension to power the ignition. I installed the LED for the IBEC in the cockpit dashboard so I can see when there is power to the ignition. The air system for the retracts held air for several hours, so that looks good and so far nothing else came loose. Here are some pictures. That's me in the last one.

Cheers,

-Ed B.

Name:	Ge94394.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1870259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24894.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1870260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm21783.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1870261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw64880.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1870262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al72782.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1870263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Du21918.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1870264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx45406.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1870265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cb93702.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1870266  

Old 04-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Brad330l

Well done mate and good luck. It will be worth all the 'pain' once you have flown it. As long as you have checked the CG 50 times and it has no indication of tail low then you will be right. I have actually flown mine a bit tail heavy after I lightened the spinner backing plate and used the scale fibre spinner cone but it flew Ok. I would not recommend that setting though for a test flight. As for the scale exhausts I used canopy glue and have not had a problem.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 04-06-2013, 04:43 PM
smurfjet
My Feedback: (40)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Spitfire looks great Ed. Good luck with the maiden flight. Without reading through the entire thread to see where you have it balanced, I would suggest 5.75 inches from the leading edge at the fuselage. It will be perfect.

I always use Zap Goop, shoe goo or even silicone to secure my exhaust stacks on the yellow spitfire. When the glue sets up they have just a very slight flexibility to help with the vibration.

Dave

Edit - CORRECT CG is 5.75 inches
Old 04-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Flyfast1

For some reason, images still don't seem to upload correctly. I am using the same "Upload Images" option at the bottom of the message screen. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

I removed and re-glued all my exhaust stubs to ensure that they won't fall out.

Dave, regarding the cg, my manual states a range of 5 1/2 to 5 3/4. I balanced in the middle of that range. Will the plane be difficult to fly with the cg at that point? It seems that your preference is for 4 3/4, but it would take a lot more weight for me to get there.

I forgot to mention that my plane weighs just under 27lbs and I had to add about 1 lb of lead up in the nose to balance the plane. I also have one of my batteries mounted in the engine compartment.

-Ed B.

Name:	Ay74937.jpg
Views:	80
ID:	1870457  
Old 04-10-2013, 10:24 PM
smurfjet

Hi Ed,

I apologize and will try to edit my earlier post. The correct CG I have been flying my yellow spits is 5.75 inches. You will be fine where you are but make sure to shim the rear rail of the retracts with a thin beveled shim. I make them out of thin aircraft ply. This will not affect the retraction and will just get the legs forward a little to help you with preventing the nose-overs. I have one spitfire totally scaled out and it comes in around 28 pounds. Flies great with a Zenoah G-45 but not a speed demon at all. I have another with a g-62 and it weighs around 25 pounds. Not that much faster overall but more vertical.

I would try to add some pictures of the two I have now but RCU is acting up again. This website is not what it used to be in the tech dept.

Dave
Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Flyfast1

ORIGINAL: smurfjet

Hi Ed,

I apologize and will try to edit my earlier post. The correct CG I have been flying my yellow spits is 5.75 inches. You will be fine where you are but make sure to shim the rear rail of the retracts with a thin beveled shim. I make them out of thin aircraft ply. This will not affect the retraction and will just get the legs forward a little to help you with preventing the nose-overs. I have one spitfire totally scaled out and it comes in around 28 pounds. Flies great with a Zenoah G-45 but not a speed demon at all. I have another with a g-62 and it weighs around 25 pounds. Not that much faster overall but more vertical.

I would try to add some pictures of the two I have now but RCU is acting up again. This website is not what it used to be in the tech dept.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the clarification. Good to know it should be fine in the middle of the range. Thanks also for the suggestion about shimming the gear. Do you fly off grass or a hard surface?

I am using an FPE 3.4 (55cc), which in power I think is somewhere in-between the G62 and G45. I like the FPE engines because I have found them to be easy to tune and reliable. On this plane, my personal preference is to trade off all-out speed for better climbing ability, since I enjoy flying large vertical maneuvers, so I try to prop my planes to achieve that. I am starting with a 22x10, but may also try a 23x8. I find it interesting to see how small changes in diameter & pitch can have a big effect on how these planes fly.

I am planning for a maiden this weekend.

-Ed B.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Flyfast1

Test post

Name:	Vt56717.jpg
Views:	81
ID:	1870693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36054.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1870694  
Old 04-12-2013, 12:29 PM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, the YA Spitfire build booklet and photos of plans are on my site at [link]http://spitfire9.com/yellow.htm[/link]

cheers - ken
Old 04-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ed your spit looks just amazing! great job
I'm dieing to see this one in person and see her fly

great work!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:48 PM
smurfjet

Your spit looks great Ed. Good luck with the maiden! You will love the way it flies. The FPE 3.4 will be a great choice. You might try a zinger 20 - 8/14 prop. I know, "zinger" right? I thought the same until I tried one. I was using a lot of Mejzlik props but on the yellow spitfire these variable pitch zingers really work great. On the Zenoah G45 I use an 18 - 8/14 and the G62 I use the 20 - 8/14. There isn't anything in between. Try one you might like it.

Waiting for the maiden report from you. Hope all goes well.

Dave

Here's a some of my Yellow Spitfires. I have sold a few of them. The panther spit was the first one I ever built. The one flying, AP-Q, I just sold yesterday to a good friend. I still have AP-D and I just started a build on a Comp Arf Spitfire.

Name:	Qo41262.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	1871003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy71596.jpg
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1871004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pr24115.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1871005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zl60720.jpg
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1871006  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.