Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:58 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Spike,
My Classic Flash had a Jet Central Rabbit in it and at 1000 feet it was a nice flyer. Upgraded to a Cheetah with 31 lbs of thrust and it is a monster. Then went to a Ultra Flash with the same Cheetah in it. I never could tell a lot of speed difference both way faster than legal. I would think you would want to go with the bigger turbine at your altitude. And I sure wouldn't worry about the KingTech. Several of my friends fly them and they are great. Service is good also.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

ORIGINAL: gawlevi

Ordered the new yellow checkered scheme a couple weeks ago and should be here about the 3 week of April.
Going with the Jet Central Cheetah for plenty of power.
Can anyone tell me if the Futaba S9157 will fit for the elevators?

If its no bigger than a JR 8411 then yes. 19mm width is critcal, but its a tight pocket.

I'd say at that altitude, I'd go 30lb. 20lb at near sea level is OK, enough and fun, but warm and high...not sure it would cut it 25lb plus

Dave
Old 03-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Dave Wilshere

Straight speed once its maxed is never that difference, 30 or 35lb and straight and level is mached...vertical is a different thing and you see a difference

Dave
Old 03-26-2013, 11:04 AM
gawlevi
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The s5197 is 20 mm. Wasn't sure about the mounting plate for the elevator Servo.
Is it just a flat plate or is it cut out in the center to allow the servo to drop in a little deeper.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Dave Wilshere

Then it won't fit!
It mounts on a flat-ply cover with two ali brackets. The tail is not deep enough and a 19mm servo often touches the top skin...
Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 PM
spike5150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. I will head for the 30lb variety of turbine.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:36 PM
paulhat

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Jeremy,

I have a Kingtech K100-G in my UF running diesel.
Awesome little engine that hasn't given me as issue (about 20 hours on the clock).
For me it has plenty of power (I fly at about 1000ft). My next one will probably have a 140 in it though. Just for a bit more vertical.

Paul.

ORIGINAL: spike5150

Ordered my yellow checkers a few weeks ago too.

I am at 5500-6000 ft ELE (Denver, CO). Would a 20lb turbine be enough for me or should I go with a 30lb? Only UF I have seen had a 160 in it. I am new to turbines and don't need a ballastic missile to start with, but I don't want to undershoot on thrust for the long term.

Any experieces with King Tech good or bad? I like their reduced pricing, but really not looking to skimp, just get best bang for the buck.

Jeremy

Here is a picture of my main tank rear support.
I think I need to lower it (closer to the bypass duct) so that the tank is on more of a lean rearward.
No way you can get all the fuel out with the current geometry as there is a definate lean forward when the aircraft is level.
How have others done theirs?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22178.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1866898  
Old 03-27-2013, 12:11 PM
havard.j

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

ORIGINAL: havard.j

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

Harvard.j

You would still have to trim the wing to clear the front knuckle. Wheels, do you mean the Intairco wheels that are supplied in the CARF gear set? You can get them to fit filing the end of the leg width.

Dave

Yeah I was thinking of the CARF wheels. Maybe I'm just ordering new AT-leg then. Sending you a PM.

Harvard

Your leg parts shipped yesterday, inc the springs.

Dave
Thanks Dave :-)
Old 03-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Dave Wilshere

ORIGINAL: paulhat

Hi Jeremy,

I have a Kingtech K100-G in my UF running diesel.
Awesome little engine that hasn't given me as issue (about 20 hours on the clock).
For me it has plenty of power (I fly at about 1000ft). My next one will probably have a 140 in it though. Just for a bit more vertical.

Paul.

ORIGINAL: spike5150

Ordered my yellow checkers a few weeks ago too.

I am at 5500-6000 ft ELE (Denver, CO). Would a 20lb turbine be enough for me or should I go with a 30lb? Only UF I have seen had a 160 in it. I am new to turbines and don't need a ballastic missile to start with, but I don't want to undershoot on thrust for the long term.

Any experieces with King Tech good or bad? I like their reduced pricing, but really not looking to skimp, just get best bang for the buck.

Jeremy

Here is a picture of my main tank rear support.
I think I need to lower it (closer to the bypass duct) so that the tank is on more of a lean rearward.
No way you can get all the fuel out with the current geometry as there is a definate lean forward when the aircraft is level.
How have others done theirs?

I can't see from the picture, but I glue the cross piece on the two flat areas either side and the fill in vertical web on that.

Dave
Old 03-28-2013, 12:40 PM
spike5150

CARF Landing gear questions:

Do the below pictures look correct? The German instructions included with the kit show a different style main leg. I found the english version for the retracts but can't even find these legs on the Intairco website. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27534.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1867574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28452.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1867575  
Old 03-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Dave Wilshere

Yes, but I often put a washer between the brake unit and leg to increase the tyre clearance. It can rub with side loads.
Yes, front as you say

Dave
Old 03-28-2013, 02:26 PM
spike5150

Thank you Dave. Good to know a washer between brake and leg won't hurt anything.
Jeremy
Old 03-29-2013, 07:46 AM
spike5150

Apparently this is STILL a problem. I just got a set of UF retracts form CARF and if I flex the main gear by hand the springs aren't even strong enough to return the leg to the resting position. I can't believe this has not been resolved. I have read about heat shrink, electrical tape, cutting wraps off the spring and BUYING the UL springs, but after 2 years you would think it would be fixed by CARF. I will email my rep (andy kane), but I do not expect to have to BUY anything else. There is no way the stock springs would return the gear to straight enough to keep the leg from not retracting fully.

ORIGINAL: Jack28

Is there anyone using the AT landing gear legs that have issues ,like soft springs , bouncing on landing and swerving down the runway on take off. I fought this issue recently and have never had an issue keeping a jet sttaight on take off or bouncing landings. A friend with a Flash helped me with UF landing technique and I learned to fly a slower pattern and land slower and that took care of the bouncing for the most part (Thanks Alot Boston Brian ,I really Appreciate It!!!). The issue with swerving down the concrete runway (grooved airport runway) was out of control!! I did notice that the r/s tire had some runout and would rub on the leg , everytime it would rub the jet would squat down on that side.(Fixed the rubbing/ was a little bit better). Then as a temporary fix ,I bound the AT trailing link knee joint on both main legs with electrical tape (to prevent the strut from compressing) just to try it out. The swaying was now totally eliminated , and the jet is WAY more forgiving on landings. No more bouncing! Even when landing is a little fast! It stuck everytime on landing and didn't bounce at all. This has led me to believe that the gear springs are too soft, and as the the jet starts to settle on the gear the wing angle of attack changes (more positive) and causes the jet to get airbourn again. I do know that proper landing technique is required , Too fast and you bounce, although tapeing the mains ridgid made this jet so much easier to land without bouncing. I have over 260 flights on my Boomerang and never have had any bouncing issues. I also owned an Classic Flash /with the origional straight compression Comp arf struts and it never bounced like this jet does. I have the origional straight compression struts from my old Composite ARF flash on my Boomerang and they work great . I was thinking of changing out the AT legs, or at least getting higher tension springs (if they make them??) , I have also considered the same straight struts that came with the Classic flash. Any advice or suggestions are welcome .Thank You , Jack.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Rob Howarth

Ha ha! You think you've got CARF gear problems - you ought to buy the Corsair, that's been out for years - twice the price and four times worse!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:23 PM
spike5150

Woo hoo! UF will here next Wednesday!!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:27 AM
Jack28
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had originally posted that about the gear. I owned a Classic flash with the straight struts and it never bounced or swayed , As Dave has posted I think a washer between the wheel to give more tire to strut clearance would fix the sway problem. Mine was aggravated by the weak springs. The tape wrapped around the strut made all the bouncing and swaying go away. Dave also told me you could fit Ultra Lightening spring the gear, I never tried this as I lost my Ultra Flash to a fly away/Radio issue and have not been able to swing a new one yet. I loved the jet I flew awesome. I would agree that it does need stronger springs, If I were to get another I would install the old style Classic flash/ Rookie straight struts on it. I yes ,proper landing technique will reduce the bouncing, however its nice to know if you aren't perfect every landing that you will be ok. Jack.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:27 AM
spike5150

Jack that is a major bummer. Did you ever find the plane?

I have an email into Andy Kane to see what can be done to make it right. Hopefully he will send me lightning springs and that will fix it.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone fit an external, removable smoke tank on the UF?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:38 AM
larshkj

Flew my UF for the first time on thursday. What a great jet it is!