brushless pvc sub

Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

brushless pvc sub

Old 03-31-2013, 01:04 AM
X1AaronW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brushless pvc sub

I am making a brushless submarine that will be powered by an 11.1v lipo. The submarine will be kept as small as possible to keep the power to weight ratio up. What I need to know is how I can do a nose cone. I have no fiberglassing experience and I dont have a wood lathe availiable. I think fiber glass would be easy. Its basically just industrial grade paper machet. Anyway. Im stressing over the nose cone because I want to keep drag to a minimum and the dome cap for pvc pipe isnt long enough to reduce drag very effectively. That and the brushless motor I am using is an outrunner that will be exposed to the water. Bad idea?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:09 PM
MT-Tank

Default RE: brushless pvc sub

Now would be a great time to find a plastic Easter egg to use as a nose. It's a good shape hydrodynamically, light weight and cheap. If you want something sturdier then use it as a mold for the fiberglass nose. Lay up the fiberglass on the inside of the mold and it will take up the smooth finish. That will save you a lot of sanding!
What diameter are you shooting for?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:26 PM
X1AaronW

Default RE: brushless pvc sub

Believe it or not...2". Im going small because im using an airplane motor that will be fully submerged in the water. I figure by staying small and lite weight I can keep the power to weight ratio high.