Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 05:26 AM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Nice Jacket pldawg ..Was that custom made ?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:38 AM
pldawg
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

Nice Jacket pldawg ..Was that custom made ?
Yeah, much of my affinity for Super Cubs stems from following his blog, http://blog.blueiceaviation.com

I also have a love for hooded sweatshirts, so I have one of his real Blue Ice Aviation sweatshirts and I thought this pilot needed a black hooded sweatshirt just like mine. My wife gave me the sweatshirt(she tried to make it but it wasn't working so she found a seamstress to make it for me) and then I made the graphics for it to look like the real Blue Ice Aviation sweatshirt.

I also had the chance to go up to Alaska and fly with him this past fall, it was AWESOME!! I am still looking for a reasonable weight tundra tire to match his 35" Alaska Bushwheels

Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 AM
G.P.
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Rellic

but who am I and what do I know eh.
I don't recall anyone disputing, arguing with, or questioning anything that you have said.

[]
Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 AM
G.P.

ORIGINAL: pldawg

I think mine is ready to go.
I went with lights from Dimension Engineering as they are nice and bright and they are programmable so I was able to have multiple settings.
Here is a video of how I have them setup for now.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFVijkyiW58[/youtube]
Love the wig wag wing lights! Is the bottom landing light a scale location, or just to help you see the ground coming up on approach?

Looks great!

edit: Just saw the center landing light on the Blue Ice website. Looks cool...but I already finished my lighting system!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:35 AM
pldawg
My Feedback: (6)

There is always time for edits!!  

If I would have thought about it before gluing in the rudder I would have tried to make a red strobe on top of the rudder. The wire that comes with the lights from dimension engineering is really thin though. I bet if I really wanted to I could run it up there and then cover the wore with more white covering. But I'll leave it as it is for now. 

I made wiring extensions for the lights out of cat 5 networking cable twisted pairs. I had some extra laying around and it worked great. I even threaded it all the way back to the rudder light with the rudder installed. 
Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 AM
bikerbc

Nice job GP
Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Rellic

So far so good GP.

It's just that sometimes I feel like I might be coming across as a know it all type especially with this foam issue as products change over time and suppliers and what I am advising and describing might be a different product with different batching, mixing, induction time and characteristics to what readers here might purchase.

That is why I try and emphasis to always test the product in a simulated application so as not to damage an expensive part we are trying to improve.

Brian T.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Rellic

If you guys want some VERY cool accessories like Pilots, Pilot Accessories, Cockpits, Instruments and Instrument Panels in many different scales have a look at this site

.http://www.iflytailies.com/

I have purchased a few of his offerings and can attest to excellent quality and quick delivery times by USPS with no border broker problems.

Brian T.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:22 AM
G.P.

So far so good GP.

It's just that sometimes I feel like I might be coming across as a know it all type especially with this foam issue as products change over time and suppliers and what I am advising and describing might be a different product with different batching, mixing, induction time and characteristics to what readers here might purchase.

That is why I try and emphasis to always test the product in a simulated application so as not to damage an expensive part we are trying to improve.

Brian T.
I see! Your help and information is greatly appreciated, and I don't want to anyone to feel upset.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Rellic

I seldom get upset anymore GP and if I do I just quietly go away and let it fester deep down inside, giving My appointed therapist something to dig for

Brian T.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:27 PM
bikerbc

I have been fortunate enough to be able to call Brian a friend for many yrs , probably around 30..We learned to fly around the same time...Brian knows a lot about our hobby and is always willing to share his knowledge but on line you can never tell weather somebody knows there stuff or if they are just talking and sometimes it takes a while to get to know the difference . I am lucky because in this case I know Brian and I know he knows what he is talking about...
Old 03-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Rellic

1980 I joined the Grindrod Air Force Ken. Member #169. I still haveMy Badge.Don was Member #101, Gordon was #102 and Tony #103. They never explained why they started at 100. I asked Gordon at Don's Memorial and he cant remember.

Thanks for the recognition Ken, I always remember you as the guy with the most Airplanes and I see you are regaining the status.

Brian T.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:28 AM
bikerbc

Ya I know ..I cant help it ..I am so darn addicted to this hobby .. As soon as I have one plane on the bench I/2 built I have another one in my head driving me crazy...I am getting more sneaky too .. I am one sick puppy
Old 03-28-2013, 09:49 AM
bikerbc

Well the layer of 4.5 oz. glass cloth that I put on the bottom of my floats has really made a difference .. They feel quite a bit more solid now .. I would still like to add a bit of foam to the front section but I am going to wait for GP to do a test run for us .. I haven't put the second coat of epoxy on the bottom of my floats yet so they are a little rough to the touch...I am thinking this might help them to break free of the water. There should be less suction...I can always add a layer of epoxy if it doesn't work .
Old 03-31-2013, 01:20 PM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

any one know how to get the rudder light all the way into the rudder, the plastic rod has a 1/8 hole and the light has heat shrink and a diode make it to big to go into the rod ???????? if it was ez everbody would do rc planes thanks frank
Old 03-31-2013, 02:25 PM
meanrc
My Feedback: (2)

1980 I joined the Grindrod Air Force Ken. Member #169. I still have My Badge. Don was Member #101, Gordon was #102 and Tony #103. They never explained why they started at 100. I asked Gordon at Don's Memorial and he cant remember.

Thanks for the recognition Ken, I always remember you as the guy with the most Airplanes and I see you are regaining the status.

Brian T.
Maybe they thought no one was or is # 1
Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 PM
bikerbc

It should slide in but it is a fairly snug fit ..You gotta wiggle it in and then the lite lens goes over....You might want to try and reshrink your heat shrink if it hasn't shrunk enough..Watch those little wires they are fragile ..I broke the first set of tail lite wires on mine .. I had to pull the wires out and redo them .. I was lucky to get them out ..
Old 04-01-2013, 06:46 AM
roknHS

Biker,
He's trying to figure out how to get the wire through the tail structure.....................

You have to take the plugs off the light pigtail and the extension that runs out the back of the fuselage..............solder them together and insulate with shrink tube...............in short, get rid of the plugs.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:11 AM
bikerbc

That's what happens to ya when ya have a stroke , ya get stupid and embarrass yourself tryin to help...
Old 04-02-2013, 06:37 AM
roknHS

No embarrasment Biker,

I had to read it a couple of times and think about it for a while.......still not 100% sure my take on it is correct.

You have done a lot of helping on this cub, for me and everyone else.........and you've always been a class act. I check here often and look forward to your insight on these issues. Please continue...............................
Old 04-03-2013, 06:29 AM
roknHS

Ya know Biker, I read Frank's post again...........I think you're take on it was correct.........and I think I had to ream the end of the tube in the rudder to get the shrink tube on the light recessed enough I could get the tail light cover to fit flush. Now I'm feeling a little red...........
Old 04-03-2013, 02:26 PM
bikerbc

Oh well roknHS I just hope one of us is correct .. Sometimes we don't get quite enough information ...
Old 04-04-2013, 02:11 AM
bikerbc

We are having a Mall show April 11 thru to the 14th and after that I will maiden my Cub...I don't want to chance scuffing it up before that...Also I am waiting on a Dynatron starter that I have ordered .. I don't know if I need it or not but I would sooner have it and not need it than need it and not have it...I have 3 G26 motors now that have not been started and I don't know how hard they are to start...
Old 04-04-2013, 06:24 AM
roknHS

Biker,
I've got a G-26 on a Stearman.......I can start it with a Tower Hobbies HD 12V starter. I back the prop up to compression so the starter has a down hill run to begin with. The biggest issue on that plane is the AT-6 spinner on it. The spinner is bigger than the starter cone.

I have a Dynatron, it is a lot heavier than the Tower starter. I opted for the Tower starter to keep the weight down in my field box. The Dynatron will start a 50cc motor and if you hook it up to 24V it will probably get something quite a bit bigger running.

I've got a mall show the end of April........was thinking like you..........first flight after that.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:09 AM
bikerbc

Weight does get to be an issue...If you run the Dynatron on 12 V would it turn the G26 over fast enough to start it ? . I was a bit worried about needing to pack an extra 12 V battery too .. If that is the case what I will do is make up a separate starter trolly that has wheels and two batteries plus the starters etc... I might do that anyway .. I am getting too old to be packing heavy crap around.. A few yrs back our planes were smaller and we didn't need big starters but now I like the bigger stuff because my eyeballs are getting smaller or something...Good luck with your Mall show . I like displaying my planes and walking around answering questions ... We usually end up recruiting a few new flyers too ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.