Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

Starting issues

Old 03-31-2013, 01:27 PM
flyinGraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issues

Hi all,

Just after some opinions or any thoughts or help.

I've just had my P160 SE back from JC after a full rebuild and remounted it in my Carf Tutor.

Took it down the field to test yesterday only to find the engine wont run.

The start up sequence is like normal, ignition and the propane or kero plug valve pulses, but no fuel seems to be pushed through the pipes, the ecu tries 4 times, before starting accel delay, pump kicks in and forces some fuel through the pipes, but then the turbine cuts out saying low temp.

I'm thinking it's a faulty fuel valve, tested to see if my plumbing was all correct, but even removing the pipes and seeing if any fuel drips out the pipe during the start up sequence proves the valve doesn't seem to be pumping fuel.

Anyone any thoughts, does it sound like a sticky valve or faulty unit?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:07 PM
jonty

Default RE: Starting issues

Sorry If I am teaching you to suck eggs but have you run a manual pump and fuel valve test via the GSU?
Old 04-03-2013, 02:16 PM
flyinGraham

No worries, thanks for the reply [8D]

Have independantly tested everything and ended up removing it all to bench run the motor and all the gear ... which has created a whole host of other issues, so I suspect something is amiss somewhere, so in the process of speaking to JC to see if they can advise!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 PM
jonty

Ok - good luck!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:22 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A simple thing is to make absolutely certain the fuel (shutoff) valve is plugged in correctly to the ECU. It is very easy to plug it in backwards or to the wrong port. I have seen this innumerable times. Might be one reason they are integrating the valves into the newer turbine designs!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:37 AM
flyinGraham

Thanks for the replies guys, I agree, best to check and double check all connections.

For reference if anyone ever uses this if they have the same issues, I ended up getting to the bottom of my problems.

It turned out that the turbine, since being back from an overhaul and an ECU upgrade had been set to propane start, this in turn limited the valves and the glow plug voltage and seemed to be the basis of my problems starting the engine.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:45 AM
jonty

Well that would do it! Glad you got it sorted.