Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

2nd airplane choice after trainer?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

2nd airplane choice after trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Profile Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2nd airplane choice after trainer?

I set my Super Stick up as a taildragger and had no problems taking off or landing. I think you would be fine either way. I fly with an APC 11X4 on a OS 46 and this combination allows the plane to slow down nicely for landings.

The Ultra Stick came out after I bought my Super Stick. If I ever retire my Super Stick, I will replace it with an Ultra Strick. With a Stick like these, you will have an airplane that is still easy to fly, but will perform aerobatic flight as well. I have no regrets picking a Stick as my second plane.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:04 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

I would recommend a high wing plane with a flatter (less dihedral) wing. This will allow you to practice more aerobatics but still have a comfortable plane to fly and land. Something like the standard Stick (Sweet, Ugly, Big, Ultra, etc) would be a good choice.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...Page-_-HAN1730

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBMM9&P=ML

You can transfer the engine and I think the servos are standard size so you should be able to re-use those. The radio is made for the Nexstar as it has that stabilization system that most don't use anyway. You could use that but don't use the stabilization system. The plane will come with a tank, motor mount and most hardware. You would need to get some servo extensions, switch, and misc material to complete it. Figure another $60.00 or so.
If this is something you want to stay with , you should start saving for a good transmitter system where you can program different models and have extra channels, etc...
This isn't cheap but you don't have to spend a lot of money buying everything new either. Most of my equipment and planes were bought second-hand and some things were never used. That's part of the fun too for some in looking for good deals in the second-hand market.
Good luck .

how time flys....i remember when the Big Stik 40 used to be 99 bucks
Old 03-30-2013, 02:13 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Kaos 40, Sig 4-Star 40 or 60, Look at Tower Hobbies online.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:41 AM
reddog076
My Feedback: (1)

All of the above are good, BUT my fav in the EZ Sport. Very forgiving, inexpensive, and can do most acrobatics.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:39 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

[quote]ORIGINAL: Alena23

yes i think i will look into the hangar 9 stick model particularly the ultra stick their site has. it seems to be reccommended here. and i dont really care if it is ugly because i dont want to have someting nice and crash it because i moved up from a trainer to something i am not comfortable with. i want to build and costomize my own airplane from a kit and cover it with my own colours but i would like to slowly go into that part and keep advancing so i am ready. the convesion will also help give me some knowledge on building im sure. i just need to have time to do it but it seems it will not take very long. someone earlier suggested a new radio and i also have been looking around on tower hobby. the 4 channel i have now is old and my biggest fear is having a run-away airplane that i cannot control. so i am looking into the 2.4 ghz tactic 6 channel. they want 150 dollars for that one i think it was and it said it was for intermediate pilots who want to move up. it seems a good deal and looks like it can be used for many airplanes and set up properly. i will check up on all the other sugestions for the airplane itself but so far from reviews and such ultra stick looks like it will be the one.

[/quote

I would recommend to install just the basic ailerons on the Ultra Stik for now as flaps won't be something you will get to until you get more experience. You can always remove them and install the quad flaps and two extrsa servos later on of you want.
All sticks have wide wings and will float to a degree but not as much as the Nexstar.
The tail dragger stik will be another small hurdle to overcome compared to a trike. You will experience the most trouble on taxi and takeoff but you will get it eventually.
The Tactic radio is a newer radio system from Hobbico and it seems to have some good features for the price but it could be a system that might be discontinued at a moments notice and not replaced. It hasn't been around very long so it's hard to tell as opposed to radios by Futaba, Hitec, JR, Spektrum who have been around ...some for a very very long time. It only has one receiver to choose from but it's only $20.00 and that's inexpensive. Would be a good idea to search for some user reviews from floks actually using that system before making your decision.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:57 AM
GerKonig

Take a shot at the new stuff... Look at the H-9 Meridian (Horizon). You can go electric or gas or nitro if you really like slime... It's a nice design.

I had many "Sweet Sticks" in my life, my current one is the Giant one, with a 1.6 electric. It has unlimited vertical (unlimited fun). But, if you are new, something more attractive and modern will do. Look at the Meridian:-)

Gerry
The sweet sticks are so much fun you really might think they might be illegal...

Old 03-30-2013, 09:12 AM
winglift
My Feedback: (10)

Alena,
If you feel like you are ready to advance then go for it, however I would recommend that you keep the trainer that you have and perhaps use the receiver and battery, but keep the engine and servos intact. To move onto a more advanced stage be sure that you can recover from unusual flight attitudes and be able to maneuver okay, especially when the plane is coming towards you, using the current trainer that you have. When you can do that, then move on to the more advanced trainer. With a more advanced trainer you are more likely to try things that may cause some flight situations that you are not ready for and by keeping the trainer you would always have a backup. Just a suggestion.

There are several planes out there that might suit you and a great next plane might be the AviStar ARF advanced trainer Elite from Great Planes or the RTF version. This is designed for the next phase of learning how to fly. The RTF version includes a 6 channel radio, servos, and the OS 46AX, so all that you would need was glow fuel and starting equipment. The larger engine gives you more power than the 40 size that you have and would give you the power necessary to perform the more advanced maneuvers.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCNSX&P=ML

Old 03-30-2013, 11:28 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: Alena23

Hello everyone, i have been flying the hobbico nexstar 46 trainer for a few months and have really enjoyed flying this when i get the chance I got off to a great start with help from people here and at local club as well as youtube and other places. anyways, i have only had a few mishap but not any bad crashes just a few hard landings and one that broke some of the balsa wood where the landing gear attach but nothing serious and it has been fixed. I feel i have outgrown the this airplane and want to get more into the aspects of tricks. i feel nexstar is great airplane to learn to fly and fly around slow and learn the basics but not so much for advancing. i would like to know if anyone has any recommendation for what to do next. i would like a more aerobatic airplane that has some power for tricks but i notice the cost of these are very high new. is there anyway i can keep with the glow fuel equipment and engine, servo motors, reciever, and transmitter i have currently but just put into a different airplane so i do not have to buy all new?
many thanks, Alena.
Go for a U-CAN-DO .46 withan os.46AX or a good strung 4 stroke like a Saito 82 or heven go Electric ... But the U-CAN-DO can be flowen like a tamed down trainer and with a flip of a switch it will turn on a dime and give ya 24&1/2 cents chnge right know .... the best thing is it can be flow.n so slow on landing that it almost backs up in a head wind. No mater what ya hoose have fun that is what it all about FUNFUNFUN.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:38 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

I would also vote for staying with the current trainer and saving to buy all new equipment to keep the trainer intact. If you have had some bobbles then you still have a lot of work that you can do with the trainer. Thats not to say you could not handle a more advanced plane but really you may not need one yet. As for doing aerobatics Most trainers including your nexstar are capable of doing aerobatics. It makes you a better pilot to get stick time and fly what you have as opposed to stopping flying to get another plane set up. Once you have 2 complete aircraft together then you have a spare which is extremely usefull. My second plane was a tiger 2 which is a good airframe I like the escapade's, the sticks, and the pulse series. Ihave not flown a 4* but they seem very similar to all the other low wing trainers. I would work on what the trainer feels like in inverted and vertical flight though and see what it feels like to be stalling out at a high angle of attack and what holding that down elevator feels like when flying inverted. What does an inverted turn feel like what does the airplane look like, does it start dropping the nose in a steep inverted turn and feel the effect of feeding slightly more elevator into it. USEYOURRUDDERin turns and on lining up for landing. Concentrate on greasing every landing in a spot as opposed to landing just any old random spot on the runway. Learn how to balance your power and elevator to acheive a perfect glideslope for a percision touch down. These are skills that will serve you way more than learning how to make a loop. Here is the hardest skill to learn of any; fly a dead on straight line from one side of the field to the other. I see a lot of guys at my field that can do all sorts of things but fly in a good pattern or remain predictable. Mean while some of us can practice 3d manuvers while remaining in a pattern and not causing all sorts of headaches. Learn the skills that keep you flying when others will not like how to fly in the wind. The only way to learn how to fly in the wind is to fly in the wind. Every plane feels diferent in wind conditions. Trainers get real floaty and flippy while low symetrical wings tend to be less effected.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:43 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Like others have said, stick with your trainer for a while. Try doing basic pattern maneuvers, stall turns, split s, immelman turns,2-piont rolls, loops, when you can do all this smooth and consistant,then think about a second plane. When that time comes then a 4-star or a super sportster are both good choices![8D] Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:56 PM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

I would preorder the new and improved Sig 4 star ARF!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:03 PM
tony0707

After 24 years of flying RC a lot , I would go with the style plane I have the most flights on, because it is enjoyable to flyA 60 size STIK
Built with a slight anheadral wing , which developed after years of testing high wing designs myself
A flat wing with no diaheadral would be my second choice
Do make it a tail dragger !
The one I presently fly is a GREAT PLANES 60 size STIK ,with an OS 75 AX glo engine ( animal power for a 75 size engine -and turns 1000 more RPMS than my other 75 or any of my very powerful 61 size engines -on the same prop)
The plane goes unlimited vertical and flys at slightly less than half throttle during normal flying ,as good performance as a 60 size plane gets
My Midwest 40 size STIK is my second most flown plane of my fleet of 24 planes ,ranging from 40 size to 1.80 moki engines( to 1/4 scale )
I would keep the trainner and build yourself a complete second plane
Always good to have a back up , if one should need repair
If you fly for long enough ,there will be times when you have not been on the sticks for a while
A very good time to take out the good old flying ( trimmed ) trainner for an easy breezy day at the field , and get the cobwebs out
The high wing trainner should have the wing built flat ( or some anheadral ) ,with no diaheadral for it to fly best and not be fighting against you to keep the airframe centered in the sky
Flying on rails is were you want to be
You do need to have a semi symetrical OR fully symetrical rib design to do aerobatics , which the STIKS do have
Only some trainners have that design
A flat bottom wing will not fly inverned flight , so aerobatics are limited
A lot of opinion from a lot of experience
Hope it helps you enjoy what you are doing next
My 40 size MIDWEST UGLY STIK ( one of the very first STIK kits on the market years ago ) was the second plane I built 24 years ago
It has been RESTORED and recovered , five times for the sheer love of flying the thing
I still have it and fly it from time to time ,it is a very forgiving design and one of the few planes that has been DESIGNED FOR RC flight
Included is my extremely modified PT-40 trainner kit
Webra 60 enlarged rudder and built a second fully symetrical wing for the plane
It too goes unlimited vertical and on rails
ENOUGH ALREADY !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34953.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1868423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77322.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1868424  
Old 03-30-2013, 09:14 PM
retvsp
My Feedback: (81)

Some of the responses recommended sticking with the trainer a while longer which is not bad advice. What happened to me in the mid 70's was the instructor put crape (sp) paper about 20' on his and my plane. He said to try and cut his and he'd ry to get mine. Obviously we got up a little higher than normal and went at it. This put me in a lot of different attitudes I'd never been in, besides being fun, it taught me to not get nervous when getting into different attiudes from which to recover. I was amazed at how this exercise increased my confidence. Then at some point I went on to my next plane, a midwest sweet stik, with a much better feeling for awkward attitudes which I found myself in and recovering from. FWIW
Old 03-30-2013, 11:29 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: thepamster

...Tricycle gear are for trainers and jets...

Worthless comment in a beginner's forum, unless you tell us why? Can't wait to hear.

Kurt
Old 03-31-2013, 05:09 AM
sharpe917

I just said in another post I want the new SIG 4star ARF as my second plane. SigPlanes.com is now taking preorders on the 4star 54 and 64 arfs. I plan on placing my order this week.After leanring on a Kadet, I flew a Four Star 60 last fall and absolutely loved it.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:37 AM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

You can't beat the Ugly Stick design. There are a few out there that will keep you busy for quite some time. Can go from mild to wild. Your choice.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 AM
tony0707

The Horizon Hobby Ultra Stik is a really good flying Stik
From what I have seen at the field
Old 03-31-2013, 01:07 PM
chopper man

ORIGINAL: RCFlyerDan

Kaos 40, Sig 4-Star 40 or 60, Look at Tower Hobbies online.
I love the Kaos!! Getting ready to start building another one.

Gene
Old 03-31-2013, 02:57 PM
JollyPopper

Yes, some verssion of a Stick or some version of a four star is a great second plane. A four star set up right will slow down to walking speed on landing and I assume the sticks will too. I noticed that the new four stars have a cowl around the engine and look a bit sleeker that the originals. I certainly hope those changes in no way detracts from the performance of the older ones. I have three of the older ones, two forties and a sixty and am currently looking for a good used Saito 56 to put in one. I have convinced myself that would be a great combination.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:22 PM
Alena23

yes i like that one on the left. i am looking at the ultra stick, 4 star, and the great planes big stick 40. i see that one is in the tail drag style. i found a new place i may try if i get larger wheels because it is a grass landing strip not asphalt. i hear both to build tail drag or tri cycle and am a bit confused with all of the opinions haha i will probably stick with tri cycle like nexstar but i am open to try new things with it later like the tail drag. but i assume for grass flying tail drag would be better. thats just my guess because i notice alot of the real airplanes i see here(there are no shortage of bush planes where i live) that are not on floats are tail drag with big tires most likely for grass or rough landing areas. with that said i think i am going to invest in a quality radio and gear because from how it sounds you get what you pay for. i have my starting equiptment it came with it from the people who i bought it from. i will keep the nexstar as it is and just go ahead and build the ultra stick or which ever model i get new with what ever i want on it and possibly put floats on the nexstar for when i get better and decide to take it out to the lake. the nexstar will make a good plane to teach friends or whoever because it is so easy and if i had two airplanes i could link remotes and do that. but for now i am just taking off all the "training wheels" on the nexstar and flying as much as possible to get better. the flaps and spin stop things on the wing are off and i am pretty comfortable flying it. take off is not a problem i just get nervous landing but all it will take is the practice:P
Old 04-01-2013, 06:22 AM
thebest_102

As an instructor I do not like the Training aids sold with the nexstar and the PTS aircraft from Horizon. It all causes drag and can be argued to cause as many problems as they prevent. I would rather teach someone to just learn to fly the plane and use throttle to control speed not some external device mounted to the aircraft. I also like many others have the students disconect the AFS setup from a nextstar. I learned in Hawaii and now fly in Maryland. Ihave never seen the horizon sensor work well in the nexstar. Once again I perfer to teach that the student learn how to fix the attitude. A good trainer, which the nexstar is, will be docile enough and forgiving with out all types of crap bolted to it. There is something very nice and relaxing flying a trainer and I still fly trainer aircraft for fun not just in instruction. When I fly some simple aerobatics or I find a good windy day and fly a trainer with a negative ground track I hear students saying I didn't think a plane could do that. It then gives me the chance to say well it can be done by the same plane you have. You only need a little more time practicing. One key to being a great looking pilot is to grease landings. The best way to learn landings is to practice them over and over. I still do a flight of just shooting approaches and landings. It pays off in dividends when you go to a pattern contest and score 8-10's on landings and others are scoring 4-5's. When flying every aerobatic manuever is an election but landings are required on every flight. It's a true test of skill that you take the plane home in the same shape after a few landings.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Alena23

it is a really good airplane. i bet i could set remote on the ground and it would fly straight and stabilize itself with no help. i tried the gyroscope but it makes it glitchy and the ailerons randomly spasm so i didnt trust getting it in the air when it was randomly moving i felt that was a bad idea lol i do like how easily is breaks down there are no rubbet bands or anything i just take the wings, landing gear off, and put it in the trunk and its just as easy to pull out and fly. my landings are pretty rough usually and i come in too fast so i bounce back into the air pretty high and have to do a few go arounds until i get it right and even then i run out of stopping distance.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 AM
opjose

Stiks are GREAT second planes.

You'll never tire of them and are a blast to fly when properly powered.

Stiks - ARE - cool!

And much easier to land than PC9's etc...

They also fair much better in winds too, making them ideal for windy days.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:21 AM
thedeeman

If a Stik isn't cool enough or you want something more resembling a scale plane I recommend the Seagull .46 size PC9. It builds easy, fly's great, it's inexpensive, and can use all the gear from your trainer to get it flying within 2 evenings of building. And it's basically bulletproof. I still keep one as my go to plane even though my other planes are big warbirds. It always makes me like a pro when I fly it because it's so smooth. And it is fully aerobatic/pattern worthy on high rates.

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/pc-9-46-arf-new-version-SEA3155]http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/pc-9-46-arf-new-version-SEA3155[/link]
Old 04-05-2013, 01:45 AM
Barrymartin

if your only flight experience, i would suggest the hangar 9 as a next step. these are designed to emulate the flight performance, has more power, is a great flier, and can be easily modded to brushless, ailerons, floats, all kinds of things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.