Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Off brand 2.4 ssytems

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:39 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off brand 2.4 ssytems

N/A
Old 04-01-2013, 12:53 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Off brand 2.4 ssytems

Is that a path you really want to go down?

Think about it, it just takes the right one person convinced he/she has locked out or whatever on _______ brand radio system... and now all _____ brand systems are banned. Then what if brand _____ actually uses modulation made by _____, are they banned too?

If they are sold in the US they are type accepted for whatever band they are operating on.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Banning something just because it is new or different is a totally insane idea.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey
If they are sold in the US they are type accepted for whatever band they are operating on.
Although I agree with you in the general subject, this is too broad of a statement. With the current global market offered via internet, you could be buying an item not intended to be used in a specific country.

Now to k3 valley flyer:
What is the reasonong behind your proposed ban? Quality concerns? Reliability concerns? Do you think that aircraft are going to start falling out of the sky? A simple rule that EVERYBODY should follow is a range check at the begining of the day. If the radio system in question passes the range check, what is there to be afraid of?

Rafael
Old 04-01-2013, 02:54 PM
k3 valley flyer

N/A
Old 04-01-2013, 03:44 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Some clubs have valid reasons for 2.4gHz only rules, but other than that it would be best to stick to having the appropriate legal certification for your region (FCC, EU, C-Tick, etc).

Andy
Old 04-01-2013, 04:29 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

+ 1.

Karol
Old 04-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Rafael23cc

ORIGINAL: k3 valley flyer

There are already clubs resticting members to use 2.4 only even though 72 mz is still quite legal.
Yes, frequency conflicts is a vary valid point. The Joe Nall Fly In and IRCHA come to mind. There is nothing wrong with the event coordinators requiring 2.4 for alleviating workload at the fun fly. NOT THE SAME subject tho.

Is restiction of some unknow brands with unknown quality much different? Some clubs restrict to specfic types of aircraft, no helis or helis only allowed.
And I refrained myself from metioning it before, but in my mind those clubs have an Elitist attitude that is hard to control. And unless you get fresh blood to point it out, you will never notice it from the inside. If it is for reasonable safety reasons, you've got a point, but I've very seldom seen it explained that way.

Do you feel safe standing on the flight line next to a guy who converted his old 72mz radio with a $10 module he bought online from some unknown Chinese supplier. He may be an expert with electronics but are the parts he used relaible?
Are we talking about a plug-in module? or are we talking about a conversion? Two very different subjects. If the product was INTENDED for the use, then I have no issue as long as reasonable safety precautions have been taken care of (RANGE CHECK). If we are talking about a conversion.................. I would still watch him fly and let the system and it's creator prove themselves at the flightline. Some people like to experiment and some people like to fly. The experimenters are the ones that push the edges of the hobby. And I actually like that. But that is a very personal opinion.

Just asking if anyone else sees an issue with these very cheap radio products used widely indoors, especially in the last year, being taken outdoors for use on bigger faster planes? I don't, as I have seen these products already cause issues indoors, where there is not much risk of injury but outside is a different situation. Users of the cheap poor quality products will probably weed themselves out quickly, but hopefully before they hurt someone.
You need to understand 2.4 a little better. Indoors, is the worst possible case, when radio signals can bounce off the walls and metal objects swamping receivers and reducing latency. Outdoors, is a lot better, where radio signals can spread and reach their intended destination with a lot less swamping of the receiver from bounced signals. As long as a RANGE CHECK is performed correctly, there should be no problem with distance or speed.

Rafael
Old 04-02-2013, 09:28 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There will always be cheap junk out there and normally it goes by the wayside soon enough. Just because no one has seen a certain brand used at the field doesn't mean it's junk. Example; I use Assan with Futaba radios and no one at the field ever heard of it or saw it before. I've used it since it was introduced and have never had issue one with it ,even in my giant scale planes using the full range receivers.
I think bigger fields should be more concerned about someone using a "park-flyer" receiver in a larger plane than what the specific brand is.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:29 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

There's also clubs that opened near existing clubs that can get chartered now if they have a 2.4 only policy that otherwise would have required a frequency sharing agreement with the neighboring club etc.

Thats a logistical/managment reason, not a technical reason.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:00 PM
k3 valley flyer

N/A
Old 04-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Rafael23cc

I had hoped for more legimate discussion but as normal for RCU that didn't happen.
People raised some very good points including you. Where did you loose the conversation?

Please don't assume you know me or my motives. As our club president for the last 9 years I have lead our club to allow any type aircraft at our field, planes, helis, sail planes, u-control, even kites rockets and ballons on rare occasions. We allow any type power system, gas glow elcetric rubber band etc. We allow any type and brand of radio system as long as it is FCC and AMA legal.
Nobody assumed anything, specially me. BarracudaHockey hinted it in his first post, I just mentioned in my second post. You did not give any reasons for the proposal. We raised the points. You are the one that have not provided your club's line of logic for the proposal.

I too have been the Club President for close to 10 years. And AMA CD for even longer. Our club welcomes the same things you listed in your post, and with some precautions, maybe even more. It is all in good fun. Now is my turn to ask you not to assume anything from us.

I have seen the Orange receivers at the flight line of our club. But I have also seen the owner perform RANGE CHECKS with certain frequency. My entire point of view. As far as using off brands not as popular; once they have flown off the maiden (after a range check) they are welcome to fly in the pattern. We all started new at some point, right? The same thing happens to companies. They have to start somewhere. Limiting access because they are new or non popular may end up hurting you in the long run. Back in 1903, ARMY Officers did not think that the machine that Orville and Wilbur built was going to change their job. But they hasitantly adopted the new machine and look at us today.

Rafael

Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 PM
k3 valley flyer

What ever.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Rafael23cc

What ever.
You seem to be the one proving my point. I am trying to keep the conversation going.

Rafael
Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 PM
k3 valley flyer

I hoped for a conversation, your replies prove, at least to me, that your are looking for an argument. I am done. Goodbye. Gone flying.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

As someone on the outside just reading through this thread, I can't really see why the OP got his panties all in a bunch. It looked like there was a good conversation going on with some good points being made.

Now to participate in the thread, after looking at several of the "cheap" Chinese systems and watching guys use the various off brand receivers and servos that flood the market these days, I'm quite amazed how reliable the stuff really is. Its not necessarily my cup of tea but I certainly can't fault others for going this way. If the stuff works and is reliable, I can't imagine why a club would even consider banning it. Equipment that doesn't work will quickly eliminate itself from the market just as it always has and there has certainly been lots of bad equipment available over the years.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:11 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

As someone on the outside just reading through this thread, I can't really see why the OP got his panties all in a bunch. It looked like there was a good conversation going on with some good points being made.

Now to participate in the thread, after looking at several of the ''cheap'' Chinese systems and watching guys use the various off brand receivers and servos that flood the market these days, I'm quite amazed how reliable the stuff really is. Its not necessarily my cup of tea but I certainly can't fault others for going this way. If the stuff works and is reliable, I can't imagine why a club would even consider banning it. Equipment that doesn't work will quickly eliminate itself from the market just as it always has and there has certainly been lots of bad equipment available over the years.
I agree with you 100%
Old 04-04-2013, 03:22 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I also don't understand why the OP feels this went in the ditch.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

More rules we don't need and if the stuff doesn't work we will soon know about it here. To each his own in this hobby/sickness as long as no one else is endangered.
If you arn't happy with what someone is using let them fly while you watch, it will sort it's self out very quickly![:@]
Old 04-04-2013, 05:36 PM
blvdbuzzard

Reading through this thread, I have to say I have been the one bringing the "NEW" stuff to the flight line. I was the first one to bring this "cheap" plastic Tx to the cub. I was scorned because the Tx case was made of all things, plastic. Every one knew that the only "good" stuff was made of stamped aluminum. The new cheap stuff was a Futaba setup. Funny how things have changed.

I was ridiculed for bringing cheap stuff into the club again. It was a cheap foreign made thing. They laughed at me for wasting my money on this cheap junk. It was a Super7 from Hitec. Funny how things change.

I have been laughed at for bringing my 9x to the field. More cheap Chinese junk. Well I have had zero, issues with it. It has been bullet proof. I have had less issues then members have with their name brand stuff. I have been using things that fit my need, not what some one else's idea of good stuff is. I will try it once, if it fails, I will move on to the next item. I test every thing well before it goes in the air. Then it is with small stuff then onto the bigger stuff.

I do not need the super duper uber great titanium geared 1200 ounce torque servos for my 25 sized plane. The $6.00 servo works just fine. Yet there are those out there that tell you that is what you should be using. I was told by one club member that he would not fly with me because I was using Airtonics gear. He did not trust it. I had to fly with Futaba, the only good trust worthy radio gear.

If the radio gear has the required FCC sticker, then what?

From my time at clubs, the people are the cause of most failures out there, not the gear, even the cheap stuff.

After reading the thread twice, it seems to me that the OP wanted a lot more people to agree with him and he did not get it so he took his ball and went home.

Buzz.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:46 AM
karolh

I do think that your last sentence hit the nail right on the head, but you should have added "and like a spoilt child" to your "took his ball and ............
Old 04-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: karolh

I do think that your last sentence hit the nail right on the head, but you should have added ''and like a spoilt child'' to your ''took his ball and ............
To be fair to the OP, I too have "gone off" in a couple of threads when things took a turn not to my liking. Later on, when rereading through the posts, I realized I was wrong about my perceptions of the thread. Perhaps that is what happened here.

Sometimes it is very hard to put into words in a post what would be very easy if we were having an in person conversation. Here online, things can go in directions completely not intended.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Rafael23cc

I hoped for a conversation, your replies prove, at least to me, that your are looking for an argument. I am done. Goodbye. Gone flying.
A good spirited conversation sometimes sounds like an argument. But to each it's own. See you at the field... Someday....

Rafael
Old 04-05-2013, 10:21 AM
karolh

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

ORIGINAL: karolh

I do think that your last sentence hit the nail right on the head, but you should have added ''and like a spoilt child'' to your ''took his ball and ............
To be fair to the OP, I too have ''gone off'' in a couple of threads when things took a turn not to my liking. Later on, when rereading through the posts, I realized I was wrong about my perceptions of the thread. Perhaps that is what happened here.

Sometimes it is very hard to put into words in a post what would be very easy if we were having an in person conversation. Here online, things can go in directions completely not intended.

Yes I do agree that we all at some time or the other tend to 'loose it a bit' when things don't go exactly as we would like it, so hopefully you are right in your final assesment of the OP.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:48 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

Reading through this thread, I have to say I have been the one bringing the ''NEW'' stuff to the flight line. I was the first one to bring this ''cheap'' plastic Tx to the cub. I was scorned because the Tx case was made of all things, plastic. Every one knew that the only ''good'' stuff was made of stamped aluminum. The new cheap stuff was a Futaba setup. Funny how things have changed.

I was ridiculed for bringing cheap stuff into the club again. It was a cheap foreign made thing. They laughed at me for wasting my money on this cheap junk. It was a Super7 from Hitec. Funny how things change.

I have been laughed at for bringing my 9x to the field. More cheap Chinese junk. Well I have had zero, issues with it. It has been bullet proof. I have had less issues then members have with their name brand stuff. I have been using things that fit my need, not what some one else's idea of good stuff is. I will try it once, if it fails, I will move on to the next item. I test every thing well before it goes in the air. Then it is with small stuff then onto the bigger stuff.

I do not need the super duper uber great titanium geared 1200 ounce torque servos for my 25 sized plane. The $6.00 servo works just fine. Yet there are those out there that tell you that is what you should be using. I was told by one club member that he would not fly with me because I was using Airtonics gear. He did not trust it. I had to fly with Futaba, the only good trust worthy radio gear.

If the radio gear has the required FCC sticker, then what?

From my time at clubs, the people are the cause of most failures out there, not the gear, even the cheap stuff.

After reading the thread twice, it seems to me that the OP wanted a lot more people to agree with him and he did not get it so he took his ball and went home.

Buzz.

Buzz,
Well said. What is an "Off Brand". I purchased a Weatronic Transmitter module and two receivers to match for my Futaba 9C because I thought the Weatronic technology is the best RF link offered at the time. It is probably considered an "off brand". It is probably the most expensive modules available but I can't recommend it to other potential buyers because of the lack of English (German made) support.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.