Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

RC Plane And RC Helicopter Collide Mid-Air

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC Plane And RC Helicopter Collide Mid-Air

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:16 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: RC Plane And RC Helicopter Collide Mid-Air

ORIGINAL: radfordc

When you act as a spotter do you watch the plane or is your job to watch for other flight hazards? I would bet that this spotter was admiring the beautiful Zero instead of calling out the helicopter hovering over the runway.
The idea is to scan the entire airspace and keep your pilot informed of what's around him hazard wise.,, you can just watch from a lawn chair sipping an iced tea, if you're standing by a pilot help the guy out
Old 03-31-2013, 03:03 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What??? Flying alone is no fun, plus is dangerous.

Who are you going to chat with? Who is going to call 911 if your prop decides to be aggressive?

Who are you going to impress with your stunts?

Old 03-31-2013, 05:13 PM
Gixxy
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Who are you going to chat with? Who is going to call 911 if your prop decides to be aggressive?

Seriously !

HEY GUYS WATCH THIS !!!!!!

Famous last words ;D
Old 03-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

alone as In being the only Pilot, or at most with two other pilots who are friends of mine, even then we take turns and never have two aircraft in the air...

I will always have a friend nearby who can call for help.. .

As for stunts. . . The only person I am capable of impressing is myself.....

Old 03-31-2013, 09:09 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I think the comments about the helicopter being wrong are completely ignorant and ridiculous. I truthfully don't like being around helicopters, and I don't like them hovering over the landing strip. However they are flying models just like our planes, and have to abide by club rules. All of the clubs I've belonged to have heli-flying members, and all have had general guidelines for where to fly. These typically include a 'racetrack' for sport flying and an area across the runway for 3D and helicopter flying. 

If you are going to do a low pass over the runway, you need to call it out. If there are other people flying, you need to listen for approval. Just because you say it doesn't mean it's heard.Communication takes two people, not one.

I was pretty much thinking the same thing. Just because you say something doesn't mean that it was heard or that its smart to do  

How about we blame the airplane pilot, he was the one hauling ass through the sky and slammed into what was a nearly fixed object 

But honestly I truly believe 99% of the time there's no one to blame In a midair. Sometimes bad things just happen. 

No one is to blame. It's just lessons that are learned. You can minimize your chance of a mid air collision with good communicatio, spotter, and first and foremost trying to be aware of more then just your aircraft. In the end the person that's really keeping a eye out for your plane is you !

+1

Just another day at the field. 

The heli pilot, if he was holding an inverted hover, is focused on his bird. The warbirds flier flying right-to-left has a greater field of view and should have seen the heli in time. The monetary loss could be equal for both pilots. No one to blame, stuff happens. 
Old 04-01-2013, 05:12 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

As for stunts. . . The only person I am capable of impressing is myself.....
Gee, I resemble this comment, I impress myself just landing in one piece! I prefer flying with my No. 4 son the Eagle Scout, someone has to climb that tree when dad is experimenting in alternative landing areas!

This thread makes me think of the old story about the rock and the pitcher. "It doesn't matter if the pitcher hits the rock or the rock hits the pitcher, it going to be bad for the pitcher!" In the case of a midair collision I'm sure both of these pilots would like to have done something different and both will do something different to prevent this from happening in the future. The important thing here is we all need to look on this accident as a learning situation and be all the more cautious in the future. It's like the prop strike articles in the AMA magazine. The guys who send them in want to spare us their pain so they give us the benifit of their hindsight, gory pictures and all!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:47 PM
ssautter

The FAA seems intent on changing this....

ORIGINAL: beepee

Full scale rules of the air and right-of-way have no relevance in the world of RC, so why bring them up here?

Bedford
Old 04-02-2013, 12:09 AM
beepee

Outside of UAVs, the FAA is not intent on changing the rules of the air in the world of RC. They MAY be intent on changing the rules of interaction between RC and full scale (or where RC can fly in the National Air Space). That is a subject that has been covered adequately in other threads.

BP
Old 04-03-2013, 06:50 PM
ssautter

Wishful thinking....

Sharing airspace between model helis and airplanes creates a tremendous "grey area", in the video. Both pilots were at fault. Both pilots crashed.
Sharing airspace between models and full-scale aircraft creates another "grey area". This is taking much more time, and many more resources,than available on RCU.

The video in the beginning of this thread is publicly viewable on the Yewtoob.
Some amateurs go a step further with "onboard video", which may be punishible by a crime, in certain States.

The amateur videographer is not immune to the consequences of a crash, just because his/her camera is not on either one of the aircraft, in the video.
AMA bylaws dictate that a model aircraft must be deemed "airworthy" before being flown ata sanctioned event, in front of spectators (i.e. camera-persons).
If a pilot is not welcoming to having their flights filmed, then the videographer should stay well behind the flightline, and well out of the "grey area".

I've seen far too many Yewtoob videos labeled "Maiden Flight and Crash", tooffer anyexemptions for any model pilots.
A little full-scale experience can go a long way towards sharing airspace at any airfield. Have fun and stay safe....
Old 04-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Dreddi
My Feedback: (3)

The only thing either pilot did wrong was FAIL TO COMMUNICATE! neither did anything else wrong and neither is/should be responsible for anything but their own aircraft.