Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:31 PM
THRL-CKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Anybody else having trouble fitting wings to fusse? It's like the wing tube does not line up. Any ideas on possible fix would be appreciated.

I have thought of tweaking the wing tube to fit. Tearing the wing tube out and re-aligning it. Making filler to fit between wing and fusse.

They lack 1/2 to 3/4 inch of meeting fusse at trailing edge.

Also if anyone has an extra set of tubs I need some.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:47 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow where did you buy this from?

Mike
Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

would making the hole in the fuse bigger help? then when everything is lined up glue some extra blocks into the fuselage like shown in pic below
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35337.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1869197  
Old 04-01-2013, 03:14 PM
kmrcjets

hi xairflyer
you are spot on. if the spars don't line up do this. make the holes bigger
then bolt the wings to the fuse. make sure everything lines up then glue in
the new blocks. it's what we have been doing in oz. works great.
ken
Old 04-01-2013, 03:16 PM
kmrcjets

do this for the front spar as well
Old 04-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Jeremy_D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What Ken said. This allows you make sure both wings are lined up perfect and only takes a few minutes to do and it also adds some strength to the side fuse where the spar is as well. This is a pick of mine before the hysol was added.

Name:	Us55401.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1869256  
Old 04-01-2013, 10:57 PM
BaldEagel

I wonder why this happens on some and not on others, the fus must come out of different moulds to be this far out, or would it be different wing jigs perhaps?

Mike
Old 04-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Jeremy_D

Mine was only out by about 2mm on the front of one wing, prob not worth worrying about but I'm just anal like that
Old 04-01-2013, 11:37 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

mine was as out as well, but i just re-aligned the front spar, and potted the hole in with a milled fibers/resin mix. been great for ages now.

Thanks

dave
Old 04-02-2013, 01:26 AM
SeaHawk

On my Falcon the front spar holes weren't even drilled in the fuselage.. One side had a molded in circle where it should be but the other side was bare.
Careful measuring and drilling (slightly oversize) and the glued block method explained previously and all was well. The first flight on my Falcon was with a RAM750 for power. Second flight ended when a blade exited through the exhaust duct on takeoff. Falcon now has a Kingtech K80 (slightly de-rated) and flies beautifully. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrBdMA2Iq5Y for vid.

Col
Old 04-02-2013, 02:39 AM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: SeaHawk

On my Falcon the front spar holes weren't even drilled in the fuselage.. One side had a molded in circle where it should be but the other side was bare.
Careful measuring and drilling (slightly oversize) and the glued block method explained previously and all was well. The first flight on my Falcon was with a RAM750 for power. Second flight ended when a blade exited through the exhaust duct on takeoff. Falcon now has a Kingtech K80 (slightly de-rated) and flies beautifully. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrBdMA2Iq5Y for vid.

Col
de-rated?????[X(]

I started out with a Wren 54 Mk2.5 and now have a K80F running at max twat[8D]

Thanks

dave
Old 04-02-2013, 02:43 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

I wonder why this happens on some and not on others, the fus must come out of different moulds to be this far out, or would it be different wing jigs perhaps?

Mike
The pic is from my Navycat, it was not because it never lined up but the fuselage hole was about 5mm diam too big for the tube, the kit came with new blocks to glue inside the fuselage, so obviously this was done to allow for the ones that don't line up. The supplied blocks were not useable as they were poorly made and still loose on the wing tube so I made my own.
Front spar hole also needed drilling in the fuselage which was better so I could make sure it was inline myself.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:40 AM
kmrcjets

my falcon has a K100G on it cant say it goes much faster than a falcon with a K80
but go vertical with the throttle wide open it wont stop climbing great fun
ken
kmrc jets oz
Old 04-02-2013, 01:57 PM
SeaHawk

ORIGINAL: ticketec

de-rated?????[X(]

I started out with a Wren 54 Mk2.5 and now have a K80F running at max twat[8D]

Thanks

dave
On advice from Phil C. I set max rpm to 140,000. I doubt if it has lost much power, if any.
Most flights, loops, rolls etc, at 1/2 throttle. Just the right speed for my old eyes.
I love flying it.

Col
Old 04-08-2013, 12:54 PM
wfdigiprint
My Feedback: (4)

I have interest in a CLEAR CANOPY AND COCKPIT for the falcon 120, someone that can give me information??
Old 04-15-2013, 02:03 AM
SeaHawk

ORIGINAL: SeaHawk-RCU

Test flight of my Falcon 1.20 hopefully tomorrow.

Col
Good luck Col,

What club in BNE to you fly at? I'm hoping to go out with the falcon120 tomorrow, but they are predicting 25-30kts winds so that might mean I get more workshop time.

Thanks

dave

Hello Dave,
I have just found this post, sorry about that.
The Falcon test flight went off well. RAM 750 on back performed well, flew with 5 clicks of up trim. I left the gear down for the maiden. All ok.
Second flight the RAM shed a turbine blade just after takeoff. Punched a hole clean through the exhaust duct. Gear up and landed in the rough, right main wasn't quick enough and was ripped out.
Falcon now repaired and with low time gas start Kingtech K80 fitted. I love it.
I am a member at LARCS in Logan City though most flights of the K80 powered Falcon have been at Tingalpa due to the floods in Feb. Where abouts are you based Dave? Would be great to fly together one day.
Cheers
Col

Name:	Ca82928.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1872320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11008.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1872321  
Old 04-15-2013, 02:20 AM
ticketec

Hello Dave,
I have just found this post, sorry about that.
The Falcon test flight went off well. RAM 750 on back performed well, flew with 5 clicks of up trim. I left the gear down for the maiden. All ok.
Second flight the RAM shed a turbine blade just after takeoff. Punched a hole clean through the exhaust duct. Gear up and landed in the rough, right main wasn't quick enough and was ripped out.
Falcon now repaired and with low time gas start Kingtech K80 fitted. I love it.
I am a member at LARCS in Logan City though most flights of the K80 powered Falcon have been at Tingalpa due to the floods in Feb. Where abouts are you based Dave? Would be great to fly together one day.
Cheers
Col

uh, nasty.[]

I live on the north side so a member of SAAMBR and used to be member of the southern cross warbirds so have got round to most of the clubs in S.E. QLD. I've flown warbirds quite a few times at LARCS

It would be great to get together for a fly. Are you going up to the "cancelled" but still on Marybourgh jets? There is normally at least 3 Falcon 120's there with various setups and turbines, and just an awesome event and field!

Thanks

dave
Old 04-15-2013, 02:35 AM
SeaHawk

uh, nasty.[]

I live on the north side so a member of SAAMBR and used to be member of the southern cross warbirds so have got round to most of the clubs in S.E. QLD. I've flown warbirds quite a few times at LARCS
I was a member of SCAF for quite a while Dave so we have probably already flown together.

It would be great to get together for a fly. Are you going up to the "cancelled" but still on Marybourgh jets? There is normally at least 3 Falcon 120's there with various setups and turbines, and just an awesome event and field!
I was intending to go when it was on but now that it is off but still on I will see who else is going up. Might see you there.

Col

kittyhawk at optusnet dot com dot au

Old 04-15-2013, 03:32 AM
ticketec

I was a member of SCAF for quite a while Dave so we have probably already flown together.

It would be great to get together for a fly. Are you going up to the ''cancelled'' but still on Marybourgh jets? There is normally at least 3 Falcon 120's there with various setups and turbines, and just an awesome event and field!
I was intending to go when it was on but now that it is off but still on I will see who else is going up. Might see you there.

Col

kittyhawk at optusnet dot com dot au

love the fact the modelling community can be so small some times

It's back on again, but just not open to the public. here is a cut & paste from another forum:

I got this message from Ian Cawthray

Jets over fraser Coast on the Friday 28th june to Sunday 3oth june will be run as a social fly in for jets only this year .
This is a closed event with no public .
A canteen will run for hot food from 9am to 2 pm on all days
Camping on site is $ 10 per site per night . ( no power on site )
A pilot fee of $ 20 dollars for 3 days of flying .
Raffles will be run over the event with good prizes .
All model must have certification and all pilots must have current licence .
Come to Maryborough for a great flying event .
Flying 7am till dusk ..
For more details ..Ian 0418879611
.. Steve 0400703779

I have just left a message at our regular place we stay at in town to book some cabins. better get cracking with the my new EDF project I want to have finished for the event! and go throught the falcon 120 to make sure everything is all good.

Thanks

dave

P.s. I do really miss the good 'ole SCAF days before it went all pear shaped. Here are some pic's that might help you work out who i am

Name:	Xv63538.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	1872329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40482.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1872330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32554.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1872331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53461.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	821.0 KB
ID:	1872332  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:06 AM
Jeremy_D

K've been slowly plugging along at mine, off to a conference for the rest of the week so finished both wings tonight. All working well with no servo stall. 20deg take off and 45deg landing flap easily achieved.

elevator stab is also finished and glued. Pic of it attached to my Boom Stick

Name:	Xv63743.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1872334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66620.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1872335  
Old 04-21-2013, 11:49 PM
SeaHawk

Hey Jeremy,

Can you take some pics of the carbon fibre reinforcement around the u/c mounts in the Gen 3 Falcons please?
Secondly, is 20degrees of flap effective for takeoff when using split flaps? My understanding (probably flawed) was that using conventional flaps that the best lift drag ratio was obtained with about 12degrees and that with split flaps it is all drag.
My Falcon with the K80 doesn't need any flaps for takeoff from grass.

Cheers

Col
Old 04-22-2013, 02:36 AM
BaldEagel

Have a look here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11461211/tm.htm on post two.

Mike
Old 04-22-2013, 10:20 PM
SeaHawk

Have a look here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11461211/tm.htm on post two.

Mike
Thanks Mike.

The pics on the Kestrel thread seem to show carbon fibre laid across the top of the engine bearers and some reinforcing of the sheeting near the flap mounting. I cannot see if there is any at the bearer/rib join which was the weak spot on my Falcon. The right hand main on mine was torn out after the turbine shed a blade and I had to do a wheels up in the rough (rh main wasn't quick enough in retracting). The left main fell out after a normal landing on grass. The bearer to rib join wasn't good. I replaced with gussets on each contact point and all seems good now.

What I am really trying to find out is if the factory, the the Falcon Gen 3/Kestrel, have strengthened the bearer to rib join or simply laid CF across the top of the bearer.

Cheers

Col

Old 04-22-2013, 10:26 PM
BaldEagel

I assume you meant undercarriage bearers and not engine? To be honest what I think they have done is layered carbon onto the wing sheeting prior to glueing it onto the wing ribs. What I think they should have done was extended the bearers another rib. Have to admit on my Falcon as with all the fus formers when I worried the UC bearers they all fell out, what this did do was make it easy to Hysol them back in with some reinforcement.

Mike
Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 PM
SeaHawk

I assume you meant undercarriage bearers and not engine?
Yes, I should have been clearer there.

To be honest what I think they have done is layered carbon onto the wing sheeting prior to glueing it onto the wing ribs. What I think they should have done was extended the bearers another rib. Have to admit on my Falcon as with all the fus formers when I worried the UC bearers they all fell out, what this did do was make it easy to Hysol them back in with some reinforcement.

Mike
I should have done that in the first place but I was in too much of a hurry. Yes, you are correct about extending them,, even a butt join against the third rib would be better. I will keep an eye on the Kestrel thread Mike,, how soon before the build report is ready?

Cheers

Col

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.