Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

FLY FLY F-100 Build

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

FLY FLY F-100 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 12:35 PM
DGM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLY FLY F-100 Build

Bought a Fly Fly F-100 foam Arf a couple months ago and started to build it this week. The instructions have very nice isometric drawings and parts identification but, leave out some VERY IMPORTANT POINTS. Before you glue ANYTHING together install the servos and servo extensions. This is particularilty important for the two rear fuselage halves. The elevator servos and extensions MUST be installed before the two halves are glued together. The servo leads go into grooves on the inside of the duct and exit at the top of the fuselage. Then the extensions fit in very narrow grooves just below the top of the fuselage and run from where they exit the inside duct and run all the way to the fronttof the rear fuse halves. If you glue the fuse halves together first you will not be able to install the servo leadsthey go inside of where the two halves are glued together. Likewise cover the servo leads where they go around the in side of the duct. I covered them with 2 inch wide clear strapping tape and glued the edges of the tape to the foam duct walls.

Install the assembled nose gear to the right side of the front half of the fuselage and run the servo lead through the groove in the fuselage and out where the receiver will be. Again, if you do not do this first you will have a devil of a time getting the nose gear installed. Also cover this lead with tape.

Finally, there are three l shaped pieces of wire, one of which is part of nose wheel steering and two that go in the elevators and two [ieces of wire that are part of the main gear mounts.. On mine the flats ground into the wires for mounting the gear legs and the control arms on the elevators were ground out ion the wrong side of the wire. Not a big deal and easily fixable, but be aware of it.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:27 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: FLY FLY F-100 Build

Just waiting on mine arriving, ordered from Airshowrc.com, got caught
up in the Chinesse New Year, going on 52nd day since ordering, tracking
number says it was in Chicago on the 10th of this month.

Did you order the EPS or EPO version and what EDF unit are you planning to go with?
Will be following your assembly / build................

Bill D.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:45 AM
opjose

I hope to shoehorn a Shulman 90mm "Fury" fan into mine.

It's been sitting in it's box awaiting a build since last year.

DGM thanks for the tips, much appreciated... anything else you could add would be helpful.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:13 PM
DGM

I am back working on the 100 again. All the servo and battery connections run from the rear fuselage to the front fuselage cockpit area with exception of nose wheel steering. Be sure to run all the wiring out the front of the rear fuselage before gluing the front and rear fuselages together. There is only a small hole in the rear fuselage to run the wires through and if the two halves are put to gether before the wiring is done you will have a very hard time getting the wiring done. In fact I fed my wires from the rear section through the front section before I glued the two hallves together. I suggest you scrape off the paint where mating surfaces will be glued together. The aileron wires runjing from the receiver out thye bottom of the fuselage go down each side of the fan unit. I suggest tying a string between them so they do not slip back into the fuselage.

After gluing the front and rear sections together I applied glass cloth across the fuse joint inside the wing saddle area to give added strength. I also cut slits on the outside upper fuselage surface on both side where there is a panel line and glued carbon tow in the slits running a couple inches into the front and rear sections to give added strength to the joint. Next project is joining the wings which looks pretty straight forward. Each wing joiner consists of two identical plywood pieces laminated together. Agter I laminated them I drilled several holes in the joiners to give the glue a better grip. I also suddest you glue the aileron control horns to the aileron in addition to the little slip fit piece that is supposed to hold the horn.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:20 PM
DGM

Back again. I installed the flying tail/elevator per the instructions and was not happy with the "floppiness". SOOO I drilled a 5/32 hole throught the stab mounts from one side to the other and tied the elevators together with a 7 1/4 inch piece of brass tubing epoxied to the 1/8 inch L pieces previously glued into the elevators. The brass tubing goes al the way into the elevators "til it hits the L part of the wire in the elevator.in the wire. Now the elevators/flying tail operate together as a single unit with one servo. The advantage is more rigidity and you do not have to slave one of the elevator servos to the other. If this doesn't work I will just glue the flying tail to the fuselage and cut out normal elevators. Yes the tubing goes through the exhaust duct but is so close to the bottom it should not have any effect on the exhaust air.

The canopy took some fitting. I cut away some of the fuselage at the top sides at the front of the canopy opening so the canopy had a shallower angle to slide into the notch.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My Fan unit arrived today, an E-Jets JetFan 90 V-2, now just
waiting on the motor to arrive, going with HET 700-68-1400,
still researching the retracts, and I have decided to go 10 cells.....
Might send Lenny @ Shindin Machine in Georgia the struts and have
him improve them with a new set.

Bill D.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77931.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1870454