Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

SAMS 2013 Warbird Racing Schedule

Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

SAMS 2013 Warbird Racing Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 01:02 AM
carider67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SAMS 2013 Warbird Racing Schedule

Ollie, looks like some bad news . I went out to SAMS today to re-maiden the "Old Yellar" and break in the YS115S. Well, put a tank of 30 Heli Fuel - 23% oil - and it ran like a gem! Went thru a 1/2 a tank or so, varying the speed, running a lite prop - 13x13.5N - took it real easy on the first flight, running very rich. I said to myself, "Boy, this thing has excellent throttle control even running fat!". Well, as I started to trim it out I noticed a big fat orange glow driver hanging way down - the long one, of course - from the engine. Not wanting to lose it, or worse yet damage the engine on landing, I made a nice approach to the runway - dead air - from R to L. Slowed down, and it went wizzing right by at 40 mph! So, around again - throttle trim all the way down, stick down - same result. Next time around, I wanted to use the throttle kill - took my thumb off the stick for a split second, and wham! I pancaked into the runway & bounced about 20 ft straight back up.....Guess I hadn't trimmed the elevator yet! And then hasty gear up & deadstick in grass. Damage to valve cover & gasket, I got real lucky and didn't break any screw holes! Installed new gasket & valve cover, looks like new. No broken engine mount or anything, so I think I'm ok there - will run tomorrow on stand to make sure. Damage to gear, one ripped out, both aileron servos, cracked wing ribs both sides , etc. I don't trust the wing even as a Gold backup, so I have to haul ass and finish my primary if I can..... Babies (2) still due any time.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:58 AM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris,

I'm sorry that things didn't go very smoothly for you today. I'm worried about rushing things, and overlooking something; as this has been my pattern the last couple years . . . and here I am, again.

Well, as you can see from the post time, it is a late night for both of us! It has taken me until now to put all the finishing touches on my plane. She is balanced as well as I can get her without cutting extra hatches in the rear of the fuse to move the battery back further, but is still nose heavy. Got the receiver and antenna wires installed properly. Fixed a stripped thread on my wing hold-down plate. Raked my landing gear forward a tiny bit more. Before balancing and raking the gear forward, she wanted to nose over when I ran up the power (after I finally got a working engine installed.) And a few miscellaneous other tasks.

Beings it is a much later night than I'd expected, beings you came out Friday, rather than Saturday, and it doesn't sound as though you're coming back again today, I won't worry about getting out at 10:00 a.m. to meet you. I will probably get a little more sleep and then go out later (more like 12:30). I still have the World Models wing you gave me last year. I don't know when I'd get around to putting it to use, personally. Sounds like you could use it back. I'd like to see you get back in the air quickly. If you want it, it is yours . . . again. Let me know when you're coming into town next and I'll bring it to you.

Ollie
Old 03-30-2013, 09:07 AM
carider67

Ollie,
Don't know how we got on different days of flying, but that's that. Go ahead and keep the wing I gave you, I have a new one in the box from my VooDoo that I can't use on that fuse, as it has a "race" wing on it, that changes the saddle. I'll make the race one way or another, I have plenty of plane/motor combo's - it really just comes down to getting something in the air while trying to be a good husband & dad - the twins are literally going to come out any day now. We have an appointment for C-section on April 16th, but who knows if they wait that long! Well, good luck on your maiden and hopefully it turns out better than mine did! At least my fuse/motor(s) combo is fine & running, I should be able to get a wing together in a week! Shoot, in the old days I'd just be picking up my kit about now for the next weekends race! I'll just have to modify my "On board glow system". Primitive, but hey, it worked! Well, off to Home Depot & the baby store........ Will be building later - my other half understands how much this means to me. Chris.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:22 PM
carider67

Well, got the airplane back home to survey the damage - not at all as bad as I thought..... Nothing major broke or hit, just some sheeting and the left gear blocks torn out. After doing some Easter stuff, it was back to the drawing board.......looks like I'll have to recover the wing, I've been wanting to use the checkerboard covering from Ultracoat anyway on bottom for visibility, and just standard yellow on top to match my paint scheme. Look at the retracts - they took a hell of a hit!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66038.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	1868974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15647.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1868975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95089.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1868976  
Old 04-02-2013, 03:31 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hows the weather looking for sunday guys?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:50 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

As of right now 40% chance of rain. It's been warm and cloudy in the bay area although they have been pridicting chances of rain here too.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:52 PM
MFLOOD3800

I know no one is a weather guru, but if someone could post on Thur what the local channels are calling, Id appreciate it. My final decision will be thur nite. I have a 12 hr one way trip and dont want to waste it. You all know what I mean. Im not asking for a prediction, just what the local station says.
Thx
Old 04-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Racewizard
My Feedback: (2)

Is there something wrong with the registration screen on the internet? When I try to register for this weekends race at SAM's and I push submit it sends me to ASK web site. What am I doing wrong????

Thanks
Babe
Old 04-02-2013, 05:30 PM
MFLOOD3800

something strange happened to me as well. Call JR (his nimber is there) and pay and ask if he got the e registration. Mine went through, even though it seemed like it didnt.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Babe, if you want I can call JR and let him know you will be there or even better if you give me your info I will sign you up on Sat.

Marty I will post the weather report and call JR to see what it looks like first hand

Old 04-02-2013, 06:22 PM
MFLOOD3800

copy that thanks!!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:49 PM
carider67

I can directly control the weather - If I fix my plane & get it done, it will rain! If I don't, it will be sunny out..... The weather people have it raining in Sacramento but just overcast in the Bay Area - and they are usually wrong! Hope you make it out, and I get to meet you...... But more than likely I will be in the hospital - wife having twins - and just Monday my Cancer started kicking my butt again, left me unable to function for a few days.... And my mother in law is staying with us Anyway, if I don't make it out, good luck to all and good racing! And thanks for making the drive out. Casey, you have a plane waiting here if I don't race...... You can even race on my fee, it's pre-paid.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 PM
PLANEBENDER
My Feedback: (3)

I sure hope the weather is clear but if not I really pray they don't reschedule in May. A million events including the Redding race. JR, Any thoughts???

Planebender
Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 PM
carider67

How many people are going to Redding? I might want to get in on that if I can. Babies permitting, that is..... I'll have my new plane (VooDoo) done by then. I can pitch in for gas if anyone has room in an RV?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Jimmy Skids

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the race would,be pushed back a week if the weather is bad. Usually this is a "game time" decision. I sent JR a text and hopefully he will chime in soon.

Chris sorry to hear you are having to deal with health issues, I hope things improve and that everything goes well with the birth of the twins. Hang in there and if there is anything that I/we can do to help please let me/us know.

Jimmy Skids
Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 PM
pjakew
My Feedback: (4)

From my past experiences, races will not be cancelled unless it is a downpoor at the time of the race. Sucks Indeed! I am practicing tomorrow and if my plane survives I will register. I do know that once I register the chance for rain will jump to 100% !
Old 04-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Jimmy Skids

Many of us are planning on going. We usually bunk at a local motel (at least we did last year). I'm sure we can add you in to the car pool.

Skids
Old 04-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Trashman88

What I can see, it is only supposed to be some showers but as normal, the weather men are not right half of the time.  I will try everything I can to make sure the race goes on.  The positive part is that the wind is suppose to be calm.
The game plan is to run the race unless it is none stop raining.  I have run races before in that condition and we got through it.  I would not just reschedule it for a little rain.  Hope you all will still come.

If some reason the rain does not let up then I will have to reschedule it but I will have to look at the schedule to make sure there is no conflict but at this point of time, I do not plan on rescheduling it as most people set there schedules around the racing schedule.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Trashman88

Babe, I got your registration already.  I came in my email tonight.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:54 AM
MFLOOD3800

Again I will might say I am only after the local forecast from there. I can probably make my own decision to come or not based on your expert reports, but I want the most accurate info possible. I appreciate the help.
I have used 2 different sites and they are just that, "different". One would cause me to stay at home, and one would suggest I make the trip.

Im looking forward to racing there and meeting everyone.
Chris I certainly pray for you and hope you push through all the trials in front of you.
Here I am "concerned" over something as simple as the "weather", while you are addressing real life issues.
Especially the "mother in law" thingy.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 AM
joedonkey

I hope the weather holds.... I'm really excited for this year, I am going to take my M/c ing to a whole new level ( be afraid ) more info on pilots and planes... so I will be walking around getting to know eveyone better... I thank you all again for letting me do it... I know i do get irritating some times but look at the positive side.... you only see me a few days a year!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: joedonkey

I hope the weather holds.... I'm really excited for this year, I am going to take my M/c ing to a whole new level ( be afraid ) more info on pilots and planes... so I will be walking around getting to know eveyone better... I thank you all again for letting me do it... I know i do get irritating some times but look at the positive side.... you only see me a few days a year!
Are you kidding, Joe?! . . . "Let you do it" (?) . . . I love that you choose to do it, and do it so well!

As far as I am concerned, we are all the better for it. You and Jerry Votaw have always been my favortie MCs. I didn't mention it earlier, but I am glad you'll be racing some, now too.

Marty,

If you still need them, here are a couple local weather stations:
http://www.kcra.com/weather
http://fox40.com/weather/

I caught KCRA's chief meterorologist's forecast tonight. He's stating Friday: high of 68, partly to mostly cloudy; Saturday: high of 70,partly to mostly cloudy; Sunday: high of 68, partly cloudy. The forecasts keep getting more optimistic each day.

Chris,

I too wish all the best for your speedy recovery, and healthy little ones soon running around your house. I plan on going to Redding, and am unsure if I have anyone going with me at this point. I went with Casey and Teddy Bear (Todd) last year (I drove them in my Suburban, pulling Teddy Bear's trailer); but, last I talked to them Todd isn't sure he's going, and Casey doesn't know when he'll get a plane finished, and therefore whether he'll go. We stayed in a hotel last year, and I plan on the same again this year. Between Jimmy's group and me (or mine), rest assured, we'll get you there!

So Jake, sounds like you're planning on being locked into bringin' salsa no matter what!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:30 PM
sergio varo

Our Local News Tonight Said NO RAIN THIS WEEKEND...
Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Racewizard

OK thats great, I'll write a check when I get there

Thanks
Babe
Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Jimmy Skids

ORIGINAL: Iron Dog

ORIGINAL: joedonkey

Are you kidding, Joe?! . . . ''Let you do it'' (?) . . . I love that you choose to do it, and do it so well!

As far as I am concerned, we are all the better for it. You and Jerry Votaw have always been my favortie MCs. I didn't mention it earlier, but I am glad you'll be racing some, now too.

[&o]
What am I chopped liver? But, alas you are right metal pup, Joe does a great job. I can still hear JV say "let's get it on" at the start of he race. I'm sure he will be watching from above and holding back the rain clouds.
Skids

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.