Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Slipstream ARF's

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Slipstream ARF's

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 01:14 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Slipstream ARF's

I have just come across their product line from AZTech models...nice planes, nicer pricing.

Interested in any comments from those who have purchased, assembled or have flown them.

Nice RV-8 here: http://store.aztechaeromodels.com/st...&product_id=55

Jerry
Old 04-02-2013, 04:19 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Slipstream ARF's

Jerry:

A friend and I each have their Super Chipmunk. Neither of us has assembled it yet, but we agree that the build quality is very good. Design wise, it is just a big 40 size. It has a one piece wing that is attached to the bottom of the fuselage. The tab that holds the front of the wing in place is just two pieces of 1mm light ply and one of mine is broken off. (I will glue it back on and insert a piece of 1/8" music wire spanwise through the tab and a couple of inches into the center ribs.)

The structure and the hardware are very light duty. I expect that it will be perfectly adequate for a 120 glow engine or 110 electric conversion, (and fly very well with them, it is light) but I would definitely not put a gas engine in it. It is not built for that much vibration.

Jim
Old 04-02-2013, 05:09 PM
amc72
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jim I was looking at this as a home for my 26. I guess I'll keep looking.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 AM
jrf

Jerry:

I noticed that the RV 8 has a two piece wing with a carbon fiber tube. It and the MXS have a higher price also. Maybe that one is more suited to gas power than the Chipmunk? Why don't you get one and report back.

Jim
Old 04-03-2013, 02:55 PM
tailskid

JIM, Don't TEMP me.......I'm too easy

We have a couple of guys thinking of getting one of the Beavers....but are concerned about the weight - too large an aircraft to weigh so little.....and for a gas burner to boot.........sure hope one does it and saves me from buying one and finding out <g>.

If I get one, I'll do a Product Review for someone - sure wish RCU had an easier way to publish their reviews as I'm not too sharp with raw code....

Jerry
Old 04-03-2013, 04:53 PM
jrf

Jerry:

Judging by the price and some of the details, the Beaver appears to be the same series as the Chipmunk. I suspect it is a one piece wing and has the same light construction as the Chipmunk, not the same as the more expensive RV and MXS. That would explain the low weight. It would be worth a call to Aztech to find out about the wing at least.

Go for the RV 8... and put your 26 in that.

Jim
Old 04-03-2013, 07:23 PM
amc72
My Feedback: (2)

Some people seem to like the RV8
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 04-04-2013, 06:40 AM
ultra6a
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: tailskid

JIM, Don't TEMP me.......I'm too easy

We have a couple of guys thinking of getting one of the Beavers....but are concerned about the weight - too large an aircraft to weigh so little.....and for a gas burner to boot.........sure hope one does it and saves me from buying one and finding out <g>.

If I get one, I'll do a Product Review for someone - sure wish RCU had an easier way to publish their reviews as I'm not too sharp with raw code....

Jerry
I recently completed assembling one of their Beavers and would recommend it to anyone. Despite the light weight the plane is solidly built. I was actually suprised at how well built it was for a $200 plane. Especially after having purchased one their earlier version MXS which was built so light that I broke streamers in it while picking it up and had to rebuild / strengthen the firewall after the motor pulled it out.

It does have a one piece wing that is a hassle to transport. If you buy one, make sure you have the joiners turned the right direction to ensure the wing has the proper diehedral. You will also want to check the lateral balance on the plane. Mine wanted to drop the left wing alot on initial flights. I put a Mintor 38 on mine and fly the heck out of it.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:33 PM
tailskid

Is it a windy weather plane also?
Old 04-06-2013, 03:11 PM
MKnutson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just give Azar a call and he will answer any questions you might have.

Mark.