Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Too Split or Not too Split CARF Eurosport

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Too Split or Not too Split CARF Eurosport

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:46 PM
number27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Split or Not too Split CARF Eurosport

Any advantage or disadvantage over splitting the elevons on the Euro????

Already have four servos installed, haven't made the cut as yet.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:59 PM
stevekott

Default RE: Too Split or Not too Split CARF Eurosport

With that big delta it really cuts down on the need for flaps. In the interest of keeping it simple I would skip the split. My Eurosport is probably my easiest plane to land.

There's an expression about that delta "It won't stall but it will surely fall". It likes to land with the nose a little high and then add power to control the sink rate. If you want to land slower you can raise the nose up even more put be prepared to add a LOT more power to keep it from sinking. Heck with enough power and vectored thrust you can hover the plane.

It's not a real fast plane and mine has a tendency to get tail flutter going too fast. That's not what this plane is about. It's incredibly maneuverable and fun to fly. I don't think you will miss the flaps. Just my opinion.

Steve
Old 04-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Not for flaps, for redundancy

I ran four servos too, I didn't split-really depends on your servo matching set up if you don't split. The Euro is much crisper on roll/stops with four servos, no "bounce" softness on the stops
If you can match don't, the slight rub would be if one servo seized...but IF a servo failed more likely lost power, so it could be driven by the other servo.

Dw
Old 04-02-2013, 11:27 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I had an airframe failure on my very old and well use Eurosport.It resulted in the left inner surface being jammed down by about 25 degrees. It was pretty hairy but I managed to get it down because I had split the elevons. So redundancy is the main benefit.
John
Old 04-03-2013, 06:24 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Hi mine surfaces ar split with more movement on the inside surfaces for nicer rolls and overall nicer handling .
Old 04-03-2013, 06:45 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: stevekott

With that big delta it really cuts down on the need for flaps. In the interest of keeping it simple I would skip the split. My Eurosport is probably my easiest plane to land.

There's an expression about that delta ''It won't stall but it will surely fall''. It likes to land with the nose a little high and then add power to control the sink rate. If you want to land slower you can raise the nose up even more put be prepared to add a LOT more power to keep it from sinking. Heck with enough power and vectored thrust you can hover the plane.

It's not a real fast plane and mine has a tendency to get tail flutter going too fast. That's not what this plane is about. It's incredibly maneuverable and fun to fly. I don't think you will miss the flaps. Just my opinion.

Steve
You can't use any part of the elevon as a flap on a delta anyway.... "flap" on a delta is down elevator. All "flaps" will do on a delta is make the nose go down....
The servos as mentioned are for redundancy and to power the large surface. They didn't use to use two per elevon either, but the two with perfectly matched servos and no split is how I would go.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:09 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

In original fiber classic instruction the split is only when you using regular surfaces one inside for elevator and the outside for ailerons use if you don't have delta wings mixing option for old radios.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:20 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't split
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36450.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	1869730  
Old 04-03-2013, 10:00 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

How do you match servos so close that they do not fight one another? I would be worried that with a tight deadband, you end up with less torque to the surface that if you had one servo?

Unless you have a ton of slop built into the linkage or a wide deadband on the servo (kind of defeats the purpose).
Old 04-03-2013, 10:06 AM
stevekott

OK roger that on the Redundancy but .... 3 months ago I was getting a little crazy an sloppy with mine, did kind of a pancake landing. Checked the gear out thoroughly, no problems.

On the next flight after take-off I had a real bad flying aircraft on my hands. Turns out the bad landing had busted lose my left Elevon servo. It was just flopping around inside the wing. The plane kept wanting to snap over to the left. I was able to reduce power level off and continue flying with 1/4 right stick 1/4 back stick. I didn't know what was wrong but I knew it was something bad. After about 3 or 4 circuits with very shallow turns I was able to land it well without a scratch. During the taxi I noticed the left Elevon hanging down. I went to move it to check for stripped gears and heard the servo just clanking around freely inside the wing.

So the plane with one servo on each wing already has built in redundancy. Just kidding! The only point I'm trying to make is the Eurosport will still fly with only one servo (but not very well). Until it happened to me I would have thought this scenario would have been a certain smoking hole.

Lesson learned, waggle the sticks every time before takeoff .. "Flight Controls Free and Correct".

Again just my opinion. I would save the extra weight and complexity of the additional servos and split. Buy a Vectored Thrust pipe and use those servos for that.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:15 AM
JohnMac

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: stevekott

There's an expression about that delta ''It won't stall but it will surely fall''. It likes to land with the nose a little high and then add power to control the sink rate. If you want to land slower you can raise the nose up even more put be prepared to add a LOT more power to keep it from sinking. Heck with enough power and vectored thrust you can hover the plane.

Steve
You can't use any part of the elevon as a flap on a delta anyway.... ''flap'' on a delta is down elevator. All ''flaps'' will do on a delta is make the nose go down....
The servos as mentioned are for redundancy and to power the large surface. They didn't use to use two per elevon either, but the two with perfectly matched servos and no split is how I would go.
Well you can and I have done it, but the caveat is that it has to be a canard delta. As previously described the elevons can be depressed along with the canards. The canards need to move a lot more in order to balance the done elevator. It worked OK on the Eurosport, but I came to the conclusion that I had overcomplicated the thing, The Euro lands slowly anyway.
John
Old 04-03-2013, 11:18 AM
JohnMac

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

How do you match servos so close that they do not fight one another? I would be worried that with a tight deadband, you end up with less torque to the surface that if you had one servo?

Unless you have a ton of slop built into the linkage or a wide deadband on the servo (kind of defeats the purpose).
You split the Elevon. You get snappier control. The wing on the Euro bends ( at least mine does (but then I am a card carrying hooligan!)) The split stops the control jamming a bit I reckon. I have flown the Euro both ways and split is the way to go for me.
John
Old 04-03-2013, 11:29 AM
basimpsn

Well I have the same length push rod, Standard metel gear servo and I also use a servo programer to set the dead band. Only at max travel the servos start buzzing and how offen we give max input and for how long .

If you have a one servo per wing and one goes dead...That's a roll either way.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:33 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnMac

You split the Elevon.
Sorry John I was not clear, I was referring to the non split case, with 2 servos connected to a single rigid surface.

I agree with you I would split it no question
Old 04-03-2013, 11:56 AM
EDFCrazy

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

You can't use any part of the elevon as a flap on a delta anyway.... ''flap'' on a delta is down elevator. All ''flaps'' will do on a delta is make the nose go down....
Seems you can, just watch the landing of the rafale at 7:25 in the video below. Interesting to note that when it flares there doesn't seem to be much up elevator either, maybe the canard was doing most of the work?
im guessing the down elevator and up canard are creating lift.. some at the front and some at the back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyAo2sBSpVo
Old 04-03-2013, 12:47 PM
number27

Thanks all for you opinions. It's split 50/50 as to advantages or disadvantages.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine is under construction and the surfaces are split. A) because one smaller surface for one servo is better. B) I can program the inner surfaces independently to tune flight characteristics like roll C) if one servo dies I have three more to help out D) no extra matching or match boxes required I can do all thats needed by radio alone

Looking forward to some high alfa flying!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:46 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

OT: Should edit your title to say "To split or Not to split... that is the question" Shakespeare...
Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Turbotronic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnMac

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

You split the Elevon. You get snappier control. The wing on the Euro bends ( at least mine does (but then I am a card carrying hooligan!)) The split stops the control jamming a bit I reckon. I have flown the Euro both ways and split is the way to go for me.
John
You hit the nail there. The large surface has some bend in it which results in the surface to have a type of overcentre snap. It makes centering and trim very difficult. So Split it is....
The first of my ES had a very pronounced bend and it was near impossible to get it to centre. Latter ones seem to have an improved stiffness....
Andre

Old 04-04-2013, 01:28 AM
Couch Potato

From the CARF manual

However, if you choose to fit lower specification servos you
can fit 2 in each wing and split the control surface between
the central ribs that are moulded-in to allow this. Do not
split the functions of the control surfaces (ie:: elevator only
on the inner and aileron only on the outer surfaces) as the
reduced surface area for each function severely limits the flying performance of this model, and in some circumstances, for example at very slow airspeeds, you will not have sufficient control.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:56 AM
Turbotronic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Couch Potato

From the CARF manual

However, if you choose to fit lower specification servos you
can fit 2 in each wing and split the control surface between
the central ribs that are moulded-in to allow this. Do not
split the functions of the control surfaces (ie:: elevator only
on the inner and aileron only on the outer surfaces) as the
reduced surface area for each function severely limits the flying performance of this model, and in some circumstances, for example at very slow airspeeds, you will not have sufficient control.
Agreed, the split is not to ailerons and elevator but to discouple the bending from the structure. So the 2 halves move in unison.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:22 AM
basimpsn

So why don't they split 100cc 3D Ailerons?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17630.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1870071  
Old 04-04-2013, 05:45 AM
kimhey

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I chose to not over-complicate things. My ES has hundreds of flights....one servo (Futaba 25kg) one surface. ( Statistically, for each servo you add, the greater the chance for a servo failure..)