Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Engine Starter

Old 04-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Goodie_2_Shoes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Starter

Hi everyone,

I'm after a new engine starter, the old one I have had trouble turning an O.S 91sf on a cold day. Reason being I have recently acquired a YS DZ160 and I don't think it has a hope in hell of turning it. Can anyone recommend a new starter that is capable of tuning the larger YS engines? I would prefer something that is portable; however, I do have a 12V power supply I can lug aroundor a starter that would be easily modified to accept a 4s Lipo.

So far the Sullivan dynatron starter is willing, being able to accept 12v-24v but the price is a little bit of a turn off. Aus $199.00 or from Amain hobbies US 109.00 (not too bad).

I'm just interested in what people can suggest I'm sure there is plenty out there I have never even heard of.

Cheers

<o></o>

Old 04-02-2013, 03:43 PM
MTK

Default RE: Engine Starter

ORIGINAL: Goodie_2_Shoes

Hi everyone,

I'm after a new engine starter, the old one I have had trouble turning an O.S 91sf on a cold day. Reason being I have recently acquired a YS DZ160 and I don't think it has a hope in hell of turning it. Can anyone recommend a new starter that is capable of tuning the larger YS engines? I would prefer something that is portable; however, I do have a 12V power supply I can lug aroundor a starter that would be easily modified to accept a 4s Lipo.

So far the Sullivan dynatron starter is willing, being able to accept 12v-24v but the price is a little bit of a turn off. Aus $199.00 or from Amain hobbies US 109.00 (not too bad).

I'm just interested in what people can suggest I'm sure there is plenty out there I have never even heard of.

Cheers

<o></o>

Dynatron is only one.Several geared down set-ups work fine.

I use Dynatron and paid full price. A friend got his from eBay in near new condition for $40 US. He beat me to the punch.... Suggest you take a look there and track these when they become available...
Old 04-02-2013, 03:46 PM
kevenoco
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will need a gear reduction starter to start that YS. A 4S lipo is a great idea as well. I know of 3 starters available: Magnum is a simple 2 gear system with medium quality. The Kavan starter uses a planetary gear and is better quality (German I think). These 2 are the most popular around here. The last is a Turnigy belt drive starter sold by Hobby King. I've never seen one though but I'm sure it would work fine. It's the cheapest.

Hope that helps.

Keven
Old 04-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Goodie_2_Shoes

Thanks, I just had a quick look there is few for around $90 but they want $60 postage!!! However, I will keep an eye out thanks again.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Goodie_2_Shoes

ORIGINAL: kevenoco

You will need a gear reduction starter to start that YS. A 4S lipo is a great idea as well. I know of 3 starters available: Magnum is a simple 2 gear system with medium quality. The Kavan starter uses a planetary gear and is better quality (German I think). These 2 are the most popular around here. The last is a Turnigy belt drive starter sold by Hobby King. I've never seen one though but I'm sure it would work fine. It's the cheapest.

Hope that helps.

Keven

Thanks for the suggestions, I have had a look at the HK one before. Just from reading the comments etc it seems like they have had a few problems with the belt drive.... Still might be worth a go but I'll keep looking in the meantime.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:28 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been using the Kavan geared with a 2200mAh LiPo since 2007, that thing turns a DA50 like an OS46, I never had a problem starting all my YS, we have used my starter to start all YS powered aircraft in one day of competition practice without recharging, I strongly recommend that set up as it is the most powerful and compact of all setups. SIG is the USA dealer and have all part if ever needed and is cheap.

regards
Old 04-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Goodie_2_Shoes

Am I right in saying that the Kavan starter from SIG is only $65. That's a lot cheaper than anywhere else I have seen...
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/MainMenuFV5.html?E+Sig
Old 04-02-2013, 06:38 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Magnum geared starter with Makita 18V lithium ion battery works well (loose the alligator clips and fitted Deans ultra plugs) but is a bit iffy on a cold morning with unknown state of charge (only ever charge it up every few months??).

A half charged 5S lipo would work well as a battery too.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:12 PM
riot3d

I've been using Kavan starter exclusively for over 18 years, it starts everything from the old 140 FZ to the current day 175 DZ without any problem. I bought mine from B & P Associates:-

http://bpassociates.homestead.com/bp.html

Adrian
Old 04-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Goodie_2_Shoes

So I've found a Kavan starter with a battery holder that will accept a 4s lipo and that also has free postage within Australia. Best of all it doesn't cost too much, think I might bite the bullet and go with a Kavan I'm sure it will last a long time.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Cheers
Ben
Old 04-04-2013, 03:26 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ben,

I use the Magnum geared starter with 2 x 3s 2200mah Lipo's in parallel. I have used this starter from my first YS 140. It turns over my YS 160's without any trouble.

I am also using this on my 170 and 175 cdi's. The only time it wouldn't turn over the 170/175, was in Mildura and Bendigo early in the morning on the first start of the day when there was a frost.

I now also have a Sullivan Dynatron with 2 - 2 x 3s LiPo's in parallel and then the 2 parallel packs in series, which gives me a 6s 4400mah battery for them cold morning starts. I still use the Magnum the rest of the time.

$69.95 at Tates.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:22 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use this one (PAM1002B) with a 4s A123 pack: http://www.pacaeromodel.com/FieldEqu...erPanel/PP.htm

I was able to start a 75cc gas engine (just showing off), but I would not recommend doing this all the time
Old 04-04-2013, 05:27 AM
Fran Ferrante

I am using an Align STQ100 airplane starter, on my YS175 CDI in my Axiome+.
This is the same starter CPLR used at the worlds in Munce.
It is the litest starter on the market with a 2300 Lipo.
I never had a problem with it.
This is the best starter I have ever owened.
I fly 4 days a week an have been using the starter for 2 years.
Fran
Old 04-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Goodie_2_Shoes

ORIGINAL: Fran Ferrante

I am using an Align STQ100 airplane starter, on my YS175 CDI in my Axiome+.
This is the same starter CPLR used at the worlds in Munce.
It is the litest starter on the market with a 2300 Lipo.
I never had a problem with it.
This is the best starter I have ever owened.
I fly 4 days a week an have been using the starter for 2 years.
Fran

Wow that Align starter looks amazing, thanks it has given me something else to consider. FYI I am verry jealous of your plane.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Goodie_2_Shoes

ORIGINAL: drac1

Ben,

I use the Magnum geared starter with 2 x 3s 2200mah Lipo's in parallel. I have used this starter from my first YS 140. It turns over my YS 160's without any trouble.

I am also using this on my 170 and 175 cdi's. The only time it wouldn't turn over the 170/175, was in Mildura and Bendigo early in the morning on the first start of the day when there was a frost.

I now also have a Sullivan Dynatron with 2 - 2 x 3s LiPo's in parallel and then the 2 parallel packs in series, which gives me a 6s 4400mah battery for them cold morning starts. I still use the Magnum the rest of the time.

$69.95 at Tates.

Thanks Scott, I did have a look at those ones. If I am reinvesting in nitro I may as well plan nitro for my next f3a plane and buy a decent starter that will last. Are you coming down this way anytime soon? I should have the RX for the magic this arvo start programming tonight and maybe test flight this weekend. I've rebuilt Mel's trainer should that ready for its re-maiden this weekend also.

<o></o>

<style type="text/css"> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-priority:99;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0cm;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Cambria;mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}</style>
Old 04-07-2013, 08:23 PM
pvogel

I had one of those align starters, they are truly amazing. I sold it when I sold off all my glow equipment.

Peter+
Old 04-07-2013, 09:40 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Goodie_2_Shoes

ORIGINAL: drac1

Ben,

$69.95 at Tates.

Thanks Scott, I did have a look at those ones. If I am reinvesting in nitro I may as well plan nitro for my next f3a plane and buy a decent starter that will last. Are you coming down this way anytime soon? I should have the RX for the magic this arvo start programming tonight and maybe test flight this weekend. I've rebuilt Mel's trainer should that ready for its re-maiden this weekend also.

<o></o>

<style type=''text/css''> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:''Table Normal'';mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-priority:99;mso-style-parent:'''';mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0cm;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Cambria;mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}</style>
Hi Ben,

Is Mel going to let you fly her trainer after last time? lol.

I get home from work Tuesday night and set sail for Australia Wednesday night. Flying at Ballarat this weekend and then going to Sydney via Queensland for the nationals. The next time i will be at PFL will be for the May comp.
Don't hesitate to contact me if you need to know anything.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Goodie_2_Shoes

[/quote]

Hi Ben,

Is Mel going to let you fly her trainer after last time? lol.

I get home from work Tuesday night and set sail for Australia Wednesday night. Flying at Ballarat this weekend and then going to Sydney via Queensland for the nationals. The next time i will be at PFL will be for the May comp.
Don't hesitate to contact me if you need to know anything.
[/quote]

Well she will have to hurry up and go solo that way she will have the opportunity to crash it . After pulling back the covering on her trainer the whole airframe was about 15% spac filler, it's amazing it didn't explode mid-flight!

I think over the next few months I will be focusing more on pattern than IMAC; though, I am heading to SA for a comp in two weeks.... NEED TO PRACTICE!!!

Thanks Scott for the help, good luck over in Australia, make sure you give all those electric guys hell and I'll catch ya next month at the comp.

Also, big thanks to everyone else for the suggestions.
<style type="" text=""> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:''Table Normal'';mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-priority:99;mso-style-parent:'''';mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0cm;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Cambria;mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}</style>