Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 06:36 AM
donddsms
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

Hi All, I'm new to this thread. My Revolver arrives tomorrow, I have a DLE 20 for it. Can't wait to get this bird in the air!!
It's going to take some time to get through 264 pages of posts. I expect to find loads of help here, thanks in advance.
Don
Old 03-31-2013, 09:32 AM
VictoryRoll
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Don ! This is Don !

This is a great thread with great people that have a wealth of knowledge, especially with your setup (DLE 20).... Welcome to the thread and I hope you have a boatload of fun and antics with your new Revolver 70! Personally, I am breaking in a new Saito FA-100 for her, while moving the servos to the aft of the fuse for short control rod setup on ELEV & RUDD.

You may or may not have read that there is a mfr.'s defect with these planes... The distance from the wing root to the servo bays on the wings are different on each half, which makes alignment of the servo rod to the control-horn about 1/2" to 3/4" off on one half, If you go back about 30 pages or so (guessing here) you should see all of the info necessary to both define it fully and to solve it, until the new wings come in this May sometime.

There is also the problem of the landing gear snapping off on hard landings, especially grass (in some reported cases, not so hard landings). Again, plenty of material in this thread to find the problem and several solutions that people have used to beef up the firewall to landing gear mount.

EVERYONE tells how awesome of a plane this is. I myself am dying to get mine in the air too!

Very best of luck and enjoyment !

Don
Old 03-31-2013, 10:12 AM
dwreel

donddsms : We are in the same boat. I have a DLE 20 and theRevolver. Just finishing up another plane before I start. Keep us posted on your progress and I'll do the same. Gas engines are new to me, so I will be reading the entire forum, again, Also, I haven't sent off for a kill switch as yet. Will get a heavy duty receiver switch soon. Allready have a 2000mah battery for the ignition..

Good luck with your's.

dick.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:01 AM
JoeMamma

We finally had some nice weather on Saturday, so I maidened the Revolver. What a nice flyer !

I went with an O.S. 1.20AX and a Bisson Pitt’s style muffler. The 1.20 makes her climb like a rocket !

Used 1 1/2†90 degree aluminum angle to reinforce the landing gear (both Home Depot and Lowe’s carry it).

The firewall and forward structure were beefed up because of the added horsepower. I added a set of flying wires on the tail just for extra insurance.

Also because of the extra weight, I added an adjustable wire strut to the main gear (just to keep it from bending outward).

To dial in the CG, I had to make a hatch on the rear/bottom of the fuse for battery placement.

She came out about 1.5 pounds heavy, but she’s still a nice flyer with no problems.

I've been flying a Hangar 9 Pulse 125 with this same engine, but the Revolver is much faster.

Joe M.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16077.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	1869135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26629.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	1869136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52353.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	1869137  
Old 04-01-2013, 01:13 PM
wjcalhoun

Hi Joe
Glad your maiden went well.

What is your all-up, dry weight?
What prop are you using?

I had an R70 with that engine and loved it. She died due to clevis failure. Current R70 flies with a DLE20.

Don't be afraid to prop her up; that airframe really comes alive with speed.

Bill
Old 04-01-2013, 04:17 PM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Hi Joe
Glad your maiden went well.

What is your all-up, dry weight?
What prop are you using?

I had an R70 with that engine and loved it. She died due to clevis failure. Current R70 flies with a DLE20.

Don't be afraid to prop her up; that airframe really comes alive with speed.

Bill
Hi Bill,

Dry weight came out at 10.1 pounds. I started off with an APC 15x8 prop. Don't know yet if I want to go down to a 15x6 for insane climbing ability or up to a 15x10 for higher speed.

What really surprised me was how much power that new O.S. 1.20AX has in the Revolver airframe even though the 1.20 was brand new and had never been run.

For the first two flights it was also flown on the rich side with a smoke trail following her. After I get some miles on her I'll start to lean her out on each subsequent flight. I also haven't farted around with the low-speed needle yet. Even though O.S. says their engines come preset, I usually always need to adjust the low-speed needle to get a good transition.

I have gotten lazy in my old age and have been breaking in my new engines in the air........so far so good (knock on wood [X(]). I have two other O.S. 1.20AX's with at least 35-40 hours of flying time on each. Almost all of my O.S. engines seem to get better with high mileage.

Joe M.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:13 PM
SkyPilot101

Joe, How much flight time you getting on how many oz's?
Old 04-02-2013, 04:33 AM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: SkyPilot101

Joe, How much flight time you getting on how many oz's?
This engine hasn't been leaned out as of yet, so I really can't determine exactly how much fuel is being burnt.

I hav'nt really checked fuel economy on my other 1.20AX's, but I will typically replace about a half tank of fuel on each refill.

My typical flight is about 10 minutes, so let's see..........half of a 10 ounce tank is 5 ounces of fuel.....so I would guess they are burning up about 1/2 ounce per minute. I guess I could get in a 20 minute flight if possible.

Joe M.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:32 AM
ICEM@N

Oh man ... I need to find that template that i have posted in this forum about the liteply template for dual tail servo , and i am not finding it !! Could someone know where it is ?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:19 AM
VictoryRoll
My Feedback: (2)

Hiya Ice,

I could not find yours readily, and if you do find it, please let us know which post it is... BUT

I did find the post by u2fletch that has a DXF (AutoCad) file which I used for the dual servo template. You can find free readers online of that file-type. It is Post#6354. Hope that helps???

EDIT: I went and did a "Search this Thread" and found your post (I believe this is the one you want?) Page# 155 Post # 4108

Don
Old 04-04-2013, 08:01 AM
ICEM@N

Thanks Victoryroll !!! You saved me !!! thanks a lot ...
Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 AM
rolliedog12
My Feedback: (3)

Hey JOmama I have the exact same set up and love it,   I really like the flying wires that you added, thinking I may just have to copy that.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:03 AM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: rolliedog12

Hey JOmama I have the exact same set up and love it, I really like the flying wires that you added, thinking I may just have to copy that.
Thanks for the compliment !

For a list of parts numbers for easily making up sets of flying wires go to this link and see Report (Post) numbers 142 and 144 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post23802053

Joe M.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:23 AM
rolliedog12
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:38 AM
wjcalhoun

Joe
Enlighten me on the flying wires.
They add drag, while increasing support of the Hstab and Vstab. However, collapse of the tailfeathers during maneuvering has not been an issue with the R70.
What problem are you trying to solve with them? No criticism implied - just asking.

Bill
Old 04-04-2013, 11:41 AM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Joe
Enlighten me on the flying wires.
They add drag, while increasing support of the Hstab and Vstab. However, collapse of the tailfeathers during maneuvering has not been an issue with the R70.
What problem are you trying to solve with them? No criticism implied - just asking.

Bill
Hi Bill,

Added insurance only............

No, I didn't see any problems with the Revolver's stabs, it's just that over the years I've had a couple of tail sections blow away while doing some high-speed maneuvers. The last time it happened was with my Hangar 9 Pulse 125. Fortunately I was able to land it with only half of the stab attached.

I just make them up for added insurance on any planes that I do any "thrashing" maneuvers with (does not include any of my scale planes).

Also, the total weight of the wires and hardware was less than one gram (less than 1/28th of an ounce). The drag (to me) is negligable.

Joe M.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

I don't know if this has been covered before but I thought I'd let everyone know of a possible problem. After flying my Revolver the other day I took off the canopy and one of the front dowels fell out. I checked and found the other dowel to be loose also. It may be an isolated thing that happened to me but to be on the safe side I would suggest everyone check those dowels. I re-glued both of mine. Otherwise, it has been an excellent flying plane. I've got about 30 flights so far. I'm running a Mintor 22 in mine.

Mike
Old 04-04-2013, 01:21 PM
ShuttleAU

Hi

One of my dowels became loose as well. A while back now so I reglued it. Did not think to post it here , simply put it down to wear and tear.

BC
Old 04-04-2013, 01:49 PM
wjcalhoun

Mike
Common problem with many ARFs, including the R70 and R90.
I usually reglue with epoxy, as i think it is less brittle than CA, but either is probably fine.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:07 AM
donddsms

Hi Gang,
Received big brown box this week! First on the agenda was to beef up the landing gear area. I was pleasantly surprized to see lots of epoxy down there, and hardwood triangle stock fore and aft. I considered adding more epoxy and fiberglass, but in the interest of this thread I am going to proceed with the build as supplied. If(WHEN) it becomes necessary to repair this area, I know there are plenty of ideas on this thread I can use. The firewall area also looks pretty sturdy, with plenty of epoxy and hardwood triangle stock reinforcements. Nice to see that the manufacturers pay attention to these posts.
I am impressed how well the cowl fits the fuse. This is the best fit I've ever seen on an arf. It appears I will have to attach the cowl first, trim it for the engine, then figure out how to mount the engine on the rails so the spinner is in the proper position with the cowl.
I have a little ironing to do as well, but all in all it looks fabulous.
Heading to the flying field this morning, winds are supposed to pick up p.m. So I might get some quality time with the kit later today.
Can a plane be properly assembled while watching the Final Four? Might be a good time for epoxy to set.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:55 AM
wjcalhoun

donddsms
Welcome to the thread

I got out yesterday to fly the R70 in perfect weather: 70, 5mph S wind, pure blue sky (I love Texas).

Touched 118 by Eagle Tree GPS on my 12 pictch prop; will install the 13 pitch soon, retune the needles, and recheck my speeds.

I flew some pop-tops with her. I was not sure how well the R70 would fly them compared to my Extras, but they were pretty credible - rough but credible. Pulled negative 5.8g in a pop-top. My CG is aft of recommended, but still very stable. Flat spins, knife-edge spins, snap rolls are all well within her flight envelope.

I'm working on the knife-edge spin->inverted flat spin transition. The extras do that pretty well, but when i cross the ailerons to flatten the spin, the R70 seems to want to fly out of it, rather than settling into inverted flat spin. Probably the pilot.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:06 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

donddsms - congrats on your new Revolver! For the cowl I trim after the engine is already bolted in, to make sure I'm getting it right. You can determine the proper spinner backplate location by loosely pre-fitting the cowl and measuring that distance from the firewall. Then you can fit your engine placement to match that, plus 1/8" (or whatever gap you're comfortable with). Speaking of, I've recently seen a newly built Rev 70 \DLE 20 with a cowl\ backplate gap of over 1/2 inch - to each his own. But I prefer mine close (which sometimes is a little bit of luck...) My latest Rev 59 came out perfect - spinner dead center and gap of less than 1/8th.

On my HP P51 Mustang build there was a 3/8th gap after I moved the engine. I ended up adding 1/4" of balsa to the from end of the cowl - the ring around the hole - to build it out to meet the backplate. Then covered with trim - worked great. Unfortunately that plane met an untimely - though spectacular - demise. But it looked great going down...
Old 04-06-2013, 04:12 AM
microdon2

wjc - where's the video??? Can't wait to see your Rev 70 in action. And pls tell your camera-person to zoom in once in a while - I recently saw the best RC plane vid ever - the cameraman was very smooth and zoomed-in the entire time - also seemed to anticipate the plane movement - maybe some image stabilization involved, but still looked clear (have they perfected that technology already?) Regardless, some really excellent footage.

I'm hoping more RC plane videographers follow this example.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:28 PM
donddsms

Re: DLE 20 Revolver install
Thanks Don!
Got the engine mounted, had to do a lot of trimming of the nylon engine mounts.
Ended up with about 1/8 inch gap between back plate of spinner and cowl. The high end needle adjustment screw got in the way of the engine mount. Not as close as I would like, but acceptable for now. Maybe down the road I'll get another engine mount and tinker more. Or maybe build up some fiberglass to the cowl near the spinner and make it look sweet.
I also opened up the fuse bottom and installed an access hatch just behind the gear. I'm placing the choke and throttle servos there. These mods took some time, as far as thinking and executing, but things should go pretty fast from here on.

I've tried to post photos of modifications I made to install the DLE 20. For two days I'm getting Error 500, server busy. So, I will try again some other time.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:34 PM
microdon2

donddsms - The only way I've been able to post pics here is by doing a "reply" message, then I could attach. Not sure if that will solve your issue.

btw - Flew my Rev 701 (DLE 20) this morning - flew fantastic! Engine and plane - could not be happier. WHAT power this engine has! I pretty much got the regular flat-spin down, but am having trouble with the inverted. Anyone know the approach? WJC?

btw - I also got the flatspin down with my Rev 59 \ OS 91 4s. That was a bit unexpected, but I'm very happy with that, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.