Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 PM
grandgt00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Im the new owner of the Volcano EPX Pro, I seem to have an issue with the tuck it will work fine for a few minutes but then when you give full throttle it will surge for a little bit then it will take off at full speen then bog back down. I have read on here some thing close to this and I have replaced the battery but it still seems to have the same issue. I know its not the batteries because i will use that same battery on my traxxas and it runs just fine. any suggestions on what could be the issue??????? any help would be awesome. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Heli biggie

Are you using a lipo?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:43 AM
bpohl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lipo batteries will get you really go performance.  I have a Volcano S30 that originally had a SH.18 on it. changed it to a OS.21. And not finally converted to a Brushless truck with a 1/8 size motor. Adn so far it is faster then any setup on it so far!!  Runs nicer as electric.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Heli biggie

Happy new year all.
My question is
How long should bushing last before they need to be changed, i use them in the rear and they seem to go fast, is there something wrong or is that normal to wear faster than bearings?
And can i use bearings in the aluminum upgrades?

Old 01-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Kristoffer_E

Do you have the volcano sv? As far as I know, the s30 has no bushings. Well, except the brass one on the flywheel.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Heli biggie

I have the epx pro. I thought it said to use bushing with the al upgraded arms or whatever they are called.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Kristoffer_E

Hmm. I'm not entirely sure what "it" is, lol. What instructions are you reading?

The stub axle, the little metal thing the wheel bolts onto, rides on 2 bearings in the [link=http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Aluminum-Rear-Hub-carrier-Upgrade-for-Redcat-Volcano-Nitro-Part-02187-/00/s/MzY4WDQ5MA==/$(KGrHqR,!poE7Bcvhiq7BPDIHP,yi!~~60_35.JPG]hub carrier[/link]. Are these bearings what you are going to replace with bushings?

Also, there is a small plastic bushing where the ball joint connects to the hub carrier. But I'm not sure how you'd replace that with a bearing anyway. Where on the truck would these bushings go?
Old 01-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Heli biggie

Yes the hub carrier, with the 2 bearings, when it was stock it had 2 bearings like you are talking about, but when i upgraded to aluminium hub carriers i thought i was told to use bushings, should i still be using bearing? Thanks for your help!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Kristoffer_E

Yeah, I'd use bearings over bushings wherever possible. If your bearings fit in the aluminium hub carrier, which I assume they would, I'd definitely use them.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:42 PM
michsmit

I just got a new S30 volcano nitro rc truck and it will not stay running. when I plug the exhaust and try priming, nothing happens but yet when i remove the fuel line from the exhaust and blow thru the fuel llne the fuel starts to move towards the carb. Would this be due to an air leak some where? Also can someone pleae provide me with the factory settings or settings for the HSN and LSN, so I can atleast get the truck running. I am going to check for air leaks, Thanks...
Old 01-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Kristoffer_E

I set the LSN 2.5-3 turns out, and the HSN 3.5-4 turns out for a baseline. That seems like a pretty rich setting, but I can at least start the truck. The factory settings are on rcu somewhere, if you search.

EDIT: here you go.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_99...tm.htm#9999326
Old 01-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Heli biggie

I think i will replace asap then , but i will use up bushings first. Thanks
Old 01-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Kristoffer_E

Yeah, no problem. Let me know how it works out for ya.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 PM
dakotanut

I'm looking for a truck body for my Volcano SV. Can anyone help me with this?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Ison8406

Irecently bought a S30 Volcano, had it for about two weeks made the mistake of allowing my son to drive it...had about 100yrds before coner of the build appeared. messed up the left side pretty good. Ihave found most of the parts that I need minus the aluminum gear box for the front, I did want mess around a bit more so went down and bought the cheap plastic while waiting on the alumium stuff but got home and the Gear box houing he gave me is wrong yet Redcat says it works what else do Ineed to make part #02051(upgraded diff housing) work because its alot different than the p# 06045. Or where can Ifind part # 122275, old part # 122075, this is the aluminum part number. These numbers came from the pamplet in the box with my nitro.

Any help would be greatly apprieciated.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Ison8406

To the best of my knowledge just about any 1/10th scale will work. If you search for Recat particular brand you dont get many choices. But there is a few out there, check www.prolineracing.com I got 70s ford truck body for mine there, and some BA looking wheelse and Tires. Hope this helps some.

http://prolineracing.com/1-10-truck-bodies
Old 04-06-2013, 09:39 AM
stsmoker

Hey, I am brand new to the RC world.  Only RC car I have ever had before now was a $20 walmart wired car.  I currently have a Volcano EPX Pro with a 7.2V 40C LiPo, not a bad little rig.  The only issue I am having, which I am sure is perfectly normal, is that I am constantly breaking the hub carriers (front and rear).  I am in the process of looking/buying aluminum parts. I plan on replacing everything that I can with aluminum.  So far I have:

-Control Arms (front/rear)
-Servo link
-Front/rear linkages (tie rods?)
-Front C carrier
-12mm wheel hex
-Front/rear hub carrier

So my question is, with all of the upgrades, do I need to buy anything additional like bushings, new/different screws, etc... Any help/advice would be AWESOME.  Also, are there any custom parts (i.e. roll cages, bigger bumpers, wheel spacers...)?.  Again, I am brand new to all of this but I am loving it more and more (at least when it's in operational condition).  Thanks in advance for any help!

-Tyler
Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 PM
lilruss0810

ok. So I have been in the nitro world for a few months now and I own two vehicles. The first is my redcat volcano. It ran great for a couple of months. Now I drive my other a lil more and I tried to get the redcat back out yesterday. It will prime and run great. Idling good. Turn my trim down and start driving. Drives good. Then when I go full out speed runs. It will run like crazy. Nice blue stream of smoke and everything. Hit the breaks to sling it around and (if) it cuts off. It will not crank again until it has sat there for a few min and cooled off. Then it repeats. I have gotten pretty good (not that great) at setting needles on my jato, and I can get it to run great (sometimes) lol. But anyway, does anyone have an explanation for this. Im stumped. I even set my buddies redcat up for him and never a bit of trouble at all. Ive learned to do all kinda stuff. He brings his to me when he needs something fixed. Ive read quite a bit on these and it seems my sleeve and piston arent seating when they get hot. But ive always ran it rich. Never lean. When it idles, it even has spots of nitro that it spit out. Please help because I'm getting very irritated and I have messed with this truck for several hrs. Oh idle 1/8th open, ln 2.5 turns out from bottom, hn is 2.75 turns out.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Ison8406

Had the same with my Volcano, Ialways seem to be to rich and if Idisconnect the line from top of fuel tank and blow through it, pushing nitro thru the exhuast which has decrease wait time. now my truck has the SH.18, my Earthquake on the other is set spot on and dead perfect as far as tuning, this is the SH .21, Icould run a entire tank through it, soon as it stopped couldnt get it to fire right back up. after closer inspections they flood out pretty easy, even if Iran it out of gas still had nitro in cyclinder. so removed glow plug and found this out. What Iwas told is run hot glow plugs, Iwas running mediums from start till this issue stopped. worked on my SH.21 no issues always lights right back up....now with the SH.18 I had to fiddle with the servo for the throttle but Ibought the slide carb for it. http://www.rufaster.com/sh18slidecar...-te1809b2.aspx, with settings at 3.5 complete turns out LN, High 4.25 turns out, with HOTand HOT only Glow plugs. Never had the issue again with the volcano. Could be because I could never set the twist carbs....Hopefully helps ya some.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:49 PM
lilruss0810

The listing shown wont show up. But I found one. Is this it.http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REDCAT-R...item417101dcf0
Old 04-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Ison8406

Yes thats the one...if you dont use it to often at the moment, I am currently setting up my store, and Ijust got the paper work back in as a Authorized Redcat dealer. So I'll se what I can do pricing wise for you. Because even before as a normal joe, Igot that carb for $23 bucks new in packaging....30 seems a bit high. I just have to have time to set up my account, and get everything rolling.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:50 PM
lilruss0810

Thats awesome bro. Thanks. Do I gotta change anything as far as how the servo actuator pulls it. I mean the barrel style rolls and this one slides in and out to open. Like my jato and it pulls it straight on. My volcano pulls from the rear rolling it to open it. Thanks again. 

In reply to ison8406
Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Ison8406

yeah you will need the linkage, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Redcat-BS903...:B:SHOP:US:101

as Imentioned im moving so ill post some pics here soon for ya.

Also for the record, if you ever think your gonna upgrade that SH.18 in the volcano DONT Even with all metal everything drivetrain wise, the .21 wreaked it hard. stripped diffs all day everyday... looked badass for 10-20ft rooster tails off all four wheels, the nothing lol
Old 05-11-2013, 08:52 PM
SpeedRCclub

Hi I know it says Volcano but I couldnt find a forum for the Earthqueke 3.5. I just bought a used one... it had a problem in the steering but I solved it... the problem now is the I can start the motor but this increase the speed and stops, I was adjusting the high speed iddle and it came better, enough to run some meters but then stopped again... what can be the problem and how can I solve it????
Old 05-12-2013, 05:48 AM
Ison8406

Any leaks at all, I asked this because im seeing this happen to more and more guys, specially letting them sit over the winter months. Check the Orings on both high and low needles, back them out and inspect them if they look famished then more than likely your prob, also look just a couple post of mine up theres exact settings where they need to be and had no issues out of the. giving they had fuel and air filter wasnt clogged. thats for both SH.18 and SH.21 motors.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.