Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Atomik Barbwire

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Atomik Barbwire

Old 03-13-2013, 10:43 AM
M0T0M0T0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atomik Barbwire

New to boats I just got the Atomik BarbWire 17
I was wondering what everything I should do to break it in properly, so far the only real thing I know to do is to lube up the drive shaft with marine lube.
Please any info on how to properly break in my new boat will be apreaciated thanks!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:01 PM
M2them

Default RE: Atomik Barbwire

I have the Joysway Supermono X and as far as I can tell it is the same boat as the Barbwire.  Right down to the radio.  And it is fun!  A couple of tips: use some thread lock on the grub screws that hold the flex shaft to the motor.  And recheck them periodically to ensure your drive shaft doesn't come off.  I would keep your run time around 5 minutes.  Even with the water cooling,  it gets hot inside the hull.  I burned up the stock 20 amp ESC within the first couple days.  I replaced it with the Hobbywing-Seaking 35amp ESC.  All good aside from that.  I have a 1600mah 3S Hyperion battery that is my preferred battery to run.  The boat handles even better with the smaller/lighter battery.  And , as you mentioned, lubing the drive shaft is important.  Velcro one straps hold the batttery down well.  
   I bought another SupermonoX off ebay recently that had a burned up stock ESC as well.  Atomik has a 30 day warranty on electronics, but I would just order a back-up Seaking ESC to have on hand.  You can get the for around $30.  Valuehobby.com.    Have Fun! 
Old 03-19-2013, 04:00 PM
M0T0M0T0

wow that is the exact same boat, heh funny.
Well my first time out a little while after I posted asking about it here, I ran it four about 5 minutes, and some thing happend, I guess I burnt out the esc , so I got ahold of Atomik/ Venom and they sent me a brand new boat, just got it yesterday,
lubed the drive shaft and ready to go after some adjustments,

M2them did you have to adjust the steering servo? I moved the steering rod up to spots on the servo arm works much better,
Thanks for the info I will locktite those tonight,

Bout to take it out hope all goes well.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:07 AM
M0T0M0T0

everything went well, today had to play in the rain but wasnt about to stop me from having fun, so I get home to charge my batteries and seems that the balance charger after one batterie may be already bad, I did a little bit of research and turns out the venom balance charger is worthless, Guess ill have them send me a new one but I already know that I need a nicer lipo batterie charger any suggestions would be apreaciated ,I'd like to find one about 50$ but could go up to $80
Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 AM
M2them

Sorry to hear about the ESC.  I think it's just undersized for a 3S LiPo.  Awesome that you got a whole new boat.  I plan on getting some more back up ESCs for when I take the boats with me on vacation.  
    I have a Hyperion EOS0606i AC/DC charger.  It works well.  It balance charges, discharges, and has a store mode that is handy.  You may know this, but you want to store your LiPo batteries around 60%.  I then try to cycle them about once a month if I haven't used them.  Now that I have more RC toys I am looking at getting a multi-charger that can do 2 or even 4 batteries at once.  I found Lipos confusing at first and did a lot of reading to figure out what all the numbers mean.  I suggest you do the same if you aren't sure.  Things to look for in a charger are the wattage rating.  The high the wattage, the better suited it is to handle bigger batteries.  Does it come with a built in power supply ,AC ? A lot of them are DC only and require an additional power supply.  Most AC/DC chargers are lower wattage but fine if you are charging smaller batteries.  By "Smaller" I mean lower Mah ratings and/or cells. So for the boat batteries, a 50w charger is fine.  If you get into bigger boats or trucks/cars then you may want a more powerful charger.  I saw the Hyperion EOS0606i up for auction on eBay today.  They usually go for $60-$75 used.  
Old 04-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Brrapp

I have a SuperMonoX too, and so far no problems. I'm running a turnigy 2200mAh and charging it with an Imax BCA6 dual power I bought on ebay for about $30, only 5W but both do the job well
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Latest-IM...item20d0fbc2b5

No problems with heat here, everything was under 40 DegC after a long run but I didnt realise I had a broken blade on the prop, so I'll check again when my bigger props arive.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:27 AM
evox53187

Can a 4000kv motor be to big for this kinda boat?
Old 04-08-2013, 04:41 PM
M2them

4000kv might make it uncontrollable. ? You could test it with a higher C rated 2S LiPo to start. Is there a 4000kv that will fit? I have only looked for an equal kv replacement. I may experiment since I have two boats, but I think I will just get a larger boat.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:41 PM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

Take care.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:53 AM
M0T0M0T0

Can some one recomend a prop maybe like one size bigger or two sizes bigger, I'm not sure how to measure props or what would be one size bigger so if some one can point me in right way of props and where I could get one Thanks !
Old 04-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Brrapp

My props arrived today. will let you know how a x432 and x435 go.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:37 AM
M0T0M0T0

How did your new props work out for ya?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:25 AM
Brrapp

With the x432 the motor was at 68deg after 1 min WOT and the x435 was at 82deg.

Both these props seemed to labour the motor with less performance than the stock one.

I put the spare on and now I have rolling from side to side when running on smooth (glass) water, it gets so bad the boat has flipped over, a blip of the throttle and it rights itself but now I cant do laps of the pond flat out.

Any ideas on what causes this?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:57 PM
5lagd

I love my Barbwire. It's a water rocket. Quick video. Stock prop an a 2100 20 c 3s venom.  http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hfppeNmDXV4

Old 05-01-2013, 02:21 PM

Take care.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:10 PM
5lagd

Search YouTube for the title    Atomik Barbwire R/C Fast Electric Boat
Old 05-02-2013, 05:11 AM
M2them

I never get tired of watching how fast these boats are. Thanks for the video.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:45 AM
M2them

With regards to the rocking, I have found that using a smaller 3S battery helps with the stability. I think my boat handles best with my CX G3 Hyperion 1600mah 3S 25C LiPo. It is quite a bit smaller than the 2200 Mah that I have. And make sure your battery is firmly strapped down. The Velcro on the battery is ok but I use a Velcro One strap through the brackets in the hull to keep the battery from shifting. I thought about using a counterweight to balance out the boat when using a bigger battery, but I don't know how the added weight will affect the performance.
It might be something else. ? I am just glad that the boat can right itself !

Old 05-02-2013, 06:43 AM

Take care.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:35 AM

Take care.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:45 PM
5lagd

It is Atomik with an "k".
Old 05-07-2013, 11:00 AM
jetskier13

Hi, I'm new to this site..I just burned up my 3rd ESC today during my lunch break. first time was my fault and lazyness, connect the battery backward due to the battery universal plug, second time was about 2 weeks ago when my son was running it full tilt on glass condition, 3rde batteries, and all of a sudden it just die. I have to say.. We do beat on the boat cause it so fun and pretty much bulletproof maybe that's why I keep burning up the ESC, but their customer service is excellent, was replaced under warrenty, one is on the way as we speak. I don't think they can handle running 3 batteries back to back non stop and going full throttle on glass condition. in choppy condition is when they are most fun as you feathering the throttle more then just going all out they hop over wakes and roll like torpedo and also seems to handle better on right turns. Has anyone figure out how to make it not sub on right sharp turn? I've tried every possibility on the turn fin and don't seem to have any good results except slow down and make wide turns and that is starting to get old. I'm also looking at getting a Seaking 35A ESC when the warrenty runs out, or when they feel they are losing money for keep replacing my ESCs. are they defult value plug and play when use on the Barbwire or do they need to be reprogram?

Old 05-07-2013, 01:56 PM

Take care.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:54 PM
jetskier13

Mike, what is your setup to prevent subbing? where do you relocate your components in this small hull and your adjustment for the turn fins and tabs? just wondering cause there is not a lot you can do for CG except mover the battery couple of 3mm front, back,side to side. where as my Revolt, I can move the battery front to back about 3" and SV27 I've relocate my 4S battery to the front of my motor. your correct about feathering throttle will actually be harder on the motor and ESC due to shock load instead of steady load. maybe it's just a fluke that my ESC craps out during long full throttle.
Thanks,
ORIGINAL: Mikeup

Lot to learn. Feathering will be real hard on motor-esc. Ok, rest boat between runs. Boat subs- setup - cg- lipo location. 35 esc watercooled for sure.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:45 PM

Take care..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.