Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Joysway Super Mono X

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Joysway Super Mono X

Old 08-18-2012, 04:58 AM
MassiveOverkill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Joysway Super Mono X

ORIGINAL: Wavekatcher

I finally got my SMX to a lake and was able to get 3 more fantastic runs. This is a great little boat. Flipped her 2 times on her hatch, no problem, just a blip of throttle, she self rights, and I was off again. Still running all original stock. 1800mah batteries 3S.

I only run for 4 minutes (WOT) to keep down the heat. Batteries come in around 3.82 per cell. The motor comes in hot, but not overly hot. Love this lil bugger. I oil the motor bearings at the end of the day.

Now to build my new shaft

Hey MassiveO, Did you get your Icon A5 yet?
Hey Wave, glad you're having a blast with your SMX without any issues. The motor they used can barely cope with the stock weight of this boat. The extra 100 grams my ESC and battery addreally push it over the edge. I'm currently retrofitting a new motor mount so a standard motor can be installed, but it's going to take me awhile to remove the existing mountng structure. I've also started on a new straight shaft using the original diameters of the stock shaft.

I plan on getting the Offshore Warrior Mk2 or Bullet. Joysway is ramping up for major distribution in the US and I'm anxiously waiting.

I got my Icon A5, but unfortunately it's victim to poor Chineese quality. I've already had to do some fixes\repairs out of the box. I tried to fly her off the water, but my inexperience with fixed wing is too much, so I'll try some land takeoffs first to get the hang of it, get her trimmed and determine if I have to add dual rates to my TX.

Here are some pics:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=144
Old 08-26-2012, 07:49 PM
MassiveOverkill

Found the replacment motor, worthless if you don't speak Chineese:

item.taobao.com/item.htm

More spares:

http://joysway.taobao.com/search.htm...rType=_hotsell

Good thing is Joysway is preparing to ramp up in the US.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:11 AM
M2them

I went with a Seaking 35 amp ESC as my replacement.  It is actually a tad smaller than the stock 20 AMP and weighs about the same.  I had a chance to run it the other day.  All good.  I kept the run times to 5 minutes.  And due to swimmers and vegetation it was not WOT the whole time. I have a 1600Mah Hyperion, 1800Mah (came with from KC Hobbie) and a 2200 Mah Dynam.  I like the 1600 the best.  It is the lightest and smallest but it fits nicely and the boat handles best with that battery in it.  I love that this boat rights itself.  And the seal on the cowl works.  I don't tape the cowl.  I did change the machine screw that the knurl nut threads on to.  I lost the original  nut and had no luck finding a M3 .50 metric nut, locally that is.  So I changed it to a 6/32 x 3/4" screw and a  6-32 knurl nut , which are in stock at Lowe's.  So I have 3 spare nuts now.  Any suggestions on a propeller upgrade?

I look forward to getting another Joysway.  I hope get one that runs on the same battery, but if I have to buy some 7.4 2S lipos then so be it.  
Old 09-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Melololo

Hey Mass, I haven't finished all your posts yet, but if you're looking for some replacement for 8209 or any other RC stuffs, I can help you.
BTW I am a Chinese.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:39 AM
MassiveOverkill

Thanks Melololo, I forgot to update this forum:

I got Aaron to start stocking spares:

Stock the spare motor:

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Re...0487522012019E

Stock 20A ESC:

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Jo...0487522012019E

I recommend getting an aftermarket 60A ESC (nothing bigger as the weight will hurt you), although if you're going to go back with a Joysway ESC, get the 30A:

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Jo...0487522012019E

Did you find another source?

Old 09-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Melololo

All right, telling you a secret, Im Aron's friend, haha, the world is so small, isn't it?
well, regard to the sources, I couldn't find any better sources in China.
If you want to buy something in banggood, I can help you to get the lowest price.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:29 PM
MassiveOverkill

Sweet, OK, here's a wish list:

Replacement hull for the Super Mono X
Offshore Warrior Hull without radio (Aaron needs to stock this)
Icon A5 by NFD and spares

Let's see what you can do
Old 09-07-2012, 01:55 AM
Melololo

ok, i'll try,
btw if you have more wishlist, do not hesi to tell me, im waiting for it, lol
Old 09-07-2012, 02:16 AM
MassiveOverkill

ORIGINAL: Melololo

ok, i'll try,
btw if you have more wishlist, do not hesi to tell me, im waiting for it, lol

This is why Ipimp you guys out. Your motto should be "We'll stock any item you need"
Old 09-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Melololo

Hey Mass, bro.
Im very sorry the hull for Super Mono X & Offshore Warrior Hull i was not able to find it. I've check in with the suppliers. They only provide the FRP hull not the ABS ones. And I tried to find other suppliers in the web, something maybe you guys have some interest, er...upload pics it's complicated. Do you have other chat tools? Maybe it's more convenient for us.
On the icon A5, our website banggood.com is already hit the shelf, you may find in the category Airplane
Hope it make a little hep for you. More wishlists i am waiting haha.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:22 AM
MassiveOverkill

Hey Mass, bro.
Im very sorry the hull for Super Mono X & Offshore Warrior Hull i was not able to find it. I've check in with the suppliers. They only provide the FRP hull not the ABS ones. And I tried to find other suppliers in the web, something maybe you guys have some interest, er...upload pics it's complicated. Do you have other chat tools? Maybe it's more convenient for us.
On the icon A5, our website banggood.com is already hit the shelf, you may find in the category Airplane
Hope it make a little hep for you. More wishlists i am waiting haha.

I have a chat client for Gmail, MSN, Yahoo, Facebook, or other chat. You all carry the Guan Li Icon A5, which is poorer quality than the NFD Icon A5.

Here are the NFD links for the 1300 and 1800mm A5s:

http://nfdhobby.com/en/c_2.asp?id=1773

http://nfdhobby.com/en/c_2.asp?id=1822

Some other Joysway items I don't see are the X Blaze. There are alot of professional racers that want the Super Version of this boat:

Regular Version:

http://www.joysway-hobby.com/Product_show.asp?proid=475

Super Version:

http://www.joysway-hobby.com/Product_show.asp?proid=478

and the Bullet:

http://www.joysway-hobby.com/Product_show.asp?proid=506

The Offshore Warrior you have listed has pictures of the older MK1 model. This is the new MK2 model, is that what you're carrying or the older one?:

http://www.joysway-hobby.com/Product_show.asp?proid=472

You can tell by looking at the back of the hull. The MK1's canopy extends to the end of the rear deck, while the MK2's canopy doesn't go all the way back. If you are carrying the MK2, you need to update your website picture.

While I think the Joysway MagicVee is a superior boat to the Double Horse 7009 because it has a 2.4 Ghz transmitter, it looks like the 7009 still sells pretty well on your website. Double Horse has a newer 7010 model which you may want to start carrying. Looks like they swapped the motor and battery positions:

http://www.dhgate.com/double-horse-h...7c3573a7a.html

Thanks.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Melololo

OK Mass, you can PM your gmail for me and I would send you some pics about the hull inculding joysway and some other.
Another thing I want to know is the difference between NFD icon A5 and that in our website. Some details help me alot lol.
The list you offered I would consider and soon will be shelvied haha...

Old 09-11-2012, 07:36 PM
MassiveOverkill

OK Mass, you can PM your gmail for me and I would send you some pics about the hull inculding joysway and some other.
Another thing I want to know is the difference between NFD icon A5 and that in our website. Some details help me alot lol.
The list you offered I would consider and soon will be shelvied haha...

PMsent Mel (hope you don't mind, it's also my brother's name)

Guanli's quality is poorer than NFD's (even though my NFDhad some quality issues when I received it) and requires wing sponsoons, which the NFDdoesn't. I guess it wouldn't hurt to carry both.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:41 PM
monnette

Hey Massive, How was the super mono X going? BTW would like to know if the trim tabs on super mono X really helps.
Just ordered trim tabs of the SMS to be installed on my Offshore Warrior but I am hesitant when I see the size of it.
It's quite small and wondering if it really worth installing.

Cheers,
Monnette
Old 11-21-2012, 02:55 AM
MassiveOverkill

Hey Monnette,

SMX is under anrework. I've ripped out the stock mounting and a going to glass in the Offshore Warrior's motor mount. The trim tabs work pretty good and Bill Oxidean from OSE is using the SMX tabs on the Warrior so you may want to head over there and ask him how it's working out for him. I haven't been playing with my boats lately as I've started a new venture: http://www.massiverc.com/

ORIGINAL: monnette

Hey Massive, How was the super mono X going? BTW would like to know if the trim tabs on super mono X really helps.
Just ordered trim tabs of the SMS to be installed on my Offshore Warrior but I am hesitant when I see the size of it.
It's quite small and wondering if it really worth installing.

Cheers,
Monnette
Old 11-23-2012, 07:10 AM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

Gentlemen;! I've been reading and you got my energy level high about the X-Blaze Super Version mon and am wondering about the price tag. The 24" size is up my alley. I have 22" boats and some 26" models but 24" size hits the spot. The self-righting is a super +. I see no prices shown on sites and sure could use that info, thanks! I found the prices, thanks.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:43 AM
bestkites

Hi guys, i have a Joysway Super Mono x boat top speed 45 kph. The current motor is a 2212-3300Kv water cooled running on a 20A esc water cooled Unit with 11.1v 1800mAh batterys. im now looking for More speed, can anyone advise me on a good water cooled Motor and esc unit setup to go for, the New setup needs to be light wieght as the super mono x is a smaller boat.

Let me know guys if you have some advise! Cheers
Old 01-11-2013, 05:53 AM
MassiveOverkill

ORIGINAL: bestkites

Hi guys, i have a Joysway Super Mono x boat top speed 45 kph. The current motor is a 2212-3300Kv water cooled running on a 20A esc water cooled Unit with 11.1v 1800mAh batterys. im now looking for More speed, can anyone advise me on a good water cooled Motor and esc unit setup to go for, the New setup needs to be light wieght as the super mono x is a smaller boat.

Let me know guys if you have some advise! Cheers

The SMX is at it's limits. You're not going to find a faster motor that will fit the stock motor mount. You'll have to rip out all the plastic mounting and glass\epoxy in a normal mount. I purchased the OffshoreWarriors's motor mount and planned on glassing it in, but I've been so busy with the new business, I haven't had a chance to work on it.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:12 AM

Gentlemen of afar and the closer people. !
Old 04-01-2013, 05:57 AM
Brrapp

Man, what a horror story.

My wife gave me one of these (off ebay) for Christmas, it's my first RC boat and yes, it's damn fast.
I have managed to flip it, and in stock trim it rights quickly UNLESS you don't let off the throttle, then it fully submerges .
I didn't know about taping the canopy, so I got some water inside.
After running till the battery cut out, I checked the temps and the motor, battery, and esc were all about 40Deg C
So far (4 full runs) I have only broken a blade on the prop when I ran up the rocks avoiding a turtle, no other problems.
The stock prop is P1.4X30mm so I am getting X431 and X531 props to try and will post results when I get them (and have time to run it.)
Old 04-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Brrapp

I put the spare prop on and lubed the bearing/shaft to avoid any issues and went out again today.
The pond was like glass so I gave it a workout, one problem I had was rocking from side to side at full speed. It got so bad the boat actually flipped over.

And there it was, upside down in the middle of the pond. Thankfully a couple of quick blips on the throttle and it torqued over and was off again.
The other thing is if i try to turn too tightly too fast the bow burries itself and it plays submarine. The pond is about a metre deep and it came up after about 5 seconds with mud on it's nose.

I gotta learn to drive.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Crystalwater

lo everyone!

came in here to give you some hop-ups for the SMX as well.
First of all for the people that might think they got a leakproof hull...wake up!
Out of the box there's a gap where the top meets the bottom part of the hull....almost all around the boat.
You can easily proof that by sucking on it trying to get kind of a vacuum - u won't...
So the first step for me was to so seal the hull (from the inside) using plastic glue with a long thin brass tube to reach
the inside of the nose.
I did that on the outside as well...just to be safe.
The screws on the back side got glue from inside as well.

Next step was to "read" the cover-seal that came with the boat.
Joysway recommends to take it out if you don't use your boat...for the material to decompress.
Unluckily the boat gets shipped from factory with a mounted seal so it needs days to get it's original shape back again.
But it perfectly gives you the chance to see if the top cover fits with the hull on every inch.

My cover didn't fit very well..the edging of the cover left an open impression in the seal.
I adjusted an aluminium brace using some velcro tape.
Now I can use a central screw to tear down the cap.

I fitted a brass pipe in the outlet hose of the water cooling...without the silikon hose can easily flex away on full speed when it gets contact to the water surface and water will leak in.
To reduce the leakage on the prop shaft I made a small tube out of PTFE.
Beneath the fact that this last step made the boat 99,9% waterproof it also took out all the vibrations of the flex shaft.
First I tried friction bearings made from brass tubes like shown in the start of this thread.
But this solution came up with to much heat for flex shaft and its tube and I got worried about the whole thing melting through the hull...

Last thing to say is that I HIGHLY recommend to seperate and refit the flexible part of the prop shaft.
I don't have a clue what glue Joysway is using...but I almost lost shaft end, prop and dog drive...and I had to get rid of my clothes to get the boat back....
Glued it with Loctite 648 now....hope this will stay forever!
Old 06-22-2013, 03:40 PM
jworm49

This boat looks exactly like the Atomik Barbwire I just got. Very fun boat.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:21 AM

Old 07-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Crystalwater

Hi there!

Did anyone find out what timing the "Frankenbrushless" gets from the stock ESC?

So far I can say that my 35A SeaKing (stock @ 15° ) needs to be set to at least 18,75°....just to get almost the same maximum speed that the stock ESC delivered.

I wonder if I could try more without heating up the motor too much...

...btw it has a sticker on it saying "2950KV"....are there different versions of the Frankenbrushless and you have to be lucky to get a fast one?

Feels a bit like a lottery.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.