Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Standing position for take off

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Standing position for take off

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 10:04 PM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Standing position for take off

I have to agree with Hossfly. I am also going to add that there is often many ways to do things correctly depending on the situation. I believe common sense is the most important part of making rc flying both safe and fun! This forum has the overtone of do it my way from certain participants, and it is dissappointing.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I am maidneing a new airplane that I have say $3000 or $4000 invensted in... I'll make sure my fellow club members are okay with me maidening the aircraft and I'll stand anywhere I damn please for the first flight!
I am a competent veteran pilot, can fly from any pilot station, on any day, in any wind, with any ship including helis.

But if I choose to stand behind one for WHATEVER reason, the very last thing anyone needs to hear is some rookie know-it-all who recently graduated to .60 size low wingers that cost less than my spinner & prop start giving their 2 cents about ANYTHING.

We are supposed to support our fellow pilots and members and help them. We are supposed to enjoy other peoples airplanes and encourage them and be supportive. Seems like many people here with an elitist attitude and that whole I know everything persona going on would make for some really great (read - sarcasm) fellow member to be around.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:37 AM
iflircaircraft

The club I belong to does allow the practice of ' taking off a new plane while standing behind the plane'. The only requirement is that a second person is standing alongside the pilot to help him walk back to the flight line after take off.
I prefer to stand at one of the flight stations on all my flights especially a maiden flight.
Twice in my 30 plus years of flying R/C I have witnessed a plane taking off with a malfunctioning elevator where it was stuck in the up position and did a quick loop on take off. Thankfully no body was standing behind the plane(s).
There are too many variables on 'what can go wrong' to put yourself in harms way. Just my opinion.

Tom
Old 04-07-2013, 04:38 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I stand behind my planes and jets on EVERY flight. It also makes for a awesome viewpoint!

And, like all those people that park thier cars at the ends of airport runways to watch planes take off and land at airports, I do the same at my local field. It's just friggin' AWESOME to stand at the end of the runway and watch my plane make its final approach, fly over my head, and land on the runway. It's the best vantage point ever!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:00 AM
Airplanes400

ORIGINAL: Giant_Scale_Gasser

If I am maidneing a new airplane that I have say $3000 or $4000 invensted in... I'll make sure my fellow club members are okay with me maidening the aircraft and I'll stand anywhere I damn please for the first flight!
I am a competent veteran pilot, can fly from any pilot station, on any day, in any wind, with any ship including helis.

But if I choose to stand behind one for WHATEVER reason, the very last thing anyone needs to hear is some rookie know-it-all who recently graduated to .60 size low wingers that cost less than my spinner & prop start giving their 2 cents about ANYTHING.

We are supposed to support our fellow pilots and members and help them. We are supposed to enjoy other peoples airplanes and encourage them and be supportive. Seems like many people here with an elitist attitude and that whole I know everything persona going on would make for some really great (read - sarcasm) fellow member to be around.
Well said, and so true!

No asenine rule should stop someone with a $1,000.00 - $15,000.00 plane or jet that they spent years building, from having the comfort level of standing behind their expensive toy that would allow them more comfort, control or safety to get the plane in the air. It's enough stress to maiden such an expensive toy as is. Don't add more stress by not allowing someone an extra comfort level if they so choose.

Plus, be courteous enough to let the guy have the sky to himself for the maiden!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:29 AM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

It seems like the main argument for standing on the runway for a maiden flight takeoff is to give the pilot a better chance to cope with unexpected stuff that may happen once in the air. Stuff that might just require an immediate return to the runway in some cases. Makes me wonder how well you can scramble to safety in reverse gear while handling the situation. The most amazing partof this argument is that the only part of the entire flight that this can possibly help with is the takeoff roll. If you can't keep the model reasonablystraighton takeoffwhile standing in the pilots box, then it basically comes down to this:

A) There's something wrong with setup.Abort the takeoff, investigate the cause and correctit before attempting another takeoff.Take notes of what was wrong to help avoid this on the next maiden flight of a new model.

B) The windconditions for a maiden flight may exceed the capabilities for the model and/or pilot. Get help from a more competent pilot,not necessarily a more experienced one.Or perhapswait for the wind conditions to change to something that you know you can safely handle

C) You don't yet have the necessary skills to safely control an RCmodel while accelerating on the ground in the proximity of peopleand obstacles. Ask for help from a more competent pilot.Make sure tohave him teach you how to manage the rudder and throttle together so that you can develop the confidence in your skills so that it will never occur to you again that you need to stand directly behind the model in order to safely control it.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:39 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: NJRCFLYER2

It seems like the main argument for standing on the runway for a maiden flight takeoff is to give the pilot a better chance to cope with unexpected stuff that may happen once in the air. Stuff that might just require an immediate return to the runway in some cases. Makes me wonder how well you can scramble to safety in reverse gear while handling the situation. The most amazing part of this argument is that the only part of the entire flight that this can possibly help with is the takeoff roll. If you can't keep the model reasonably straight on takeoff while standing in the pilots box, then it basically comes down to this:

A) There's something wrong with setup. Abort the takeoff, investigate the cause and correct it before attempting another takeoff. Take notes of what was wrong to help avoid this on the next maiden flight of a new model.

B) The wind conditions for a maiden flight may exceed the capabilities for the model and/or pilot. Get help from a more competent pilot, not necessarily a more experienced one. Or perhaps wait for the wind conditions to change to something that you know you can safely handle

C) You don't yet have the necessary skills to safely control an RC model while accelerating on the ground in the proximity of people and obstacles. Ask for help from a more competent pilot. Make sure to have him teach you how to manage the rudder and throttle together so that you can develop the confidence in your skills so that it will never occur to you again that you need to stand directly behind the model in order to safely control it.

+1

You put it much more eloquently than I could!

Here is a quote from Giant_Scale_Gasser from earlier in the thread:

It is this kind of elitist attitude that alarms me! Just because one has invested more time and $$ in their plane, they think they are more experienced, or possess greater skills? Shouldn't the veteran, skilled pilot with 3 or 4 thousand wrapped up in their plane have the skills to take it off from the approved pilot stations?

The even more alarming part is where Giant_Scale_Gasser goes on to say, and I quote,
Sounds like the pot is calling the kettle black! LOL!

Regards,

Astro
Old 04-07-2013, 07:36 AM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

I see nothing wrong with this if it is a test flight and everyone else is aware of it. There should not be other planes in the air or about to take off.

I have done this only a few times on the maiden flights of my 1/4 scale WW1 models which, due to their short coupling, can be quite erratic on the ground. All others on the field were aware of what was going on and gave me the air for the flight. Generally, others are interested in seeing the flight occur, so it is not a problem.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:49 AM
astrohog

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

ORIGINAL: Giant_Scale_Gasser

Well said, and so true!

No asenine rule should stop someone with a $1,000.00 - $15,000.00 plane or jet that they spent years building, from having the comfort level of standing behind their expensive toy that would allow them more comfort, control or safety to get the plane in the air. It's enough stress to maiden such an expensive toy as is. Don't add more stress by not allowing someone an extra comfort level if they so choose.

Plus, be courteous enough to let the guy have the sky to himself for the maiden!
More elitist rhetoric! As far as I am concerned everyone at the field has equal right to fly, regardless of how much it costs. Furthermore, I would assume that by the time one would have (presumably) attained the experience and skills to build/assemble/buy a multi-thousand dollar plane, they wouldn't HAVE to use a "crutch" to take off.

Too many people with $$ and no sense!

When I go to the field with an expensive aircraft, I asess the current pilots that are flying, and if I do not feel comfortable risking my plane due to the inexperienced pilots present and flying, I will either go home without flying, or wait until everyone else has flown and ask if I can fly by myself.

Regards,

Astro
Old 04-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Airplanes400

Actually, I see a lot of foamy pilots standing behind their plane for take-off quite a bit. And they always ask/advise others of the fact. All of whom always allow the guy to go on the runway.
It's called, COURTESY.

Moreover, If a guy wants to maiden his plane the same way, and request he have the sky to himself, others should allow this. At every field I flew at, this was also common practice. REGARDLESS OF THE COST OF THE PLANE !!!

Again, it's called, COURTESY.

No one should object to such requests. No one needs their "flight-fix" that much as to over-ride common courtesy to another.

I think that if anyone disagrees with this, they are r/c flight junkies!
You may need to go to R/C rehab !!

Here's a test. Below, there are two pictures.
If you look at the picture on the left BEFORE you look at the picture on the right, you are an r/c junkie in the purest form. You should sign yourself up for r/c rehab immediately.
If you even look at the picture on the left, you still need help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56252.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1870269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49715.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1870270  
Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

Actually, I see a lot of foamy pilots standing behind their plane for take-off quite a bit. And they always ask/advise others of the fact. All of whom always allow the guy to go on the runway.
It's called, COURTESY.

Moreover, If a guy wants to maiden his plane the same way, and request he have the sky to himself, others should allow this. At every field I flew at, this was also common practice. REGARDLESS OF THE COST OF THE PLANE !!!

Again, it's called, COURTESY.

No one should object to such requests. No one needs their ''flight-fix'' that much as to over-ride common courtesy to another.

I think that if anyone disagrees with this, they are r/c flight junkies!
You may need to go to R/C rehab !!

Here's a test. Below, there are two pictures.
If you look at the picture on the left BEFORE you look at the picture on the right, you are an r/c junkie in the purest form. You should sign yourself up for r/c rehab immediately.
If you even look at the picture on the left, you still need help.
Great post sir joe
Old 04-07-2013, 09:03 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

It was a helicopter... not a fixed wing plank! Personally, walking around while having eyes fixed on an aircraft is inviting a trip/stumble event to occur...It only takes a split second... I thought it looked funny to walk his helicopter like a dog. You cannot begin to tell me that it is safe for him to fly/walk under planes in flight. Maybe you think that is a safe way to fly helis, I don't ... you can disagree with me... that is your right... but you are wrong.

ORIGINAL: flycatch

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

I have been flying them for about 5 years now... never seen it before or since. You walk your dog, you walk your kids, you don't walk your heli. It is called RC (remote control) otherwise use a leash.

ORIGINAL: flycatch

You made a comment about the guy walking behind his helicopter and he took it around the field. Walk in his shoes if you dare before making such comments about learning to fly model helicopters. What the fellow was doing is part of the learning process.
Flying what fixed wing aircraft. You come across arrogant and blinded by a case of tunnel vision.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:19 AM
[email protected]

sorry but your all wrong we do have to learn how to fly
Old 04-07-2013, 09:26 AM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

sorry but your all wrong we do have to learn how to fly
All wrong about what? Learn how to fly What ? I have very little education and some times cant spell correctly but iam starting to think that iam better than i think after reading some of these posts. lmao joe
Old 04-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Luft-Gangster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This has been entertaining yet disturbing reading. It seem to be focused on how to drive people away from the hobby. At my club, we have set aside training nights for the new flyers to learn. They have priority on the field. Everyone has to start some where.Questions I would have for those who are dead set on never being allowed to stand behind your plane on take off. How did you get to your present proficiency or do you remember? Are you a 3D pilot? (Don't need wings for take off anyway. Barely need them for landings ).
Old 04-07-2013, 11:15 AM
[email protected]

my thoughts are> if you want to know something stay off this site> just go to the flying field where you will be flying and as people there will be able to tell you and show you
Old 04-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Could be rude and put it one way, but I will be polite and put it another.

Opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one ! [&o]
Old 04-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Luft-Gangster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my thoughts are> if you want to know something stay off this site> just go to the flying field where you will be flying and as people there will be able to tell you and show you
Just what I thought. Don't need your help, thanks. Been an instructor for years. Reminds me of some old timer pilots ( not referring to age but aircraft type ). old timers were pre- radio control designs, floaters if you will. Just about flew themselves. Some thought by being good with them that they were instructor qualified, but soon discovered they were out classed on even a Sig Kadet. FYI - old timers required no runway for take off. Just leaped into the air. just like 3D. Construction techniques are very similar. Only real difference is stick built vs laser cut. Must admit. 3D are much prettier than an old timer, but mostly are belly button planes. Got a couple in my hanger.If I hit a nerve. GOOD. Its time we started helping new people to the hobby. Our strength is in numbers.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:34 PM
joebahl

Well you have good time at the field then !
Old 04-07-2013, 03:38 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: Granpooba

Could be rude and put it one way, but I will be polite and put it another.

Opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one ! [&o]
Tain't rud tall. Yas gotts ta calls'm liks ya sees'em A=Wholes the word BRO.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:25 PM
outdoorhunting

oh,belly buttons, that makes me tingle !!!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 AM
akcub

Once trimmed, it’s easy to walk and fly. No one walks backwards on purpose. With or without a TX
In their hand. I fly 360 degrees around where I stand
I have walked sideways, but most of the time I walk forward
If a guy is known to be a good pilot (no one feels unsafe around him)
And/or the club has no rule about standing behind the line (or in a box)
It’s not unsafe for you or anyone around you
What’s wrong with any where u like, maiden or not
Are we talking rules or safety?
If u agreed to the rules and joined the club, get behind the line.
But I see nothing un safe in standing where you like
P.S. other than my wife, I always fly by myself, not by choice. there is no one else
Old 04-08-2013, 06:40 AM
[email protected]

at my club there are only 15 members flying>>most of the time only 6 flying>everyone gets along ok>> most of the time only one plane in the air at a time>> a 800 ft black top runway >like the man said>>> how nice it is>> to big a club to many laws>
Old 04-08-2013, 06:42 AM
[email protected]

if it was not for the old timers you new people would have a hard time ive been flying since 1940 iam 81
Old 04-08-2013, 07:02 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

really ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.