Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA 35 and twin 70

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 02:03 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DA 35 and twin 70

Nice looking birds you have picked out, best of luck to you getting to stay where you would like to stay. I have a friend that has a good job but it seems like every couple of years he ends up doing allot of traveling. I know his wife is not crazy about it but she is very happy he has a job.

I have the great wall of projects in my basement. Its bad enough I have a short attention span but when the kids get looking at dads stuff? Dads a softy, he will drop one project and start another and another.....

I have an AMR 30cc high wing Stick kit, a Wild Hare Baby Edge , Seagull Yak, Hangar 9 Twist 150, all waiting not to mention the kits part done and damage repair!

I think I want my little NV gasser mounted up first, then figure out the rest. The Stick would be very cool for the DA 35 but I have Moki G180 for that one and a Syssa 30cc for the Edge.

To many projects!

When youndo get yours going , if you don't mind, post a few pics.

Andy
Old 04-06-2013, 04:58 PM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant believe da would even try this. They wont be even remotely competitive in price. They make good engines but dle is just as good. Ive had and still have alot of dle's and always will.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:16 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Price wise it's not doubt, it's expensive, yes. 3 years warranty from DA seems to be pretty good. I'm not any company's spoke person, GOD Knows I'm missing my town TX and missing out on my flying. I had DLE20 no doubt great motor, but I had to sell it out, I needed some money and wanted to get a little cheaper motor. I also wanted to get Mintor 22 which is Italian motor, never heard a bad thing about it.

The Mintor 33 is out of stock from top dawg aviation it's $325 and heard great things about it

http://www.topdawgaviation.com/index...&product_id=50

Being loyal to a brand is a good thing and looking at the pocket and budget is a different thing. I asked many guys why companies like Great Planes, Horizon Hobby their planes are made in china, guys told me that the cost would be really expensive or would cost an arm and a leg for them so they are all getting their products ready/assembled in china. Look at Vietnam, Phoenix models, Black Horse Models, Seagull Models, are all made in vietnam. Our hobby is getting cheaper or getting expensive, I think whatever one can afford would go for it. It's really a long debate, but again brand loyalty is not a bad thing. Whatever works for anyone, that's good

I'd love to give a try to DA and Mintor

Mody
Old 04-06-2013, 06:46 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: airborne2.4

ORIGINAL: MTK

A good looker, the 35cc. Similar in looks to the Mintor.

If it has the field manners of the DLE35RA and the power of the OS33GT, it will be outstanding. It's perplexing why theseengine makers continue to use the multi screwy screw to install props. It practically eliminates APC, the best prop on the market for sizes this engine should turn.....
I think you're the perfect candidate to introduce a one bolt adaptor. Then we'll be able to use an APC.
Otherwise we'll have to go with a Vess or Xoar prop.

No weigh....It goes against my principles to ADD ANADAPTER (just making a point, not yelling) that weighs twice as much as the screwy screws and possibly 4 times as much as right sized crankshaft ready for the single nut. My point has always been that simply running the crankshaft out to 8mm with threads, is much better than the current arrangement on these small gassies. OS and SAP got it right from the start. Reducing the crankshaft to 8 mm instead of 10mm up front shaves weight. I would much rather use the weight savings on the APC prop.....but that's me
Old 04-07-2013, 03:38 AM
RiverLarry

DLE 35 RA $ 349.00 less tower SSC discount of $50.00 = $300.00 and free shipping ????

NOT BAD if the 35RA runsany thing like the DLE 20 and DLE 55 for a sport flyer its a good thing

got one comming for a OMP 30 CHIPPE should do a great job !! My $0.02 R/L
Old 04-07-2013, 03:40 AM
AJsToyz

So why do people feel the need to post DLE prices in a thread for DA? If you don't think its worth it or don't like them why bother posting?
Old 04-07-2013, 04:04 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

So why do people feel the need to post DLE prices in a thread for DA? If you don't think its worth it or don't like them why bother posting?
Exactly. If I wanted info on a DLE, I wouldn't be looking at a DA thread. And as I am interested in the DA, I don't expect to find info on the DLE here.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:04 AM
skillet92

For me it is not a price thing. While I don't really like to spend more for the same thing I will if it is worth the extra cost. DA making there engine a side exhaust rules them out. The dle 35 I a nice running motor and I am sure that the DA will be also. But side exhaust hurts them I a lot of planes.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:19 AM
AJsToyz

I actually don't mind the side exhaust. As for aplications? They have been making pits style mufflers for years that workin most planes. I think the rear exhaust is really good if your putting a plane on a pipe. I personally don't like squeezing the muffler between the fire wall and cooling fins. Seems alot of people do not get good cooling to start with and this could just ad to the problem holding the heat on the back of the engine where there is not much air flow. If the muffler design is not decent, the muffler will stand a better chance of getting loose from the side to side motion.

My opinion .
Old 04-07-2013, 06:21 AM
RJStrickJR
My Feedback: (97)

ORIGINAL: jefflangton

I cant believe da would even try this. They wont be even remotely competitive in price. They make good engines but dle is just as good. Ive had and still have alot of dle's and always will.
If you want a DLE then buy one! After you get 5 gallons through it and something goes bad I hope your a good mechanic. DLE will not repair their engines and send them back to you without a hefty price attached to it. Better yet try to find someone that is willing to work on them without a waiting list a mile long.

Desert Aircraft has the best, I said the BEST warranty sevice in the industry bar none. You may pay and extra 100.00 -200.00 more for an engine but you get a lifetime commentment from them to honor their engine and their warrenty.

I know folks that have DLE's sitting in a box because they cant get them fixed!

I have never seen a DA sit around because it could not get fixed.

When you buy a DA you have an engine for life. Buy a DLE and you have boat anchor after 2 - 3 years. I personaly have both but prefer DA over DLE any day
Old 04-07-2013, 07:39 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It seems odd to me that a b rand new engine hitting the market would have a side exhaust and straight plugs. It just limits your market. I feel they missed the boat on this one. There will be customers choosing the DLE 35 just because of the smaller footprint. It is just a better, more practical configuration. As far as pitts mufflers go, it would be nice to just use the muffler that comes with the engine. That is another $100 to add to the price. Oh, has DA started providing stand offs with their engines yet? These items add to the overall cost in the end. I will pass on this one.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: RJStrickJR

If you want a DLE then buy one! After you get 5 gallons through it and something goes bad I hope your a good mechanic. DLE will not repair their engines and send them back to you without a hefty price attached to it. Better yet try to find someone that is willing to work on them without a waiting list a mile long.

Desert Aircraft has the best, I said the BEST warranty sevice in the industry bar none. You may pay and extra 100.00 -200.00 more for an engine but you get a lifetime commentment from them to honor their engine and their warrenty.

I know folks that have DLE's sitting in a box because they cant get them fixed!

I have never seen a DA sit around because it could not get fixed.

When you buy a DA you have an engine for life. Buy a DLE and you have boat anchor after 2 - 3 years. I personaly have both but prefer DA over DLE any day
Just because you make it up doesn't mean it's true. What is it about paying all that money for a pretty shiny engine with red parts that makes grown men lose their minds? DA has the "BEST warranty sevice" because you paid for it up front.
When did DA start their lifetime commitment/warranty program? I need to check into that. When I call them will they laugh their ass off at me when I mention the lifetime warranty?

So pay a hefty price up front and everything is great. Pay a hefty price later and it's junk?

When a DA breaks down all you hear about is the great service by DA.
When a DLE breaks down all you hear is what a piece of junk it is.

I've had a DLE 55 since they came out that is still running so your fan boy fantasy is lost on me.
BTW, If you want an engine that really will last you a lifetime buy a Zenoah.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:59 AM
AJsToyz

I guess theres no such thing as having A thread to talk about A product with out having people say "My brand is better and cheaper" . The discount price compairison is what is starting the pissing match. Lets just keep this a DA thread and we won't have to worry about it! Take brand x to brand x thread!

Again, if you have a problem with a product or its price why do you need bother posting?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:16 AM
AJsToyz

You can stuff a carb through the firewall if you don't have room, you can't always stuff a muffler back there. Rear exhaust isn't the answer to world peace or best thing since sliced bread, its just a good option for some.

Currant project, front carb side exhaust, why? Just better for my application.

I still like the DA, very nice engine.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Whistling Death

I guess theres no such thing as having A thread to talk about A product with out having people say ''My brand is better and cheaper'' . The discount price compairison is what is starting the pissing match. Lets just keep this a DA thread and we won't have to worry about it! Take brand x to brand x thread!

Again, if you have a problem with a product or its price why do you need bother posting?
Why do you feel the need to call people idiots for not buying your brand of engine?
Lets see, how did you put it? "Thats idiot 101 in my book." Hmmm.
That's arrogance 101 in my book, a typical problem with the DA cult.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:23 PM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

made in the united states and our money stays here not china , but you go ahead i try to buy as much as i can made in this country to back our workers not support the chinese economy!!!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:12 PM
AJsToyz

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

I guess theres no such thing as having A thread to talk about A product with out having people say ''My brand is better and cheaper'' . The discount price compairison is what is starting the pissing match. Lets just keep this a DA thread and we won't have to worry about it! Take brand x to brand x thread!

Why do you feel the need to call people idiots for not buying your brand of engine?
Lets see, how did you put it? ''Thats idiot 101 in my book.'' Hmmm.
That's arrogance 101 in my book, a typical problem with the DA cult.
Ok, so since you didn't actually read you assumed, arrogance in your own book! Let me paste what I wrote so we can try again!

The thing that really just kills me is when some one sits there spends big bucks on an airframe, then more money one graphics, boat loads of money on radio equipment and says " Thats way to much for an engine" ? Thats idiot 101 in my book. Sorry , i will never understand that.

Where in there does it point out DA? I was refering to any good engine. So if some one would like to try a new product they are joining a cult? I do not own one but am very interseted. Am I in a cult for wanting to buy US products?

The only problem so far are the guys going into to threads trying to sell something that the threads not about.

Ok, can we go back to DA again?

Old 04-07-2013, 05:32 PM
airborne2.4

Yes, please, can we get back to DA
Old 04-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Mikola

this is the wrong forum for DA fanboys. please go to FG!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:16 PM
AJsToyz

Now we need to go into the fan boy thing? What is the problem with an engine hitting the market?

DA chooses to use some of the best materials on the market, and what they seem to feel are the best parts and configuration for a purpose.

If its to much money, don't buy it. If you don't like the looks of it, don't buy it. If you feel there is a better product on the market, then buy it!

No one has one at the moment and people are talking about them, I was thinking thats what a discussion forum is about. Not sure why people seem to feel the need to disrupt conversations.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:51 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone have one on order yet? I will be interested in seeing some numbers and how these handle.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Anyone have one on order yet? I will be interested in seeing some numbers and how these handle.
Me too.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:06 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

“Buying American” gets more and more difficult every year. And IF you factor in having to compromise on quality and possibly paying substantially more, most Americans will NOT buy domestic products, even if they are available.
But with a DA engine, there is NO COMPROMISE. Price-wise, they are little more expensive than Chinese copies, but you simply cannot do better on quality or customer service. When your DLE or ?? breaks, can you send it in for repairs to the guy who built it? Will the DLE repair center upgrade your engine for free? Are you supporting our manufacturing base by buying DLE? Nope.
Buying a DA means Buying American with ZERO compromises. It’s a no-brainer.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:27 PM
MTK

Is there a factory rep monitoring? I'd like to know engineering specs, running data and when available....Please!!

Price is of no consequence to me....I pay for whatI like.....
Old 04-29-2013, 01:49 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I am no factory rep, but I just spoke with Jeff at DA today and he says the DA70 twin should be available for purchase around the first of June. Price will be about $750. Props: 24x10 - 24x12 2 blade.

Dunno about you, but I am all over this little twin jewel as soon as it offered for sale
I never met a DA engine I didn't like...
I looked at both these engines at the AMA Expo in Ontario and they are, as expected, works of art.

p.s. Jeff also says they should have their new website up and running about that time as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92430.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1877376  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.