Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

How do I release a choke on a Walbro so it works freely with a servo

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

How do I release a choke on a Walbro so it works freely with a servo

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I release a choke on a Walbro so it works freely with a servo

I have a DA50 with a Walbro Carb. I need to release the choke from having resistance so a servo can operate it. I got a CRRC pro 50cc from a friend and the choke is released on that Walbro - it moves freely, but he got it from someone else and doesn't know how it was done.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:31 AM
coralcape
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: How do I release a choke on a Walbro so it works freely with a servo

Remove the choke butterfly and shaft. there is a small spring and ball under one end of the shaft hole. Remove them and reassemble shaft and butterfly. Good luck,, red
Old 04-07-2013, 03:40 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: How do I release a choke on a Walbro so it works freely with a servo

Use locktite on the screw that attaches the plate to the shaft!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:09 AM
Ih82crash

just extend the arm on the choke and you dont need to release it.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ih82crash

just extend the arm on the choke and you dont need to release it.
+1 and you don't have to worry about damaging the shaft when you remove the screw. It can be difficult to keep the original screw in place even when using loctite after removing and replacing it.

Just like the issue of removing throttle springs, there is just no good reason to remove the choke detent spring and ball.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:59 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I have a choke operated by a servo on one of my planes. Just a slightly longer arm on the shaft and a standard servo and it works fine.

If you do decide to disassemble the choke to take out that detent ball and spring, make sure you grind the staked portion of the screw off with a Dremel and a stone before removing the screw. If not, you will most likely ruin the shaft when taking out that screw.

AV8TOR
Old 04-07-2013, 11:35 AM
skillet92

How small of a servo are you using? I have a mini hitec 225 on my dle35 and it works with no problem.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: skillet92

How small of a servo are you using? I have a mini hitec 225 on my dle35 and it works with no problem.
I've used both a HS-85 and a 225. Using just a 1" arm on the carb, either works well. You do have to be careful about end point adjustments as in the closed position, the choke plate needs to fully seat closed but you don't want to stall the servo in the process. Open position is not as critical as the choke will pop into place when open.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:21 PM
skillet92

Truckracer I was told a good technique for setting up throttles and chokes and air valves from a fellow club member. I use an 8fg so I go into the end point menu and set that channel to zero of both sides. Then I plug the servo in and move each side to the proper setting. Works ever time and I don't have to worry about burning up the servo.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Basil Yousif

I had to put the Throttle servo and the choke servo so close together and there hard to get to behind the firewall on the 1/4 scale Great Planes Patty Wagstaff so it would be difficult to use a 1" arm to operate the choke. I got it to work pretty good without removing the choke spring. It would work better to remove it and let the choke move freely.

So there's a self tapping end on the screw that holds the round choke plate that I have to grind off.

I tried to take off the red anodized throttle arm on the DA50 and the screw head came off - ouch! I thought I was SOL but I had a Arm setup from Hobby King that goes over the whole throttle shaft that saved the day. Why do they use red Loctite on the screw threads don't they assume someday someone might have to the arm off!!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:12 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to do it without unscrewing the plate. Just saw a engine destroy a piston and sleeve when it ingested a choke plate screw that backed out.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:47 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Basil Yousif

I had to put the Throttle servo and the choke servo so close together and there hard to get to behind the firewall on the 1/4 scale Great Planes Patty Wagstaff so it would be difficult to use a 1'' arm to operate the choke. I got it to work pretty good without removing the choke spring. It would work better to remove it and let the choke move freely.

So there's a self tapping end on the screw that holds the round choke plate that I have to grind off.

I tried to take off the red anodized throttle arm on the DA50 and the screw head came off - ouch! I thought I was SOL but I had a Arm setup from Hobby King that goes over the whole throttle shaft that saved the day. Why do they use red Loctite on the screw threads don't they assume someday someone might have to the arm off!!

Actually it is not a self tapping screw. It is a normal screw that has had the end swaged so that it cannot back out. If you try to back it out without grinding off that swage, it will destroy the threads in the hole. Then you'll be looking for a new choke shaft. I have taken lots of them apart, not to remove the detent spring and ball, but sometimes to add them, along with making a detent spot in the choke shaft. I grind off the screw end, disassemble and do whatever it is I want to do, then re-assemble using blue Loctite on the screw threads and head. Never had one come loose yet.....

If you are at all worried about it, use red Loctite instead of blue, but don't ever plan on taking it apart again.

AV8TOR
Old 04-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Basil Yousif

I'll grind the tip off the screw- and to put it back on I'll use Blue Locktite. So I should also put a plastic bag inside the carb to catch the metal shavings.
Sounds good I'll perform the sergury now!!
Old 04-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Basil Yousif

That was really easy to do. The Choke moves really easy now and doesn't stay slightly open when it's closed. Here's some pictures of the plane. Some friends told me not to use metal pushrods but I haven't had any trouble with interfearance using them on other planes. They do run through a plastic tube.

I hope the Hitec HS5645 MG servos aren't too slow. I do have a set of HS5625 MG's I could throw in instead that are faster but that are 30ft/lbs less in torqu.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30462.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1871694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12230.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1871695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52406.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1871696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11902.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1871697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr91397.jpg
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1871698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy35452.jpg
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1871699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oq22651.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	1871700  
Old 04-16-2013, 11:43 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And some people play with gas and matchs, but it's not a good idea. Change the metal clevis you have to 2-56 ball links made by Dubro they are nylon and bolt on so they won't come off.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Basil Yousif

So it's not Radio or ignition interfearance that's the problem but a spark caused by metal to metal contact that can set some fuel around the carb on fire.