Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

What are the top 5 All composite Planes ?

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

What are the top 5 All composite Planes ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Dale813

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the top 5 All composite Planes ?

I'll soon be buying a all composite Q500 for 426. I been looking at a couple different makes. But many that I see don't have close up pics and was hoping some of you could post pics, make suggestions and or give me input on which ones to choose from. I've seen them from $499-$575. The ones that I have my eye on so far is the Ninja, R200 and the Sam Rai.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:05 PM
rbg

Default RE: What are the top 5 All composite Planes ?

Hey buddy.. they're 3 things to racing and winning.. #1 is practice practice pratice. Those top wining guys are flying every day # 2 is motor - know how to adjust to conditions for optimum

results.

# 3 is airplane. any composite plane is good period. Wood airplanes are just as competitive.. in 426 that is proven last year.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:42 PM
masama1107
My Feedback: (44)

SAM-RAI should be your Q-500 choice!!!

Very fast, stable, predictable, easy to set up....
Tracks very well. Assembly can be completed in a couple of evenings.
Customer service is awesome. Planes are readily available!!!

Check them out at www.sam-rairacing.com
Old 04-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rbg

Hey buddy.. they're 3 things to racing and winning.. #1 is practice practice pratice. Those top wining guys are flying every day # 2 is motor - know how to adjust to conditions for optimum

results.

# 3 is airplane. any composite plane is good period. Wood airplanes are just as competitive.. in 426 that is proven last year.

rbg,

Why the attitude? Dale didn't ask if he should get one or if he should practice more. He asked what are the top 5 composite planes out there. You didn't answer his question, so why post a response.

Just look at the Nats 2012 results: Mostly Vortex's and Neme-Q's. They are at the top of the price range. Ninjas, Sam-rai's, Slingshots, Shotguns are more readily available and cost less.

Kurt
Old 04-09-2013, 03:14 AM
luv to race
My Feedback: (1)

Dale,

We will try and get some pics up here for you to look at. Is there any particular part of the plane you are wanting to see up close? For the price range you listed, the "SAM-RAI" or the Ninja are both excellent options. Both are proven winners! Both are full composite (wing, tail, and fuselage), so they can be a little more durable for rough landings and hanger rash. I don't know the price of the NemeQ's, but great airplane as well..

I fly the Vortex quickie. It is a composite wing and tail, but the fuselage is a laser cut balsa design. It is a great flying plane, and proven to win on the big stage. My dad builds and sells the plane in a built condition, for about $700 to your door. Marcus Blanchard sells the kit for us ( [email protected] ) for around $400 or so. You can email him at for further details.

Lastly.. You are from Tampa? I fly with some guys are the Mulberry flying field, maybe we can meet out there and you can look at an airplane up close? just let us know.

Regards,
Randy Bridge
Old 04-09-2013, 05:50 AM
EXPRESSO PYLON RACER

Dale , We are having a (smoken deal ) on our Full composite Q - 500 planes at this time .Order 2 or more and the cost is $ 500.00 each & shipping cost .To get this deal go to Sam - Rai Racing web site & fill out contact information . Turn Left - Go Fast - Have Fun - Team Sam -Rai Racing
Old 04-09-2013, 07:19 AM
daven

they are all competitive in 426, all fly great, and they can all win.

Many of the top racers flew Vortex's and Neme-Q's when it was 428 on a longer course, now I personally think any of the modern designs can win and I've flown them all, except the R200, but I believe one placed high (top 5) in last years nats by Randy Ritch.

D
Old 04-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Dale813

Thanks Guys. @Randy. Yep. I met you and Dennis a while back and I watched you two practice. That's what got me into this. I raced 424 at Mulberry snd did well. 2nd on Sat. 4th on Sun. I've been buying all my JETT stuff from Dennis. You guys are Great. I will continue to Race 424 for a while but I have the need for a lot more speed ! I won't need more pics. In the end. I may just get one of your Dads. I saw the last one for sale and it was a Beauty. I have a 426 plane now and will be getting a new motor from Dennis next time he heads out there. I just can't wait to go FAST !!!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:26 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't need a composite plane to go fast - I have a Sam Rai that's a fast plane which was kit built - sheeted foam wing, laser cut balsa fuse. Scott Hartman has posted some good build threads on the forums with lots of information on building a race plane. In fact, this Sam Rai is one that Scott built that he used in the threads..

Composites are definitely easier to get in the air, there's less work. I'm currently putting together a Shotgun, a conventional tail plane. Not much "work" to it, install the radio, tank, engine - oh, and the horizontal stab.

I also have a Neme-Q fuse/tail that I horse traded for after the composite wing was destroyed in a midair. I think it'll end up with a sheeted foam replacement wing, because I'm cheap.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Randy Etken
My Feedback: (10)

Randy Ritch placed 3rd last year at the Nats with a R-200.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:56 AM
luv to race

Hey Dale.. I remember you for sure. Sorry, just didn't place the name. So as you can see here, you have lots of options. It just comes down to "how much free time you have to build", and ultimately "budget".

I was in the pit right next to Randy Ritch at last years AMA Nats, and he said the R200 flew fantastic as well. Maybe R.Etken can throw I price out there for our new buddy Dale?

Fizz is right as too. You really don't need a composite airframe to be competitive in 426. And you can certainly build a foam/balsa kit on a very small budget. Time is the killer with those..

Randy Bridge
Old 04-11-2013, 04:52 AM
diggs_74

Having flown just just about all of them I can tell you that you can't really go wrong with any of the above.. As RB mentioned, just go with what fits you're budget the best and have fun..
Old 04-11-2013, 05:07 AM
BarryReade

Dale, spend lots of money on your planes.  

Get a loan from the bank so you will worry about making the payments.( that will make your concentration go down so i can beat you)  

You know that I am only here to help you. ;-D
Old 04-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Dale813

I'm thinking of just skipping 426 and getting a Quarter Midget. LOL just kidding.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 AM
Scorpion Racing

Sweet!!! I like the mid wing ones...