Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Aero Works P-51?

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Aero Works P-51?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 AM
HiCurrent

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Aero Works P-51?

Thanks for the warning about the firewall. I better re-enforce it while I still can.
I was going to replace the gear with Sierra (the best gear mony can buy) but I don't want to do anything to the wing. I just want a drop in replacement.
The AW gear is a really bad copy of the Robart gear. I keep telling everyone that "the chinese don't know how to make metal". This seems to be proven true in every case.
Does anyone having problem with the landing gear mount or the rib that it monted to. I just want to know so I can put in carbon fiber support while it is still in place. If I have done research before I bought this plane, I would have stay away from it.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 AM
JamesPool
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the sierra gear in my plane too. The modification wasn't bad at all - easy really. It's a good night of work.

Also, i haven't had any issues with the gear mounting blocks. Just the firewall. I'm not kidding when I say this, but I've had 4 dead stick landing due to fire wall coming loose. I finally cut the front off the plane off and started over.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:47 AM
HiCurrent

How much do you have to grind the landing gear aluminum bracket mount to get the Sierrra cylinder in. I've changed my mind about the Robart gear. I'm thinking about getting the Sierra gear.
Last Saturday I took the AW P51 out again after I straightened out the locking pin (real soft like jelly - done with my hands, no vice) for a second flight. This time the main struss bent. I looked at the Robart gear in my friend's TF P51 and it is just as skinny; although the metal is much harder.

Also, do you know how to program the sequencer. I need to reprogram the delay time sequences between the door and the gear. On my P51, on the ground the gear retracted ok but in the air it couldn't. As the result, the door closed before the gear went all the way up.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Here's some pics I took when converting mine to the Sierra gear. There's an operating manual around here somewhere for that sequencer, you'll need to do a search for it or see if Mark may have one in a .pdf format or something he could send you.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10560702
Old 02-18-2013, 08:55 AM
HiCurrent

Thank you for the tip. I see that somepeople having trouble getting the Sierra gear to fit in properly. I just don't really want to work on this plane, it's not worth my time. I hardly have time to work on my Aerotech KI84 as it is. I'm going to use the Robart gear for now. That's mean I can't fly it anymore until middle of March when Towers has stock. Meanwhile I still can fly my Yellow P40. It's been a trouble free for me (almost).
Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 AM
HiCurrent

By the way, I found the instruction for the sequencer. RCBEE is another name for this unit. The instructions said 8 beeps for 8 seconds, but it only does 4 seconds. I guess the chinese seconds is only 1/2 of everybody else.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:00 PM
miker49
My Feedback: (4)

guys,my airtank leaked from day 1.was told by aeroworks the warranty was 30 days and that i should have checked it.who the hell checks an air tank.i knew it was gonna be awhile before i got itready.wish i had gotten the mans name from aeroworks but i was too mad.called robart and they guaranteed to me if it sets for a year and leaks,it's covered.and i was gonna buy the cessna 195, NO WAY
Old 02-24-2013, 07:07 PM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Okay now that you have replaced the air tank replace all the airlines replace the air valves replaced this servos controlling the air valves replaced the uppers on the maingear with Robarts and you should be in pretty good shape then
Old 03-07-2013, 08:53 AM
HiCurrent

I need a bomb mount, anyone not using it and want to sell ?
Old 03-07-2013, 04:07 PM
tom2bell

We sell replacment pillons.
Please give us a call at aeroworks 303 371-4222
Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 AM
JamesPool

Hello All:

Has anyone paint matched the blue and/or silver the yet? I need to paint a new spinner. And, touch-up the Cowl.

Many thanks,
James
Old 05-07-2013, 12:18 PM
ronht

Has anyone tried using the Robart electric gear in the P-51 yet?  Just curious if this could solve some of these gear problems.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:06 PM
HiCurrent

The Robart retract has a small air cylinder. So on take off at full throttle, the high speed air going through the bottom of the wing causing a big air pressure prevents the gear to go all the way up. You need to slow down to about half throttle in order to retract the gear, otherwise the inner gear door will close before the main gear. This also happens on the Topflight P51. If you want to fly fast and still be able to get the gear up, you would need the Sierra gear.
I think the electric may just fix this problem, but I don't really know.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:33 AM
ronht

I'm getting ready to order a P-51 from Aeroworks and am thinking that I'll use the Robart electric gear with the installed air inner gear door operation and sequence the whole thing through my DX-18 rather than use the installed sequencer. Anyone have any experience or information on how that idea might work?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Ron
Old 09-24-2013, 04:09 AM
cavery
My Feedback: (1)

I recently picked up a used Aeroworks P-51. I'm in the process of swapping over to Robart electric retracts. I also plan on using electric actuators for the gear doors. Unfortunately, the previous owner had air leak issues with the original gear door setup, and removed the hinges, air cylinder etc., so I have no idea what the original setup looked like. If someone here is willing to take some pictures of the gear door setup, where I can see actuator and where it was mounted, it would be fantastic. The length of the actuator would also be valuable information as I shop for an electric version.

Lado makes gear door actuators that com in a 20mm & 30mm throw length. I'm hoping one of those will work. I have a DX 18 QQ and will use it for sequencing.

thank in advance!
Old 09-24-2013, 05:07 AM
Zeeb

Don't have any measurements nor pictures specific to the gear doors, but here are a few of the pics I took when converting mine to the Sierra gear. They ought to give you an idea of what the factory setup looks like.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1stInstall.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1924422   Click image for larger version

Name:	RWstrut well.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1924423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Strut hits.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1924424  
Old 10-23-2013, 08:23 AM
miker49

this just gets better and better.wanted to purchase some of the 2.6x16mm screws for the control horns in the p-51d.had to remove mine,they are kinda soft and did'nt want to re-use them.i was told by vince they don't have these packaged for sale.ok aeroworks,where do i get them?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Aero-Works

Hello Mike,

We don’t typically sale just the screws separately as they can easily be found at your local hardware store or vendors like micro fasteners so we offer them as set with the control horns. But I have Vince checking with the warehouse to see if we have some screws in stock for you. Please email or call Vince back and he will see what we can find.

Thank you
Rocco
Old 10-23-2013, 09:03 AM
miker49

thank you Rocco and Vince for coming thru for me with these screws.i did try quite a few places and had no luck.again i thank you,mike
Old 10-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Aero-Works

No problem glad we were able to help

Thank you
Rocco
Old 10-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Zeeb

Hey Rocco, For what it's worth I had a similar issue with my P-51 only I was short some of the screws for the horns. Those screws being wood/metal and 2.6mm diameter make them impossible to find anywhere that I looked. When I called you guys again and explained the problem, one of your folks scrounged up some screws for me and sent them or I'd have been out of luck.

That being the case and since they are two different lengths for the different surfaces, perhaps you could track some spares down?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Aero-Works

Zeeb,

We do typically have a few spares lying around but not sure how many?
I will have to look into it and try to have more in stock for our customers that need them.

If you contact our sales department they would be able to help you order some if you need them.

Thank you
Rocco
Old 10-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Zeeb

I'm good Rocco I needed 4 long ones and 2 short ones for the elevators and one (I don't remeber who) of your guys found 'em in the shop for me. I just thought I'd mention the difficulty I had finding those odd size metric wood/metal screws in the USA. Lot's of people had the 2.6 machine screws but nobody had a wood/metal screw.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:49 PM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

Just wanted to add an update to this thread. I was the original one to install the Sierra gear on my P-51 and have been flying it ever since basically trouble free. I did add some carbon fiber strips on the interior of the firewall and drilled holes and installed some screws, not to repair anything, but just as added insurance as with any airplane, ARF or not, you need to add as much safety and strength as possible. I recently had a couple of dead stick landings which turned out to be my ignition battery regulator overheating in the summer heat (100+ degrees out!). All I did was move it away from the firewall, further back into the fuselage and problem solved. The regulars at the flying field were amazed just how far the plane would glide without power as the engine died at low altitude, near the end of the runway. I was able to pull up, bring it around, drop the gear at the last moment, and do a "military style" approach and landing as smooth as silk!! The plane has near 150 flights on it now, flying it with a DA50 and a Menz 20x12 prop. The prop lends itself to hi speed level flight (about 100mph on a radar gun) but sucks at anything vertical. Most of my flying is in formation with a TF P-51, and a Byron T-6. Suprisingly, all 3 planes are very closely matched in top speed adding to the fun. All said and done, I would buy this plane again, especially since it is available without the landing gear now, since it is such a great flyer and looks awesome.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	img707.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	1936472  

Last edited by rslstft; 11-04-2013 at 06:51 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Aero-Works

Russ,

Glad to hear you are happy with the plane and wish you great success and many more happy landings!

Thanks
Rocco

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.