Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

formula offroad, Mkll twin build, pic heavy

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

formula offroad, Mkll twin build, pic heavy

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 AM
mooman007uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: formula offroad, Mkll twin build, pic heavy

finally got all my wiring done, rx, killswitch, banana plugs, servos etc...so ready to start

been working on the body work...seeing as i'm completely void of artistic talent i can't figure a paint scheme so being in a hurry to get this finished it's staying raw...gonna get beat to hell anyhow...i'll throw a bunch of stickers on it and call it good...will paint the roof and it's name is all

scaled it yesterday...48lbs[&:] will be 53 with paddles, body and gas...bit more than i wanted so hoping my gearing is low enough, have one lower gear option with 13/58... it's 14/57 right now

have to remake a few steering components now the thicker cable arrived and then it'll be finished[8D]
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 PM
mooman007uk

and the body is done

and with bigger tires

steering to do again with bigger cable and ready to pull on the string
Old 04-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

That's a mean machine you've got there mate.
Love it.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:44 AM
pcarluvr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lean, Mean, And GREEN! That is awesome! Should bend and weld some tube around those fenders, they look a little....flimsy? And a Scotch~brite cookie on and angle grinder and give the body one of those swirly circle patterns and clear it!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:06 PM
mooman007uk

thanks guys, i made the fenders bendable so i can just straighten them out after a tumble or 2 from the top of a gravel pit hill it's gonna have plenty of dings, dents and scratches so i decided against any form of cosmetics, kind of a waste of time and effort..

about an hr left on the steering wheel tomorrow and it'll get it's shakedown run in the yard... at last, i'll get my go pro charged and a handheld camera ready....a quick 10 min blast to get a heat cycle in it then i'll tune it and destroy those little tires

turned up a servo horn wheel, just need to drill a couple holes for the lock barrels and to bolt the arm to the wheel

now i have to get the tires done and limiting straps figured so i can hit the hill

new cable is near twice the diameter of the old stuff, outer is more flexible too

end nipple is 3 times the size and so are the new fittings i made...the old set up was a bit too weedy but i feel confident it'll hold up now

Old 04-09-2013, 04:18 PM
mooman007uk

so i got it all done[8D], steering all finished, worked great on the bench...put it on the ground ready to gas it up and wheels no turn...come to find that my tone servo couldn't pull a greased stick out of a dogs bottom[&:] i can stall it with my hand...motor is hooped...works fine with no load but any load stalls it.....
i emailed Ian Oddie to see if he's willing to rebuild it...i can use a stock ps050 but will be sacrificing some speed and torque from an Oddified one....
Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 PM
bentley marshall

that sucks mate
Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 AM
mooman007uk

servo is on it's way to Ian for repairs he said the motors can go bad in time, and mine is 19yrs old judging by the serial number, so he'll test it, replace the motor, gear it for a bit more torque (will sacrifice a tad of speed but talking nths of a second) wont cost much either....just have to wait for 2-3weeks now for the turnaround

so a very big thank you to Ian at Oddified
Old 04-11-2013, 05:00 PM
mooman007uk

could wait no more, had to start it...no rear driveshaft which was just as well or i'd have nailed it, sans steering, across the yard

the noise running rich but response is instant....now i'm motivated to attack the tires

enjoy the sweet music...will be a monster when it gets on the pipes

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGkjSHql85k&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Old 04-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Lars from Norway

It sounds very angry and aggressive I think this thing will rip! Call it "The Ripper"
Old 05-02-2013, 07:44 PM
mooman007uk

ladies and jellyspoons, meet "ClimbmaX" yep it's all done, took it for a spin with the little tires and steers great, spins up to wot instantly and just stands still

a big thanks to Ian Oddie at oddified rc for fixing my servo and getting it back the next day...awesome service

so now i'm ready for the hill, just have to tune it tomorrow and there will be plenty of video coming this weekend, onboard, on ground and aerial[8D]

Old 05-03-2013, 07:16 AM
pcarluvr

Awesome,massive,scary,beautiful all wrapped up into one incredible r/c!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Lars from Norway

Way too cool! Congratulations with the build!
Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 AM
mooman007uk

after a run or 2 in my yard i headed to the hill, first outing both rear stub axles snapped, oops...ground most of the weld away when i did them so quick fix and back to the hill, don't need spares in my toolbox for this rig, just a welder.....lol

here's the inaugural run at the hill

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25KG_w_5n9o[/youtube]

the v2 transfer gear/rear stub axle/brakes set up is nearly finished, after much head scratching.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:37 PM
mooman007uk

the new transfer gear and brake set up is finally done, ended up using the brakes off my toxyc, easy to mount and will have ample stopping power...worked out fitting together nicely...looks simple now but took a fair bit of thought utilizing the stuff i had on hand, thanks again to Clayton at Vertigo performance for running a bunch of their mcd bearing carriers down to me, they made life much easier. both gear shafts are now braced together and i went to a 58t spur from a 56t(thought it was a 57), goes from 12:1 final to 12.42:1

will get it tuned tomorrow and head back to the hill
Old 05-25-2013, 04:36 PM
mooman007uk

well that didn't go as planned, took a few attempts to get it tuned...first the throttle servo died...then the aluminum retaining nut kept spinning off the gear shaft..i guess the side load under power was enough to stall the nut in the bearing and spin it loose, needed a left hand thread...don't have one of those ...so a quick modification was required to isolate the nut from the bearing race, had to lengthen the gearshaft by welding a grade 8 bolt on the end, then used 6x10x3 bearings for the bolt to ride in and then another nut on the back to lock it all together...now it can't come loose...much happier with this set up

Old 06-13-2013, 07:04 AM
mooman007uk

gearbox mod works like a hot damn...went out last weekend, managed 20mins before i snapped both rear axles clean in two...my welds held this time but a hurrax chmoly shaft let go as did the hsp spool shaft...will be making new axles from 4140 rod and after filling the grub screw slot in the hsp shaft hex i'll heat treat it...with spools, 54lb vehicle and 4lb tires i have to make sure in the future that after cresting a lip to hit the brakes to stop the wheels then release the brake before landing..or something will snap...my biggest surprise is the cvd pins...i've blown gears and sheared the rear axle shafts twice but the lil' old 4mm pins are hanging tough

here's a quick vid ...crap resolution as i tried some ebay video glasses and all my gopro footage got corrupted when i tried to load it into my editor[:@] so from 20mins i managed to get about 3mins of low def
i'll just add that in the vid where the motor sounds like it's struggling to hit the pipes it's not, just that i'm not wot, everything else that's run this hill you need to peg it from the bottom, this thing you don't have to..once i get the driving of this mastered, i don't think there'll be many hill courses it wont get up do think i'll be adding some cooling fans to the heads...it gets a bit hot after 10-15mins of very high load, hi revs, low ground speed. at the end of the vid it vapour locked (carb bubbles empty)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzMCsV1KgQY&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]