Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Skygate Hawk in the house !

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Skygate Hawk in the house !

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:57 AM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CARF Skygate Hawk in the house !

Thanks Colin,

Yes, I have an aluminium pushrod in my hawk.

Chatty.
ORIGINAL: Colin Gontier

Hi Chatty, The design for the elevator actuation is all the same as the original Skygate setup, but if Im not mistaken the Skygate kits had an aluminium bar stock pushrod for the elevator - I would imagine that is what you have in yours ? For a few reasons the latest version has switched to a carbon pushrod which necessitated a joint and that is where we found the issue. The notification issued by CARF basically makes for a much stronger joint in that area.

regards

Colin
Old 04-09-2013, 04:53 PM
toti_ducati
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have ordered a white one and was concerned about the elevator issue, ok once carbon rods has been reinforced it will not be a problem anymore? 2) if one elevator servo fails will the elevator still work? Or the linkage would just be pulled to one side and hence no elevator?
Old 04-09-2013, 05:19 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi, that elevator system has been around from the Skygate time and has worked. You should have no issues once you make sure that the rods are glued together well and are solid.

From what I can see, if one servo goes, we would not be facing a happy result unless something freaky lucky happens.

Thanks

Behzad
Old 04-09-2013, 06:54 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually, if Comp Arf is using the same elevator setup then you should still have elevator authority if you loose a servo. Usually when a servo fails it locks up. The Skygate setup will work if you only have one servo. It may not pull out of a dive but still would have 30% plus throuw.
Scott
Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 PM
flesche

I also recived mine white,now I am ready to apply the decals and Ali I am agree I think this is one of the nicest scheme I have seen on the Hawk.
Geir
Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 PM
flesche

Still problem with pictures?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73926.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1870524  
Old 04-10-2013, 10:07 PM
topiwala

Just waiting for my hawk to turn up. Why wouldn't any new hawk builder just use the alternate option of mounting the servos in the tail, behind the stab. Definitely a more direct connection. Im certainly looking to doing this. Would it be possible for current hawk owners to change the system to the new installation?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:37 PM
marc s

I believe Colin is working with CARF on a 'tail' mounted servo system for this kit, I may be wrong but worth checking out.

Maybe Colin will update.

marcs
Old 04-10-2013, 11:54 PM
topiwala

As I understand my hawk should be coming with the new alternative installation as an option. So the tail mounted system is already in production. Will post back when I get mine.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:06 AM
Colin Gontier

Hi guys,

Yes there is a tail mounted servo option being looked at very carefully. Its not quite as simple as just sticking the servos in the tail as moment arms and other specific considerations have to be looked at before it is released as a production option. Some testing has already gone on with one aircraft and I know CARF are working hard on it . I should be receiving another airframe soon so will get that put together as soon as poss.

regards

Colin

Old 04-11-2013, 12:12 AM
topiwala

Hi Colin 
Thanks. I was led to understand that the option was already being offered. Seems now that it isn't. Nevertheless I can't wait to get the hawk on the workbench. 

Old 04-11-2013, 12:23 AM
Colin Gontier

Im not aware of any kits being shipped with the option as yet but you will have plenty to be getting on with once the kit arrives anyway. Be prepared for a big bird !

regards

Colin
Old 04-12-2013, 04:23 AM
toti_ducati

Hi scott, thanks for the reply, this is good enough, i havent recieved the kit yet, but i am already thinking of a redundant elev system similar to the pull pull dual servo w pulleys set up on giant scale rudder set up when one servo fails the system still works on one servo
Old 04-12-2013, 04:25 AM
toti_ducati

Hi scott, thanks for the reply, this is good enough, i havent recieved the kit yet, but i am already thinking of a redundant elev system similar to the pull pull dual servo w pulleys set up on giant scale rudder set up when one servo fails the system still works on one servo
Old 04-15-2013, 02:33 AM
flesche

At last it looks that we can upload pic

Name:	Nl30876.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1872326  
Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 AM
topiwala

Just received my hawk in white. And yes it has the tail mounted servo provisions built in. The stab comes with two control horn options. A set of double horns for the original carbon rod setup. And another centreline mounted solid 3mm thick horn for the tail mount option. Will upload pics later. The model build quality is just the best I've seen. I'll definitely be going with the tail mount option for the stab servos.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:08 AM
topiwala

And yes it is a big bird. But not inconvenient.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:29 AM
DUCMOZ

Great. Please post picture of the new set-up as soon as you can as some of us are waiting to see it and then make decision.

Regards

Behzad
Old 04-16-2013, 11:38 PM
topiwala

Pictures attached for the new stab/elevator setup. Looks pretty rugged. Just wondering integrity of the new horn in the centre of the stab box. It looks solid enough.
Essentially, the new system is made up of two servos mounted facing each other, with dual 3mm rods attached either side of elevator the horn. Each rod driven by separate servo. It will be interesting getting both servos in the hole. Might have to install one from outside of servo mount and the other inside.
Essentially, it looks solid enough for me to use this alternative instead of the original long rod running half way down the fuselage. Never have been a fan of that system.
I'd be interested in comments. I'll post pics through my build process.

ps not sure why one of my images coems thru upside down.

Rgds
Mayur

Name:	Ge96333.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1872880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52450.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1872881  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 AM
DUCMOZ

Hi Mayur

Thanks for the picture. I would be a luttle concern about having the horn right in the center between the elevator halves. that could essentially weaken the joint and structure? Otherwise, the rest looks good. I wonder if we could make a linkage to use the old horns with one short rod going from a "T". One thing I really like about the old system is that we dson't have to worry about running the servo wires etc.. over the hot pipe. Especially that the pipe for this plane is single wall.

Thanks again for pictures.

Behzad
Old 04-17-2013, 09:19 AM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone comment on the newer models and how the painted in the mold edges are finished?
I am on the fence about ordering white versus painted in the mold.
Thanks
Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 AM
DUCMOZ

Hi Dave

I have the Red Arrows. If you are looking something of a Scale Master quality, it is not. But, for everyday flying Sclae model is very good. The seams seem to be masked about 0.25" wide and painted. I got touch up paint to do the inlets all over to eliminate the seams there. I know you have the UB. to my opinion, if you consider the surface finish and shine on UB "10", then we have a close 8.5 to 9 for Hawk.

You are welcome to e-mail me if you need more info.

Behzad
Old 04-17-2013, 11:44 AM
topiwala

Thinking about it a bit more, the horn in the centre shouldn't adversly affect the structure anymore then the dual horns mount to the side. In terms of servo wire routing using the new mounting method, I'm planning on using the existing elevator rod guides with high temp grade fibreglass sleeving and silicone insulated wiring. There is adequate spacing between the routing and the pipe. Should be okay.
The one thing I am looking to do is change the existing ply mounting plate to solid carbon and using alloy servo mounts bolted to the carbon plate. The ply structure may introduce flex which I'm not happy with. I'll work on this and post back.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmm...nope... the new arrangement is a direct link. With the failure of one servo you are definitely screwed. I have looked at the original design on mine very, very closely and its brilliant. Sure there is a long carbon fibre tube but it is well supported and in the event of a single servo failure I would at least have a partial chance in saving the airplane. Mr. Voelker you are my hero!

Dean W.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:50 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking about this and have had a failure on my Edge 54040% rudder. There were two multiplex Jumbo servos ganged together and then to a pull-pull.

I had dual receivers, dual batteries. One side failed which left one rudder servo working. I never observed exactly what happened on the ground but I used a lot of rudder to correct some other isues from the power failure to land. My point is that perhaps the good servo can drive the bad the one enough to land.

I also had a similar failure of one aileron servo on another Edge with two per aileron. I could sense something was "off" on the roll rate but the plane landed fine, that was when I realized the one servo was driving the other.

Now, I certainly agree that the original design would work better (less resistance) with a failure, just my 2 cents. I am hoping to order one of these soon.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.