Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

glow plug help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Jew1028

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glow plug help!

I just inherited a older hpi nitro car. It has a nitro star 15fe motor and i need a new glow plug for it but can't find what size i need. Any help would be very appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:09 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: glow plug help!

I ran a McCoy medium plug in mine.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:26 PM
rx7devil210

I got 3 off ebay iridium platinums for 10 bucks.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 PM
JoeMaxx

There are a lot of choices out there to pick from in the medium heat and hot range on this engine.

Personally I like to run Fox Plugs in my Nitros in the Medium heat range with 20 % Nitro. Duratrax makes a Carbon Speed plug that I would also suggest.

See what your LHS has and choose between a Medium heat to Hot Plug. Medium heat plugs will last longer but require more tuning then Hot Plugs.Hot Plugs will always fire the engine up and once you get into cooler plugs they require more tuning.People will tell itis ignition timingand this is true.I over the 13 years that I have been running Nitrous that the Medium Heat plugs last longer and once you learn how to tune an engine they are very easy to maintain.

If your a beginner in Nitros Hot Plugs are easy to tune because they will always fire and keep an even idle down side is they do not last as long as a cooler plug. If you are more experienced I suggest a Medium Heat Plug ranges. But they require moredaily tuning if you have changes in outdoor temps and humidity than will last for a long time. These are just my experiences in running different plugs over the years others may have better suggestions.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Jew1028

Is there a certain size i need?
Old 04-11-2013, 04:21 AM
fdjizm

NO, the normal glow plugs are pretty much standard.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

ORIGINAL: Jew1028

Is there a certain size i need?
Yes there's short and long plug, get the short glow plug, and don't get the plug with idle bars on it.
I beleive glow plug with idle bar are for planes.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:33 PM
JoeMaxx

Idle bar plugs are meant for Planes and Helicopters because of the air flow to the engines. The idle bar keeps the glow hotter in cold condtions.

Traxxas is about the only engine that uses a long plug which is about 3 threads longer than a standard plug.An extra copper shim will set them right in the dome of the piston head if used.

While this will work in just about any engine it is not advisable to use a long plug in other engines. It will throw off your timing and at the same time increase your compression and cause the engine to not idle well.

Unless you own a Traxxas Engine always use a standard plug. While you can use a standard plug in a Traxxas engine it will decrease the compression and not fire as well because it is sunk into the head to far than cause the engine not to idle very well.

Man we went round and round on another forum about this and these dudes insisted Traxxas Longplugs will run in anything. Yes they will but it is not advisable to do so. Always run the right plug for your engine and nitro content. Most medium heat and hot short plugs are meant for most engines.

Turbo Plug engines are whole new set of plugs if you attempt to screw a Turbo Plug into your engine it will strip the threads since they have a thicker and different sized thread pretty much they will not fit. I have2 Turbo plug engines.