Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Hinging control surfaces on Depron

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Hinging control surfaces on Depron

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 03:00 AM
ululi1970

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hinging control surfaces on Depron

I am working on my first foamie built with 2mm Depron, and I have a rather simple question.
The ailerons in the kit were already precut, and the instructions direct to use tape to attach them to the wing. So I did, using a continuous strip of tape on both sides, leaving 2mm of space between the ailerons and the wing.
The ailerons work fine, but they are rather stiff to operate. I have not flown it yet, but I noticed that one of the servos is already trying to work itself loose, so I am wondering if I should have taped them only on one side.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:57 AM
FreiGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hinging control surfaces on Depron

First make sure you are using 3M Blenderm tape. In the RC world, we refer to it as hinge tape. You'll want to tape your hinges the whole length of the control surface, not short little 1" wide strips a few places along the length.

I'm making the assumption you've already cut 45 degree bevels into the bottom of your ailerons.

With your 2mm gap you mentioned, tape the flat surfaces together ( top of your ailerons).
Then with the top tape nice and pressed in place, flip the aileron completely over so it's sitting on top of the wing surface. Now place another full length strip of hinge tape on the bottom and press in place.

You should be all set and your control surfaces should move freely.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:37 PM
ululi1970

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you get that type of tape. Assuming it was a medical tape, I went to the local drug store, but they only have generic brands...
Alberto
Old 04-13-2013, 06:32 PM
FreiGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hobby store will have it
Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also , medical supply stores, crutches, wheelchairs etc, sell it.