Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Zepsus Magnetic Switch

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Zepsus Magnetic Switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:04 PM
karlmax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zepsus Magnetic Switch

Is there any of you out there, who know thisMagnetic Switch
Can it be used in sailboats?

Old 12-31-2012, 03:48 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Zepsus Magnetic Switch

If its the one here - http://zepsus.com/magnetic-switch/
it appears to be a Hall effect device with some added circuitry.  
Provided that the boat does not need more power than the device can handle, there should be no great problem, other than providing a means to keep the magnet handy for switching off when required. Magnets can be tricky items at the poolside - in a pocket they could do unfortunate things to credit cards or fasten all your loose change together, on a small model, there is the weight penalty of housing it on the model.  It is an alternative way of getting a waterproof switch on a small hull, but access would still be needed to allow battery charging.
The submarine lads might be interested.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 AM
karlmax

I'm not an electronics expert. I'm more a mechanical guy.
It seems to be really smart. If it works, it will solve a lot of problems.
Especially for those who sail much in seawater.
If the small version is not big enough. It´s also available in an extra strong version http://zepsus.com/magnetic-switch-15a/
But I probably settle for the small version.
The magnet is not a problem with credit cards, you haven't seen mythbusters?
Yes I think you're right, it will probably be fine in a submarine
Old 01-02-2013, 02:56 AM
mfr02

Yes, I've seen mythbusters, including the episode where they busted the credit card myth. In the interests of TV broadcasting standards, they missed out the potent newer magnets and didn't mention that not all cards are equal. New ones take more coercing than others, and the newer chip n pin ones might be invulnerable, but there are other devices using magnetic swipe cards. Not being able to get back into work might be an annoyance.
I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in UK our "copper" currency is no longer copper, its copper plated steel. Many coin op machines, as part of their coin recognition process, use the magnetic signature of the coin, and one that has been magnetised might be a source of annoyance if you couldn't get your drink can from the machine, or, possibly, your car out of the car park.
If the magnet can be retained on the boat, no problem. If not, it would need some sort of housing maybe like a retractable USB stick to put on a key ring. I think that they could be a great device, but, like anything new, there may be some minor pitfalls to avoid with a bit of thinking through.

Edit later today. Did a bit of digging. More information here -http://planet-soaring.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/magnetic-switches-become-more-and-more.html
and here - http://zepsus.com/smart-magnet-holder/ and a separate magnet is seen as a problem that can be solved.
It does appear that one pass of the magnet toggles it on, the next pass toggles it off, but no real clues yet as to whether it is direction sensitive. Could be the way to do things in future, especially for small models.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:32 AM
karlmax

yes you are right "Myth Busted" ;0)
found a short clip on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5fbuR5Cu_I
you are right that magnets can cause problems if they are large enough, but they look quite small on this photo.
But I do not know what type of magnet that is?
http://zepsus.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/SpringKit2.jpg
"direction sensitive" as north and south pole or?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:20 AM
mfr02

The magnet is probably a small neodymium button type.  They are amazingly powerful, and easily lost due to their habit of leaping at any flat ferrous metal surface and hiding.  
I was pondering the direction from the point of view of sliding the magnet from left to right or vice versa.  If the sensor was a pair, going one way could work the sensors in order to switch on, the other way to switch off (old model rail section signal control thinking), but more sensibly, a Hall device just needs a magnetic field to intersect it and it will switch - the act of switching could toggle a circuit, so one dab gives a pulse for on, another for off.
Mounting the magnet in the hollowed out end of a wine bottle cork could give a handy housing with the benefit for boaters of floating.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 AM
karlmax

This video might help?
It looks like it can be switched on and off from the same side. Is that good?

A floatingmagnetis a very good idea ;0)

http://vimeo.com/35335581#
Old 01-09-2013, 02:53 AM
mfr02

Yes, it doesn't care which way the pass is made, its one pass to toggle on, the next pass toggles off.  It might be a good idea to mount it under a clear panel to make it easier to find for switching, and to allow the LED indicator to be seen.
For something small like a Footy, as a follow-on, it just needs something clever and light to cover the battery charging connections.  I am assuming something like this because it is in the sail section.  My main interest in small boats is plastic kit conversions, and something like this could solve quite a few problems with reducing the need for access to the insides.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:07 PM
karlmax

I'll try to order a few of these switche.
I post a few pictures of my project when I install the switch.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:32 AM
karlmax

Hi,
I have received the three switch.
Sorry for the waiting time they have been on my desk for a month or two. I have had a lot to do.
Here is a picture of what I have received,it seems to be a really good quality.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35778.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1871788