Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Super Tucano

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Super Tucano

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 05:44 AM
Guijs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Super Tucano

Excellent video!

So you found out that the 15x12 prop is the best option for this engine?

I plan to use 3 blade but i`ll start with 2 blade until I get used to the plane.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:55 AM
ceecrb1

No, I didnt find it to be the best option... I found it to be an option that FITTED without hitting the ground so I have kept with it!!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:41 AM
Guijs

But did you find it better than 15x8 that is recommended by DLE for this engine?

I am considering 3 blade 14x9. I have found good results with this web calculator: http://personal.osi.hu/fuzesisz/strc_eng/index.htm

The prop is this one: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRF49&P=0

Static thrust = 186.59 oz = 5.29 kg
Perimeter speed = 167.48 m/s
Required engine power = 2.397 HP
Estimated flying speed = 76.7 mph = 66.6 Knots
Old 10-12-2012, 01:16 PM
rlbomber

It seems that my wheel inserts will not fit into the opening even after they get trimmed down.  Did anyone here have this same problem and have to trim the opening a little larger?

Otherwise, I may have the wrong wheel inserts in the package.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:47 AM
ceecrb1

Can you be a little clearer as to the exact problem? not really sure from your email and here if you mean the nose wheel, wing wheels..... or if your talking about the plastic former that goes inside the wheel or the wooden mounting blocks.....

These are custom addons, they will (and mine did) need a little modification and work to make them fit... tbh it wasnt anything that made me stop and think too much..

Hope this photo can clear things up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur51994.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1810695  
Old 10-13-2012, 03:42 AM
rlbomber

I'll see if I can take pictures later and post them here so that you can see my dilemma.  It seems that the inner part of the plastic inserts will not fit into the wing openings.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:33 AM
rlbomber

Got them in but they didn't go easy.  It seems that they were a little deformed.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:20 AM
rlbomber

Where did you guys install the ignition module?  I'm thinking about putting it right behind the fuel tank and running the cables along the side of the tank.  I was thinking about making another opening in the firewall to allow the cables to come out.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:40 AM
Krasherjack

Iwasa,
I have an ASP 90 in mine, Nice fit in the cowl..I'm not worried if it is on the slow side, as I have other fast propjets...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53134.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1852346   Click image for larger version

Name:	So43069.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1852347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92725.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1852348  
Old 03-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Guijs

Have you decided about your ignition placement?

I did exactly what you said. My IE is behind the fuel tank, with the cable running on the side wall and I have made another opening at the side of the firewall.

But I didn't turned to engine on yet. S oI don't know If i'll have any interference issues.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:08 AM
rlbomber

Guijs,  I ended up placing the Ignition Module behind the firewall along side the fuel tank. I cut a hole alongside the engine mount for the spark plug and the magneto wire to come from. 

A couple of other mods, I used the E-flite 90-120 electric retracts and used a servo for the front steering.  I did not use the wire strands but used an actual wire.

My first flight with the armament went beautiful, very little trim.  She lands so smooth, although fast.  I need to get the flaps adjusted so that I can use them on landings.

The only issue I have is that the armament is very flimsy and they are no broke.  I cannot find replacements for them since Seagull does not sell them separately.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Guijs

rlbomber, I think i'll do the same and put the IE right behind the firewall. This will give me more room for rx placement.I also have E-flite retracts and I'm using the rudder servo for the steering with a hard wire.What prop are you using? I'll start with APC 15x12 2 blade but I plan to use MA 14x9 3-blade and then I'll test some carbon 3-blade until I find the one with best performance.Too bad that seagull don't sell them separatedly. I wont use them in my first flights.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:24 PM
rlbomber

With the electronic ignition behind the firewall, I had to add abit of weight to the ass end of the plane. I put the weight in the compartment hatch towards the back, underside of the fuselage.

I find that the APC 15-8 works real well for the DLE 20 but let me know how that 3 blade prop works out. I wasn't comfortable running a wire from the rudder servo all the way up to the front gear. That's why I used a seperate servo and put it right were the front retract servo would have gone.

If you go to our clubs facebook page and scroll down, you will see my Tucano coming in for a landing in the snow.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pine-...7734047?ref=hl
Old 03-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Guijs

Nice landing!

I'll try to fit the rx or EI battery at that tail compartment to balance the weight. Are you using a servo for the choke?

I already have some props to try: 2 blade MA 15x8, 15x10, APC 15x12 and 3 blade MA 14x9. I`ll let you know wich one is the best.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:57 PM
rlbomber

For the choke, I just reach up under the cowling, I added a 2 inch screw to the choke arm and it's easy to reach.

Im telling you, this plane lands beautifully. On one of my flights, the throttle linkage came off and using my opto kill switch was able to line up the landing and kill the motor. She glided right in!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:22 AM
Krasherjack

Guijs,
Have you got some pics of your nose wheel steering setup?
Jack
ORIGINAL: Guijs

rlbomber, I think i'll do the same and put the IE right behind the firewall. This will give me more room for rx placement.I also have E-flite retracts and I'm using the rudder servo for the steering with a hard wire.What prop are you using? I'll start with APC 15x12 2 blade but I plan to use MA 14x9 3-blade and then I'll test some carbon 3-blade until I find the one with best performance.Too bad that seagull don't sell them separatedly. I wont use them in my first flights.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Guijs

Jack,

I don't have right now but I'll take some on the weekend.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Guijs

rlbomber, do you have pics of your steering servo setup? I didn't had time to maiden yet and this weekend I realised that using the rudder servo for the steering would not work.

So I have added a servo for the steering but I can't figure a way to set my futaba 8fga to "turn off" the servo when the gear is up. How are you doing this?

Krasherjack I did not took the pictures because it was not working as I suposed it would.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:55 AM
rlbomber

What retracts are you using? I have the E-flite retracts in and the front gear uses a setup where as when the gear is up, the stearing rod moves up and down the retract shaft. I will try to take a picture of the gear later and post it.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:58 AM
rlbomber

I must say, this plane flies beautifully with the DLE 20 motor.  It handles so well in the air and the landings are so easy because of the way she glides in.  The only downside to this plane is she comes in fast, not much to slow her down so I have to get the flaps setup so that I can use them to help slow her down.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:42 AM
Guijs

rlbomber, I also have eflite retracts. Thanks for reply but I do not need the pics anymore. I just realised how to do it. I will setup my radio futaba 8FGA to deactivate the steering servo when gear is up. I broke the retract shaft when turning the servo with gear up... Just bought the replacement in ebay.

I set my flaps for 15 and 45 degree and added servo signal delay from hobbyking, so it will move slowly.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Guijs

What control throws are you using? The manual says up/down for aileron and elevator and left/right for rudder. I assume it is wrong because I never saw this before. The correct would be low rate/high rate.

Some models use down aileron with different rate than up aileron, but they say left rudder 40mm and right rudder 20mm. 
Old 04-15-2013, 12:17 PM
rlbomber

What they are referring to in the manual is low / high rates. Elevator and aileron are set for 15mm low rate and 20mm high rate. The rudder is set for 25mm low rate and 40mm high rate.

I don't know about anyone else, but this plane takes a bit to get off the runway, it literally floats off the ground but once she's in the air, my god she is fast!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Guijs

Check the position of your nose wheel. If the nose is too low it will be hard for the plane to takeoff. In other hand, it will be easier to stop when landing.

I plan to add brakes in the future and also a nose gear door with sequencer.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:27 PM
rlbomber

It's not hard to take off it's just that it takes time to build up the speed. I had the Seagull Dewotine with the same DLE20 and the plane would lift off the ground in 20 feet.

It looks like it needs more runway due to the small wings compared to the plane size.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.