Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:57 PM
mogman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

That's what I did with my 40%. Took the total distance and 28% of that...flies very nicely....even Bill says so and he saw it at Monster Planes...lol

Cheers,
Dave
W/B #180
Old 04-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Dash7ATP

Thanks, Dave,

At 25% using that technique, I appear to be aft of desired CGby almost an inch. I'll see what it looks like at 28%. Ihate to add more wieght, but it's absolutely necessary.

Joe

Let's try to upload a photo again...........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12914.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1871068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81220.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1871069  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:48 PM
rccrasher65
My Feedback: (35)

Lookin good Joe, very sharp bird.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:30 AM
shaked israel

Shaked she looks really nice. 

Did you glass the aileron's before adding the corrugation strips? It looks like you may have but hard to tell. 

Have fun with the covering, paint and details. 
Anthony 

Did you glass the aileron's before adding the corrugation strips? It looks like you may have but hard to tell. 
Anthony 

hi anthony
i did not glass the ailron's befor addingthe corrugation strips, i just glue them and after that i make finish with epoxy rezin two times and buffed the aileron 
Old 04-13-2013, 12:30 AM
Errol Levin

Hi Shaked

My compliments on some awesome building of the Waco. I am building a Barth 25% Waco. Had a look at a number of your YouTube videos. Liked the one of the Spitfire in the colors of the 1948 war of independence. Very nice. Good to see there is a active r/c community in Eretz Yisrael.

Errol. #204
Old 04-13-2013, 03:56 AM
Dash7ATP

I appears that RCU has their photo problem fixed. If you are interested is seeing my post on the dummy Jacobs engine, go back a page to post 16095, The parts made by Rich are as good or better than any commercial ones I have seen.  If you talk nice to him, he just might make up a set of castings for you. 
I did provide a link to the forum he is on.

Joe
Old 04-14-2013, 09:56 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi Guys,
I am doing the final assembly on my Waco. I hope to have it finished up in about a week.
Later!!
Anthony

Name:	Zx70060.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1871923  
Old 04-14-2013, 11:06 AM
rccrasher65
My Feedback: (35)

Looking good Anthony, sweet!!!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:06 AM
Dash7ATP

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

Hi Guys,
I am doing the final assembly on my Waco. I hope to have it finished up in about a week.
Later!!
Anthony

It's Big! What kit?

Looking good!

Old 04-14-2013, 01:07 PM
mogman

That's not big!...lol

Looking really beautiful Anthony.

Cheers,
Dave.
W/B #180
Old 04-14-2013, 03:22 PM
hopkimf
My Feedback: (56)

Good looking plane Anthony. If I put one of mine on dining room table, she would run me off.

I took off two months while in AZ. Just finishing wings on Barth 1/3.

Looking for a suggestion from anyone on N struts and cabane struts for Barth design. I'm not there yet, but Barth recommends bottom wing incidence at zero degrees and top wing at zero to minus two degrees. In the 8 page manual I have, he suggests setting it up for the correct incidence and dihedral before finish build of struts. Set it right, lock in those dimensions and screw it together. I would prefer some kind of threaded adjustment to tweak it a bit. Have not seen any adjustable devices but if anyone knows of a source or a neat idea on how to do it, I would appreciate it.

Another question: I used the guys here to recommend aluminum struts for my 1/4 Pepino Waco. I think they came from Glen Torrence. Worked out well. Wondering if there is a source for 1/3 struts as well.

Thanks

Mike Hopkins Waco # 132
Old 04-14-2013, 04:33 PM
WacoNut

Dash,
It's a 33% AMR Waco. I crashed it last spring and I had to build a new fuselage and repair all 4 wing panels. Very expensive crash, time and money. I have been working relentlessly on this thing since Christams. Mogman has a 40% so as he said not Big.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 04-14-2013, 04:34 PM
WacoNut

Mike,
Glenn is selling his strut material again. He has larger material you may want to check with him. I went the easy way out on my 1/3 and used the stock wood struts.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 04-14-2013, 06:36 PM
WacoNut

Getting closer.
Next weekend should be doable to have it finished.
Later!!
Anthony

Name:	Da83536.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1872175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86157.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1872176  
Old 04-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: hopkimf

Good looking plane Anthony. If I put one of mine on dining room table, she would run me off.

I took off two months while in AZ. Just finishing wings on Barth 1/3.

Looking for a suggestion from anyone on N struts and cabane struts for Barth design. I'm not there yet, but Barth recommends bottom wing incidence at zero degrees and top wing at zero to minus two degrees. In the 8 page manual I have, he suggests setting it up for the correct incidence and dihedral before finish build of struts. Set it right, lock in those dimensions and screw it together. I would prefer some kind of threaded adjustment to tweak it a bit. Have not seen any adjustable devices but if anyone knows of a source or a neat idea on how to do it, I would appreciate it.

Another question: I used the guys here to recommend aluminum struts for my 1/4 Pepino Waco. I think they came from Glen Torrence. Worked out well. Wondering if there is a source for 1/3 struts as well.

Thanks

Mike Hopkins Waco # 132
Go back and look at how I did my Cabane Struts. They are adjustable and look much better than anything else I've seen.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 04-15-2013, 03:01 AM
WacoDream

Looking for 1/5 scale heat louver die or source for part. Any leads greatly appreciated : )

Name:	Xv63434.gif
Views:	43
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	1872327  
Old 04-15-2013, 03:22 AM
hopkimf

Thanks Stickbuilder. I'll do that.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:24 AM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Mike,

I've got the newer version of the Barth third scale and finished the N-struts a month ago. There isn't any adjustability in the upper and lower wing center sections, you have to get them correct the first time. It isn't all that difficult. Peter's instructions are pretty good, you can either silver solder the connectors on the cabana structure or use JB Weld. His N-struts have adjustably in them. His method worked out pretty good for me. If you have questions when you get that far, let me know.

Chuck
Old 04-15-2013, 06:54 AM
lovehydro

Is it possible to get one made on a T-shirt with a pocket? or better yet with a coller and pocket.
Thanks,
lovehydro
Old 04-15-2013, 06:56 AM
lovehydro

I own a Barth 1/3 scale WACO, powered by a MOKI 250. Please add me to you Waco brotherhood.
Thanks
lovehydro
Old 04-15-2013, 04:40 PM
WacoNut

ORIGINAL: lovehydro

I own a Barth 1/3 scale WACO, powered by a MOKI 250. Please add me to you Waco brotherhood.
Thanks
lovehydro

Post a few pics of your Barth, I would love to have a Moki for mine. I was offered enough for my plane to buy a new kit and Moki but I can't stand the thought of building this thing 3 times[X(]

Later!!
Anthony
Old 04-16-2013, 02:09 AM
FMBB

Hi Mike,

just have a look to the strut design, they are in a certain length adjustable. They have threaded devices built in to adjust the AOA but this can obviously only be done within a small area. The wing center section will not follow such an adjustment as the center strut end devices are silver soldered or glued into their position. No idea yet how to make these also adjustable ( this was not necessary yet). It could be done by changing the struts completely using a threaded wire for the struts (should be of an equivalent strength to the piano wire currently used for the struts) and the brass end devices than should be threaded too, so you would be able to adjust by turning the brass ends up or down. May be you will not need to change the whole struts but just add a threaded end to the current struts. Shorten the current length and silver solder !!! a threaded end to the piano wire using a tube which will be placed over the joint adding some additional strength. This will not be seen afterwards as the strut will be anyway covered by wood to bring it to its aerodynamically shape.

Peter
Brother #175
Old 04-16-2013, 07:03 AM
hopkimf

Peter. Thanks for your comments. Very well designed kit. Goes together nicely. Sorry I have not studied fuselage yet, but If I understand your comments, there is no adjustment for upper wing center section and plans call for zero to two degrees negative incidence. In effect it is zero at center with a two degree washout at the struts. Had a note from Stickman to look at one of his posts for an adjustment. Have not found it yet.

I have wings completed and just starting on rudder/elevator. Maybe I can go ahead and build per plan. One issue is that it's an old kit with a 7 page instruction manual. I have a little trouble following it. Included is a one page detail of cross sections. Unfortunately it's blurred. Is there any way to purchase a more complete set of instructions for this old kit? Or maybe for a newer kit if the details are the same?

Another question on hinges. I went with Robart 3/16 hinge pins for ailerons. Now I'm started on elevator/rudder and I'm looking at (trying to with my one page blurred detail sheet) the bearing complexity. Will the Robart hinge pins work there as well? Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Mike Hopkins

Waco Brotherhood #132
Old 04-16-2013, 09:44 AM
FMBB

Hi Mike,

the upper wing center is of course during assembling process adjustable, but do to the fact that the brass parts as connecting devices between upper wing center section and strut are soldered or glued in place you will not be able to adjust the AoA after having placed the brass connections. The wing struts are different, they are even after having finished their assembly still by a certain amount adjustable. Of course center wing AoA and outer wing panel AoA should be the same.
For the latest building instructions please refer to (https://www.dropbox.com/s/jsxzex50x4...20customer.pdf), these are the instructions for the latest version but outer strut assembly did not change much and might give you some hints how to do the assy.

As far as the hinges are concerned you may of course use what you are happy with but you will loose scale appearance as the hinges which are with the kit are close to scale. Specially the elevator one the full scale has only two hing points one on the outer side and the second is in the fuselage below the vertical stab..

Peter
Brother #170
Old 04-16-2013, 11:28 AM
hopkimf

Peter,

Looked over fuselage drawings and now understand. The soldered on parts at top of cabane struts allow movement for setting the incidence. likewise with N struts. But once done it isn't adjustable. I need to give it some thought. Thanks for source of building instructions.

Mike Hopkins Brotherhood #132

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.