Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Tower Engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 04:18 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tower Engines

Tower Engines

Does Tower Hobbies still distribute the Tower 61 an Tower 75 engine? It appears that "Temporarily Unavailable" on almost everything for the two engines might indicate that the engine line is being discontinued.

Bill
Old 04-13-2013, 04:24 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Tower Engines

The Tower and Super Tiger engines and parts have been out of stock for a couple years. Doesn't look very promising
Old 04-13-2013, 05:24 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad with the Tower .75
Old 04-13-2013, 05:25 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Tower 75 was one of the all time great engines
Old 04-14-2013, 04:10 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The .75 was the best kept secret in rc. It's to bad it did not have a real distributer to market it. In my opinion GP only cares about OS sales. I also own and fly several Lg Super Tigres, that you cannot get any spare parts for, and these engines are still being sold my GP. I wish GP would sell off these brands to someone who actually cared about them.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:40 PM
BillS

The Tower and Super Tiger engines and parts have been out of stock for a couple years. Doesn't look very promising

Thanks for the information about Tower engines. It tells me to take better care of my Tower 75.

Bill
Old 04-14-2013, 08:16 PM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who made them? My #1 suspect would be Sanye (who makes ASP, Magnum, Evolution, etc.).

Iskandar
Old 04-15-2013, 10:38 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be more inclined to think that OS put pressure on GP to discontinue their engines then the other way around. As to Super Tigre I have to agree. Their 51 C/L engine is a mainstay and has not been available for over 2 years. Temporarily unavailable is not really an accurate assessment of their commitment to supplying goods to the modeling public.

Dennis
Old 04-15-2013, 12:20 PM
AwwNaww

I was under the impression that the tower engines were GMS and GMS got more involved in other new, offerings. I think that, at least this time, it wasn't a dastardly plot by OS.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: AwwNaww

I was under the impression that the tower engines were GMS and GMS got more involved in other new, offerings. I think that, at least this time, it wasn't a dastardly plot by OS.

So what happens to the ST tooling? Did the Chinese dump them?
Old 04-15-2013, 01:10 PM
AwwNaww

I have no idea what is going on with ST. I hope that they are not dead. The economy/politics has not been good for glow in general. I am afraid that we may lose several vendors. I would hate to see Enya go, I really like them and they do a good job delivering via internet sales. Not all of my sanye experiences are positive, I like alternatives.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:52 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

I pretty sure Tower Engines, GMS engines and ASP engines are made by Sanye.  Part of the problem is the Chinese government expectations and the profitability year to year in the plant.  That is they tend to dump the line if they do not make money in one year. 

While the Super Tigre is made in China, it is said that the entire factory was moved from Italy to China (and could well be in the Sanye plant).  But that the Super Tiger is still made to the Italian specifications.

ASP/Magnum are a separate issue.  And as long as Hobby People keep selling the Maggies, things will stay available spares wise.

MECOA has captured several brand names but who knows where they are manufactured.  Could be assembled in the US but most probably somewhere in China.

As long as they run pretty good, I do not care where they come from.  Beauty is in performance.  Nice to look good but they gotta run too.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:17 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

The Tower 75 is one of my all time favorite engines. I have collected about 6 or 7 of them from the classifieds and at swap meets to make sure I have parts if I need them. Each one starts on the first flip and turns a 13 X 7 with authority. Such a shame they have disappeared. For smaller planes, the 46 is a screamer too.