Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Old 04-12-2013, 11:08 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

Istarted construction a couple of days ago and got the lower wing completed. It looks great.
The triangle joiner piece was not thick enough and left a large gap between the the bottom of the box in the wing and the bottom of the joiner (triangle). So, I epoxied a tongue depressor to the bottom of the joiner and it filled the gap perfectly. Imixed and spread 30 min. epoxy inside the joiner box and all surfaces of the joiner plus the inside rib of each wing half. Ithen used masking tape to hold it together during cure as instructed. It worked out fine with very little squeeze-out to wipe away. The 1" wooden dowl (anti-rotation pin)fit perfectly.

I want to continue building but, other issues have taken priority for the time being. I have an SPA contest on the last weekend of this month at my home club and my SPA bird is not flying like it should. It's new and Idon't have all of the bugs worked out of it yet. Ihave also changed my brand of radio gear from Spektrum to Hitec Aurora 9 and there's a learning curve I'm wrestling with.
I flew it today and found a couple issues that need correction but, Ineed to fly it more and practice the sequence. The planes not ready and neither am I but, I hope to be ready when the contest rolls around. After this contest I can relax a bit and re-start the Ulitmate build.

RJ
Old 04-16-2013, 12:29 AM
rowdyjoe

....continuing the build.
Building out of manual sequence ....Imounted the gear and wheels on the fuselage today and mounted the engine and the elevator and rudder servos. I like to get them standing on their own as soon as Ican. It makes it easier to move around on the bench without bothering with a stand. Ialso installed the cabane struts after a bit of thinking and wrestling. Ihave wide hands and it was a tight fit to get those little bolts in the holes. A pair of forceps helped a lot.
Next will be the horzontal and vertical stabs and then the elevators and rudder. I'll also install the innards before Ibuild and install the upper wing. I don't have the room in my build space to maneuver this size plane with the wings attached. Once out in the garage it won't be a problem.
It's looking more like an airplane everyday and Icatch myself wanting to hurry through it. I've successfully fought off that temptation for now.
Oh yeah, Ifound that Ihave a pilot that's the perfect size for this bird. He's one of those stiff looking busts with a blank stare. Ithink I'll try to add some character to his face before installation. Maybe a handlebar mustache, bushy eyebrows, 5 o'clock shadow, and long side burns ???? ....or maybe not.
I really like the way the wing struts attach with the thumb screws. They will make field assembly much easier.

I LIKEit !

RJ
Old 04-16-2013, 05:19 AM
iflywhenican
My Feedback: (1)

A word of warning RJ...follow the instructions to the letter when assembling the upper wing halves. Make sure that you mount the wing as you would if you were going to fly her while the glue is still wet. I filed the wood dowels for the wing mounts to the trash can and used carbon fiber instead.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 PM
rowdyjoe

What's the advantage of mounting it while the gule is wet? Is there a problem with alignment otherwise?

I haven't been able to find carbon fiber dowl in the right diameter yet. I'm not a 3D flyer and probably never will be. I don't plan on real snappy or abrupt maneuvers either so, I'll probably stick with the wooden dowls provided. I'll use this bird in IMAC competition in the Basic class. One day Imay be good enough to try Sportsman class but, until then I'll be struggeling with the basic routine.
I am thinking seriously about adding a smoke system though. All biplanes need to smoke. Nothing looks better than a big biplane trailing billowing white smoke.

Ooops, almost forgot the update:
The rudder and elevators are installed and hooked up to the servos. All are aligned with DR&Expo set.
The flying wires on vetical and horizontal stabs are attached but, still need to level her out and make sure all surfaces are in correct alignment. Ilike the method used for the wires. It's very simple.
The throttle servo is mounted and linkage connected. I've set a throttle curve but, will have to fly her to see if Ilike it.
I still have plenty of work to do but, she's coming along nicely.

RJ
Old 04-19-2013, 04:25 AM
iflywhenican

"What's the advantage of mounting it while the gule is wet? Is there a problem with alignment otherwise?"

RJ, refer to page 13 and 14 of the construction manual. It is to eliminate any deviation in alignment. The use of the supplied dowels will be fine, I am one to "overstrengthen" in some areas.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:05 PM
rowdyjoe

I thought it had something to do with that. No problem. I used to write instructions like this for a living but, I'm not noted for following instructions. I'll be sure to do it when Iassemble the top wing.

Question: I installed the flying wires on the tail last night but, could not find any mention of the chrome colored "discs" (locking devices) that, I assume, go on the mounting posts (???). Am Iright? If so, do they attach after or before you thread the wire through the mounting stud? After seems to be applying pressure on the installed wire and before seems to be a very tricky proposition.

RJ
Old 04-20-2013, 05:04 AM
iflywhenican

The "locking devices" are small steel balls that are held in place by set screws. Refer to page 19 and 20 of your manual for detailed info. Be sure to use the balls or you will cause the wires to be cut.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:02 AM
rowdyjoe

ORIGINAL: iflywhenican

The "locking devices" are small steel balls that are held in place by set screws. Refer to page 19 and 20 of your manual for detailed info. Be sure to use the balls or you will cause the wires to be cut.
You're right but, I was asking about the disc shaped (round and cupped) chromed keepers that appear to be "locking devices" for the attachment pins. I think they must go on before the wire gets threaded into the pin on the bottom side???

RJ

Old 04-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes. You have to press the washer onto the esposed post after pushing the post through the hole. I used a 1/4" hex socket driver to push the keeper washer on tight with a 2# lead weight in my palm to press down on the post from the other side.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:03 PM
rowdyjoe

Thanks Charlie.

RJ
Old 04-29-2013, 10:25 AM
rowdyjoe

Update:

I haven't worked on the Ultimate for a few days. I've been trying to get my new Intruder trimmed out for the SPA contest this past weekend. However, I damaged my transmitter last Thursday and sent it in for repair and it won't be back for a couple of weeks (Ihope less).
In the meantime, I wrecked my primary airplane transport vehicle (my pick-up) last Friday afternoon and have nothing that will haul them. So, I missed the contest and am waiting to hear from the appraiser about my PATV (primary airplane transport vehicle) totaled or repairable. It's 10 yrs old
I've been so bummed out about these two recent events that Ican't get motivated to work on the Ulitimate. She's still about 3/4 finished waiting for me to run the plumping for the fuel tank, install the remainder of the electrics, and build the upper wing.

By the way, the stock tires on this bird don't seem to be very durable. What have you guys used for replacements? Hobby King sells some nice rubber wheels with solid polished aluminum hubs that would look very nice but, I'm wondering if they would be too wide for the wheel pants?

RJ
Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 AM
69 roadrunner

Sorry about your luck i used stock tires just upgraded landing gear. Been flying it for about 5 yrs on same tires should be replaced but will fly one more year on them Steve
Old 04-30-2013, 06:27 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm wondering if anyone has used an OS 1.60 Gemini on this plane? I haven't read thru the whole thread, wow, 276 pages, been going for quite awhile. I did a search of the thread and didn't find any mention of it.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:38 AM
rowdyjoe

I believe there are several folks powering this plane with large 4 strokes. Check it out on YouTube and I think you'll find a couple of vidoes. Remember, this plane will weigh in around 14 to 15 lbs rtf so, power it accordingly.
Many folks have chosen to go with a gas engine around 40 to 50cc (4 to 5.5hp) and they fly extremely well from what I've seen. Ihave mounted a 52cc (4.3hp)engine on mine and expect great performance ...maybe not 3D but, plenty for my purpose.

RJ
Old 04-30-2013, 09:21 AM
PropsnWings

The plane was part of the 1.60 OS FX series...but many felt it underpowered. Many have went with the DA 50. 

I have the 1.60FX  and the DA50 but have decided to go with the DA, as will be more economical to operate. 

Old 04-30-2013, 04:41 PM
Uncas

I use a DA-50. The huge wing area and relatively light weight make a 50cc or so engine a nice combination.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 PM
mstcitabria73

rowdyjoe 3Dshouldn't be a problem with a 52cc, my DLE 55cc 5.5 hp.with a Vess 23/10 prop produces more than enough power for this bipe, this isone real fine flying machine....
Old 04-30-2013, 05:25 PM
rowdyjoe

OK but, I'm not a 3D pilot. I'm still trying to master 2D.
I'm an IMACsort of guy and like my maneuvers slow and tame.

RJ
Old 05-31-2013, 10:33 AM
J.V.
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just maiden my Ultimate last weekend after buying it 7/8 years ago, cant remember how long. Have a Brillelli 50gt in it with Hitec digitalis all the way around. Maiden was uneventful, just a click or two of aileron and a few of up elevator and hands off from there. Was pretty concerned about landing with the way the main gear flex, but they did O.K. Was worried about a prop strike because our field is a little bumpy. No need to have worried because this think slows down so nice that the landing simple. I did buy new gear from Tom at TNT, but didn't put them on before the maiden. Knowing what I know now I would probably now have bought them, but after plunking dow 75 bucks for aluminum I will replace the stock ones before the next flight. I did get three flights on the Ultimate, even some mild hovering, just getting a feel for her before putting it through it paces. This weekend's weather looks pretty terrible, but looking forwarded to see what she can do.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:01 PM
rowdyjoe

Congratulations on the successful first flight and thanks for the report.
I had to interrupt my build to repair a set of wings for my Chipmunk. Seems like a lot of things have conspired to slow me down on the Ultimate. I'm not complaining though as it's given me a chance to think things through and do a better job.

RJ
Old 06-05-2013, 03:44 PM
J.V.
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a couple more flights on the Ultimate this week. Still letting the engine break in before getting to crazy. Maybe another gallon of ashless oil mix for break in. Hopefully tomorrow after work I can run the rest of the gas through it.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:15 PM
rowdyjoe

Thanks for update J.V. . Glad it's working out well for you. Keep posting as it gives me incentive to keep working on mine.

RJ
Old 06-14-2013, 11:12 PM
rowdyjoe

Sad to report the demise of my 30% Edge 540T today. The airframe is a total loss.
Coming out of a 2 turn spin there was no UP. The elevator died or something and I couldn't pull out. We have a heavily wooded thicket just east of the runway and it crashed through the canopy of trees and landed in one about 15 ft. up. The engine was on the ground but, I don't think the fall hurt it. We managed to get it down from the tree and recover all of the important bits. I don't know what caused the elevator to die and, looking at the wreckage, I doubt I'll be able to put my finger on it. Aileron and throttle were working fine but, no elevator at all.

Anyway, my point is that Inow have a choice of engines for the Ultimate and Ithink I'll remove the 52cc engine and install the DLE 55. The 52cc will then be installed on my latest acquisition .....an AT-6 Texan with 82" wing span (by Seagull). Don't know how many of the servos are salvagable yet but, I'll be testing them soon. Ihope all of the electrics are in good shape as the fall was broken somewhat by the trees.

RJ
Old 07-07-2013, 06:27 AM
2.4ghs
My Feedback: (15)

Hey guys I got a question , I just got one of these  GP Ultimate and they guy said if flew but I really don't see how. It has a ST2500 and I checked the balance and I had to and 32oz of weight to the nose, will this thing fly with a ST2500 at 15.5 lbs?? 

Old 07-07-2013, 06:40 AM
mstcitabria73

2 lbs. dead weight in the nose and a ST 2500 = marginal performance, just be sure to double check that CG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.