Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Is Hobbico dumping Super Tigre glow engines?

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Is Hobbico dumping Super Tigre glow engines?

Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Hobbico dumping Super Tigre glow engines?

I just received the new Tower Talk mailer from Tower Hobbies today, and I noticed that the new mailer only listed four models of Super Tigre glow engine. The GS-40, GS-45, the G2300, and the G3250 are the only four models in the new mailer.

By coincidence, a visit to Tower's website also shows these same four models as the only four in stock. All of the other models of airplane engine are listed as "Order Pending." If Tower (Hobbico) is ordering more, why aren't they showing up in a TowerTalk catalog that is valid through June 30th?

At the very least, this indicates that another prolonged period of unavailability for Super Tigre engines and parts should be expected. For Tower to not even list the products in the mailer at all, however, seems to indicate that something more serious may be happening. Even when Super Tigre engines and parts were back-ordered for long periods in years past, Tower Hobbies has still listed engines whether or not they were currently available.

With Hobbico no longer distributing GMS' own brand of engine, nor using them for Tower Hobbies brand engines any longer, does this signal the end for the Super Tigre line here in North America as well?

Has anybody else heard anything about this, or do you all just think it's another case of GMS switching over to making lawn furniture or bicycle rims for a few months while they waited for their last production run of Super Tigre engines to run out?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:03 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is Hobbico dumping Super Tigre glow engines?

It seems when the original maker goes off shore issues develop, when Irvine went to OS, they became a back burner project Irvine 53s back ordered lo martin
Old 04-16-2013, 01:32 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the rise in popularity of electric power, like it or not, I would imagine the market for glow engines is decaying. There may not be much push to resupply a large variety of brands if it is going to take a long time to move inventory.

I for one prefer glow engines, but small glow engines have been disappearing for a while now, and larger ones are probably not far behind.

Unfortunately.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:39 PM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

I agree that the market is decaying. Add electric as well as the new gas offerings and read the tea leaves. I love my glow engines and have a huge personal collection of them to last at least as long as I do and leave them to my son. Buy up as many glow engines as you want while you still can! I would love to be WRONG!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:55 PM
AMB

well we still have Fox their income supported by other projects PAW UK diesel main income automotive products martin
Old 04-16-2013, 02:25 PM
spaceworm

Could it be that the ST line of electric motors is too much competition for the more recently listed OS line of electric motors? So, lose the competition entirely?
Old 04-16-2013, 03:04 PM
AERORICH73

Ok fellows: It is encouraging to note you all are getting the message about the direction the market is moving. My view of the hobby is tainted as at the age of 78-9 have been watching the slide of the craftsmanship go from construction, to ARF's, foam, and away from engines. Just review what you see if getting the MA magazine. There is one big effort to cram the electric motors down our throats, and elsewhere. The main interest in the hobby today for all mfg's and suppliers is to keep their jobs not matter what they do to the originial intent of the hobby. The brain washing to the public that they do not have the time to spend building models any more while they do have time to do drugs, drink beer, and watch movies. I have come to the conclusion that most model publications are not even fit to put into outhouses. The only saving grace we have right now is to pick up as many model plans possible along with engines as you can afford, and begin to build your own kits. I have built a good supply of simple radio supplies to use, as well as past kits, and new engines. It may be something to consider in todays world.

[email protected]
Old 04-16-2013, 03:25 PM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

I have been collecting kits, plans, balsa wood and learning how to mix my own fuel. That way, I control my own destiny so to speak. I worry what will happen to our Hobby as the norm now is $50 for a indoor foamie. I'm not knocking the foamie, but what does that make an actual real balsa ( 40-60 sized) kit worth?
Old 04-16-2013, 04:19 PM
357ross

In my opinionn two things are driving away the glow engine; no place big enough to fly the bigger glow planes, but even more than that, the cost of the fuel, which has quadrupled the last few years. Now that small, powerful, cheap gas engines have come along, I don't see a very bright future for glow powered planes. Just a fact of life.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:03 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The main cause for the hobby to turn this way is also the main problem else where in the world..

MONEY.

large MFG here in the states hire many immigrants to work for them. They dont have to pay them as well or just minium wage and no health care or anything. So all the Hobby retailers and such also are on this MAKE MONEY Band Wagon. most of the retailers CEO's and bosses have retired and let younger guys/gals in there and they are not as much into the hobby as the older folks were. So All these foam planes make very large profits for the retailers. the high initial cost of a mold for a plane is quickly recovered with the high asking price for these foam planes. it cost very little to inject new foam in to the mold and make a new plane. lets say it cost 20 dollars to inject a plane counting all the labor and other items. they sell it for 150 dollars. they also sell replacement parts for twice the cost of a new plane but "you" think its cheap when you pay 50 doallrs for a new wing. it only cost them 5 dollars to make. look at TBM they used to be all gas planes. they are now full of UAV's and foam planes. they have one plane called the X-8 its 180 dollars. all you get is foam and a few fiberglass rods for the wing. its just like the dollar store foam gliders......

All of the retailers are seeing the amount of money to be made with these foam planes so why would they not stock them. when they sell out quickly and they order a larger amount and they sell out and so, while the OS 46 engine has been on the shelf for a month. the price of fuel has gone up also because of the foam planes people are not buying fuel in the amounts we were 5-10 years ago so they dont produce as much. They still want the same profit they had 5-10 years ago on the fuel so they charge more. Lol we dont buy as much fuel and so on.

one thing other than moeny is that I think most guys now are just lazy when it comes to flying. With electric you dont have drag a bunch of eq to the field, fuel the tank hook up the glow igniter, start the engine, disconect the igniter, fly then land repat till time to go home. so dont for the day you have to wipe the plane down. that cost you windex and paper towels (money)

Any this wasnt a rant just my opinion and view. I have been flying since I was seven back in 1978.

Just some humor for you guys my first electric plane was back in 1980 when I took a plane for a .049 that had around 300 sq in. kinda a small glider type plane like a HOB 2x6. I took a small electric drill and used the Maubacchi (sp) 550 motor, the battery pack and switch. lol it was heavy and only flew for three minutes and would get about 100 feet high.
now I like some of the foam planes and have some also as there are some good flying planes that couldnt be done in balsa.

Oh I was disappointed also with MA when it was all electric sad day like our country!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not doubt it. I think OS puts pressure on Hobbico for marketing engines that compete against them. I have several ST, and Tower engines and will never part with them.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:59 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know if this is related to Supertigers, but Hobbyparts lists 48 ASP motors (Magnum) .  Out of 48, only 5 are available.  They usually run out of the smaller motors when they put them on sale, and then get another order in, but????  Nitroplanes which is the same company has NO engines available.  Are we going extinct? Or is it an OS plot to take over the world?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 PM
aspeed

Double post
Old 04-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Sport_Pilot

but even more than that, the cost of the fuel, which has quadrupled the last few years
Mix your own. The ingrediants have not gone up, in fact nitro is down. The low demand has driven up the price of the premixed fuel..
Old 04-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Sport_Pilot

there are some good flying planes that couldnt be done in balsa.
Not true. At least not if you include some spruce and/or plywood.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: turbo.gst

I agree that the market is decaying. Add electric as well as the new gas offerings and read the tea leaves. I love my glow engines and have a huge personal collection of them to last at least as long as I do and leave them to my son. Buy up as many glow engines as you want while you still can! I would love to be WRONG!!!

I agree with turbo. Buy up all of my glow engines. Great prices, huge inventory, for a non dealer.

I can't deal with engines of any sort these days. But I lasted longer than I thought I would. I'm focusing on my electric models and only those that do not absolutely require a dedicated model flying field. In other words, fairly small electric powered craft.

The wife and I have agreed to do an inventory of our R/C gear and to eventually make the list available to anyone that might be interested in buying. It pains my heart to do so, but I don't seem to be making enough progress at selling things off to really plan on using my two car garage shop/storage area again.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-17-2013, 02:31 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: 357ross

In my opinionn two things are driving away the glow engine; no place big enough to fly the bigger glow planes, but even more than that, the cost of the fuel, which has quadrupled the last few years. Now that small, powerful, cheap gas engines have come along, I don't see a very bright future for glow powered planes. Just a fact of life.
Just curious - what exactly does a gallon of 10% RC sport fuel go for these days? I've not been in the country for some years now - back when I last bought fuel it was maybe $12-15 a gallon, sometimes less. Surely it isn't $50-60 now? The cheapest was when I could get it out of the back of the Fox van at the Nats.. I always stocked up then. Usually Missile Mist.

Iskandar
Old 04-17-2013, 02:59 AM
telejojo

15% is 15.00 at our field
Old 04-17-2013, 03:13 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: telejojo

15% is 15.00 at our field
OK, so maybe it's gone up a little, definitely not 4X! I was just looking on tower.com - case of four gallons of Cool Power 10% was $70, add in shipping and hazmat - say, $90 delivered, so a little over $20 a gallon. Quite a bit more than I was used to but not terrible..

Iskandar
Old 04-17-2013, 03:22 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

$32/gal for SIG 5% at my hobby shop. $34-38 for 20-30% car fuel at the same shop. I make my own 5% fuel for less than $8/gal and 20% car fuel for around $12/gal.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:38 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

$32/gal for SIG 5% at my hobby shop. $34-38 for 20-30% car fuel at the same shop. I make my own 5% fuel for less than $8/gal and 20% car fuel for around $12/gal.

You better get a different Lhs, because he is *^€£ing you bad. Here in WI 10% is always under $20 even at the Hobby Towns.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:48 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

If you go below the Mickey Mouse looking page you'll see the larger engines listed and shown "in stock"

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SM&C=GCG&V=SUP
Old 04-17-2013, 04:49 AM
aspeed

Anything over $20 a gallon for 10% is gouging.  At the Toledo show it went up a dollar this year to $13.  I don't even mix my own any more.  It costs more to drive to the field than to fly. I do keep away from the big .90 motors though.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:52 AM
AlmondRancher

Hobby People is having a six day sale (4/17 - 4/22). One gallon of PowerMaster 15% sport fuel for $9.99. But, it is limited to store sales and six gallons per customer.

- Allan B
Old 04-17-2013, 04:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

As Isaid before Iskandar, if you mix your own it will likely be cheaper than when you were here. Especially nitro. But mixed fuels have gone up due to low demand and higher hasmat fees.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.