Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Exo Terra build questions and comments

Old 03-31-2013, 01:14 AM
Salinas Hawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Exo Terra build questions and comments

Thanks for the tips about shocks and tires, BKoz559. I think my shocks are pretty good now, and only time will tell with the tires.

The Savox 1258TG is in the mail. I'm not a pro reviewer ofelectronics by a longshot, but I'll let ya'll knowhow it works out with the Leopard60A esc.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:58 PM
CarGuy7a

ORIGINAL: Salinas Hawk

Step 16: I watched the URC videos and Jang's older kit had 0.5mm spacers here, but my newer kit doesn't. ???
My kit had a revision for that step adding the washers you are referring to. What those spacers did was lower the height of the steering drag link so it wouldn't rub on the front drive cup (which mine still did even with the revision). I had to add even thicker washers in that area to get the drag link to clear the cup so keep an eye on that when you get it fully assembled.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Salinas Hawk

Thank you for that tip. Ill get some bigger spacers in there.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:55 AM
Salinas Hawk

Step17: the two 12mm screws should be 14mm. This was reported in a review by Big Squid and a URC build thread video, but...?

In the pics, you can see the 12mm screw that is too short, and the 14mm screw that I had to order. Oh well, any excuse to place an order. Haha. I got some other stuff to.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98137.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1872901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43629.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1872902  
Old 04-17-2013, 04:18 AM
Salinas Hawk

My bad as wookie racing orange turned into a pumpkin on me when I shot the ps52 gold aluminum over it. I shot about ten light coats of the ghiant orange, and let it dry overnight, but...

If you look at the orange in near the dummy motor you can see the difference; though the pic isn't very good.

What if I had done a final light coat of the Tamiya white protective spray over the orange before I took the tape off?
If the above idea is a good one, why even worry about shooting darker colors first?
Or what should I do next time?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14197.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	1872903  
Old 04-26-2013, 06:10 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just finished step 7. Check out how the axles are cocked upward. My bad. After looking at the instructions again I figured it out. The thingamajigs are on backwards. Tricky step 4, but in hindsight the directions are pretty clear.

The dogbones seem kinda short. I read something about the short dog bones should be replaced, or adding an o-ring... Don't remember exactly.

what the heck is a thingamajigs? Mine looks like that but I don't see anything set up wrong. What was backwards?
Old 04-28-2013, 07:25 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They are called steering knuckles. The directions on this kit suck. They don't show well, but each has a nut cup too keep the nut from turning on the steering arm. That cup has to be to the bottom.

I also don't like how they put the plastic parts in bags. The screw bags are lettered and used in order, you have to search all the numbered bags for plastic parts because there is no rime or reason as to how they are put in the bags. The front of the manual has pictures of what part is on what tree, which is nice, but it doesn't say what bag it is in.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:45 AM
Salinas Hawk

WellI boughtthe Leopard Combo. This is the 60a esc with a 9t, 4370 kv motor. It was only $60 for the combo, so I thought I'd try it out. I may end up putting it in something else. dunno.
Thoughts???

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.0.219.eEePyR&id=16743395544
well, the Leopard combo probably wasn't a good choice. It's way fast on 3s, but gets hot quick. I may try the Leopard combo in a Serpent 411 Sport.

For the EXO, How about a Tenshock sc411 and a Hobbywing 120 sct pro. I read that the sct pro was smoother than the 150a, but whatever... I'm just bashing on 3s and I'm more worried about heat. Would the 150a be better, or just overkill?

Old 05-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Salinas Hawk

If the SC 411, does a 13 tooth pinion with stock spur sound good?

Is it better to push the limits of the electronics with powerful 3s lipo and gearing, or buy powerful electronics and just cruise... Cruise really fast on 2s batteries. I'm just back in the hobby, so my questions may not even make sense.