Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

what plane to build around OS.10 engine?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

what plane to build around OS.10 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:43 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: what plane to build around OS.10 engine?

NH4CLO4 - rocket jockey eh?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 AM
iAlex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would scratchbuild a Chips. Avaliable from Model Airplane News plans service.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:26 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

ORIGINAL: fritzke Hobby King has a 42'' span stick kit that could fly with a .10 You could eliminate one rib bay at each tip if it seems a little big. [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__29648__Big_Stick_Laser_Cut_Balsa_Kit_1060mm_Kit_ .html]Hobbyking Mini Stick Laser Cut Kit 580mm (KIT)[/link]
That seems to be a good one, $29 US plus shipping puts it at about what other kits are going for. Wouldn't be hard to convert from electric to nitro. Keep it light by watching the covering and using light weight wheels and radio gear, one wouldn't have to reduce the wing bay; let it fly on its wing. Would even be a good plane for my unmuffled venerable lightweight OS Max10R/C as a mild aileron trainer / sport plane.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:48 AM
chadxp1
My Feedback: (2)

Now that is a plane I could work with. I like it. Is is still available? Guys, Im still looking. Got the cash just need a plane. It seems many of the planes I have looked atneed smaller engines or larger engines than the 0.10. Not as many to choose from.

Chad

ORIGINAL: nh4clo4

his was my all time favorite 10 size plane, it had a 37" wingspan, Engine was in the open and easy to work on, you could build it in a weekend, and have it ready to cover quickly.

It was in Model Airplane news
ED
Old 04-18-2013, 12:50 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

ORIGINAL: MJD

NH4CLO4 - rocket jockey eh?
used to be, Now just play with the planes. I like the username, it is the same on everything, rcg, rcu, etc..
Ed

I will se what I can find, what do you need for information?
ED

Old 04-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Dave Wave

ORIGINAL: skaliwag

I will have kits but not for another couple of weeks. Windows in its infinite wisdom decided I needed critical updates for W7 and crashed my main computer.
When I am able to get the cut files to Charlie there will be kits..... I could get you a drawing if you feel up to an olde fashion ''Scratch'' job.

Any chance of doing a "long" kit? I would be happy to pay the extra $$ to not have to scour the LHS for all the extra bits and you might be able to make some extra $$ as well.

Just a thought.

-Dave
Old 04-19-2013, 01:29 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: skaliwag

would you be interested in something like this?
Hey Skaliwag, I like the look of that myself..put a shout out when they get cut, I havent built anything for a good while...Rog
Old 04-19-2013, 06:29 PM
SBOT

I have been building alot of .10 size kits the last couple of years, and my favorite building and flying is the Chea Pass 10 Stick. It's a lazer cut kit that almost builds itself. I power mine with an Enya .09 and it is just a fantastic flyer. I leave the landing gear off and hand launch and slide it in on it's belly to land. I work in the oil field and I'm almost always out in the middle of nowhere. So I always take my 10 Stick with me. If you're looking for a .10 size plane the 10 Stick is hard to beat.

Oscar
Old 04-19-2013, 07:42 PM
skaliwag

Dave and Rog.. Hope to get the cut files to Charlie this week end. I could do long or short kits I suppose.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:16 PM
flyinrog

Thanks Skal..I dont need a long kit...just all the wood cut, or most of it anyway...Rog
Old 04-20-2013, 05:57 PM
skaliwag

Rog... I think that would be a Medium / Long kit them.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:08 PM
skaliwag

Dave & Rog... Postman brought me the Laser Cut sheets today. I will make a couple of kits in the morning and see how much they cost. There will be 5 Beta kits.
Dave... What do you use for pushrods?
Old 05-18-2013, 05:24 AM
Dave Wave

Me? Pushrods?

Whatever is light and easy to use. I have used the golden rods and steel wire in tubes in the past.

-Dave

Old 06-17-2013, 10:34 AM
skyraider71

Great thread. I have a new LA.10 and have been looking for options.
I framed up an HOB Decathelon and wasn't really happy with it.
I have the Chips plans but I'm saving that for a Norvel .15
The Chea Pass looks like a winner to me.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Flying-dog

I wish you success
Old 06-20-2013, 02:36 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Thanks Skal..I dont need a long kit...just all the wood cut, or most of it anyway...Rog
Hahahaha!...I may have been under the influence for this famous quote.....Rog
They ready Steve?
Old 06-20-2013, 03:52 PM
skaliwag

They sure are.. Do you need a short, medium or long. Domestic or International. With the International - Long kit, it is a long kit but there are no long pieces of wood. The long sticks are cut in half to meet postage restrictions and regs. I'll take my answer off the air.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:05 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: Dave Wave

Me? Pushrods?

Whatever is light and easy to use. I have used the golden rods and steel wire in tubes in the past.

-Dave

Either wire or bamboo skewers and wire...Rog
Old 06-22-2013, 07:08 AM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: SBOT

I have been building alot of .10 size kits the last couple of years, and my favorite building and flying is the Chea Pass 10 Stick. It's a lazer cut kit that almost builds itself. I power mine with an Enya .09 and it is just a fantastic flyer. I leave the landing gear off and hand launch and slide it in on it's belly to land. I work in the oil field and I'm almost always out in the middle of nowhere. So I always take my 10 Stick with me. If you're looking for a .10 size plane the 10 Stick is hard to beat.

Oscar
My dad has one of these with a Norvel .074, it's a really nice airplane. I'm looking for the right deal on one myself..
Old 06-22-2013, 08:44 AM
matadco

Don't know if anyone ever decided on a kit for an OS 10. I found a company Air Flair on the net. They have several of the smaller type. I ordered their Sun Dancer 10 which I intendd to electrify rather than nitro. The parts are pretty complete and the wings and tail feathers are pretty straight forward. However, I'm having problems with the fuse. It is framed up with 3/16 reinforcement in places. The wings bolt on rather than rubber band, which I like as I do not like to bother with rubber bands. One of the complaints I have with Goldburg models. Ol Carl sure liked the rubber bands. The prices of Air Fair kits seem reasonable and the quality of the wood is excellent. However, the Sundancer is not for the novice builder, expecially completing the fuse. I placed my order with Air Fair on Friday morning and had the kit at the front door Monday Afternoon, so service appears excellent. This is my first electric and I ordered all such from Hobby King. Being a poor boy, I had to go a cheep as possible. I'll report after the first flight.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:10 AM
GallopingGhostler

matadco, you must remember that many of Carl Goldberg's models were designed in an era that using rubber bands was acceptable. It allowed the wing to pop off in case of a crash. Back then, radios weren't as reliable as they are now. Usage of 27 MHz Citizen's band was prevalent unless one had at least a Ham Technician's radio operator's license. A CB operator on an adjacent frequency could jamb the signal causing loss of control and a crash. [X(]

On the later models and revisions, he went to bolt on, as with the Falcon III and its breakaway plywood bolt mount, to allow the wing to pop off without seriously damaging the fuselage mounting area. [8D]

Personally I still like Goldberg designs. Even though some are quite old, they were excellent fliers and are truly classics, still look appropriate for this day and age 50 years later.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:42 AM
matadco

George, I learned on a Goldburg Eagle back in 1979. Built it with apoxy istead of super glue, It was grossly over weight. I have built, flown and crashed every Goldberg model out, infact I still have an Eagle however I modified it to bolt on wings. I also have the Goldberg Cub (bolt on wings) and Sky Tiger (bolt on wings). Lost my Super Sport a couple years back when I ziged instead of Zaged. One of my favorate was the Chip Monk which I first built back in 1988, when it first came out. Was the first in Denver RC Eagles flying at Cherry Creek to have one. With all this back ground I agree with you about Carls models. They were the best however, that doesn't say I liked the rubber banded wings, even though I know the purpose of rubber bands. Strapping 6-8 rubber bands to use only one time was a pain, or at least I thought, er think it was er is! Good Luck.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:23 AM
GallopingGhostler

matadco, fortunately those rubber banded wing mounts nowadays can be replaced with bolt systems, which many have done. Some have gone the other way, preferring rubber banding. It's all about personal freedom. I look at it like we are only competing with ourselves, what others think matters little. If you like what you are doing and enjoying your planes, then that is all that matters.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Trisquire

ORIGINAL: matadco

.................Strapping 6-8 rubber bands to use only one time was a pain, or at least I thought, er think it was er is!
One time? You can reuse them you know.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:11 PM
GallopingGhostler

Trisquire, I've reused them, too. I think matadco might be talking about an additional layer of safety by using new rubber bands during a day's use with say a .40+ sized plane or competition plane. With those, there is a sufficient investment of both money and time that buying a new box every once and a while justifies the cost.

There's nothing more disconcerting than to watch your pride and joy become a lawn dart during a hard maneuver. [X(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.