Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Global JetClub Mig 15 arrives

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Global JetClub Mig 15 arrives

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:14 AM
kimhey

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Global JetClub Mig 15 arrives

Mick, I feel sorry for you loss..

Kim
Old 06-21-2012, 04:38 AM
voodoodb
My Feedback: (98)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mick, I feel your pain. I put mine in as well, but it was all my fault. Just got disoriented with it. Gotta get back on that bike and ride!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:54 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to dig up the old thread, but what is everyone's latest experience with this plane? How are the flying and landing characteristics?

Thanks in advance,
Old 12-29-2012, 11:23 PM
dubd

My buddy has one and he can't stop it from bouncing on landing. This is one of his better landings:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPboi-zGiTY[/youtube]
Old 12-30-2012, 12:02 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the post. Does he have any theories about the landing problems?
Old 12-30-2012, 12:57 AM
corndog2
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most Mig 15'S have a tendancy to bounce on landing
Old 12-30-2012, 01:25 AM
ceffi

Hi,
it has to do with the angle of attack on the ground, with length of the front LG strut.
Cut it a little bit and it will go better.
I think, the landingspeed in the video is to fast, use the speedbrakes, more flaps and the elevator reaction to hard.
You see it, the MiG is short for touchdown and after elevator useing the MiG climed up to 6-8ft.
I flew mine the most landings without bouncing.
If you fly on concret activate the gear brakes short before touchdown.

Christian
Old 12-30-2012, 06:08 AM
voodoodb

I know that BVM put out an addendum to lessen the flap angle to no more than 35 degrees to counteract the bouncing on landing. It also must land on the mains in slight nose high attitude. The ones that land great usually have speed brakes and flaps deployed on final.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

I don't see how less flap will help, it needs to be as slow as possible, with more drag, you can use more power on approach. But adding some tygon tube inside the main struts spring might help. I'm finally about to assemble the second kit I have and look forward to flying it. Will see how it handles on landing then.

Dave
Old 12-30-2012, 08:24 AM
voodoodb

Your right, however less flap causes less lift so when it bounces on the nose wheel or you increase angle of attack it doesn't want to climb and fly as much. Use speed brakes to slow it down and hold power up.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:25 PM
basea

Tomorrow Dave Wilshere of Motors and Rotors will fly the new lightweight version of the Global Jet Club Mig15 at one of our regular UK meetings. Fingers crossed it flies better than the prototype.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59677.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	1873287  
Old 04-18-2013, 02:19 PM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Guys,

I've got the BV MiG and someone instilled the fear of God in me about landing the plane in anything other than a fully stalled condition. I cut my flap down to 35 deg IAW BV's instruction (I never flew it at 45).

My technique is that I have the speed brakes on the 3-position switch (Aux 2) on my 12x. Switch full up is speed brakes in, switch middle is boards only, and switch full down in speed brakes out and ~40% wheel brakes. I fly up initial, drop the gear, T/O flap, and speed brakes. Approaching my perch point I select full flaps (35 deg as measured with an iPhone app), and go speed brakes plus that bit of wheel brakes.

I fly around the final turn a bit flatter than other planes, get it into ground effect and just start easing the elevator back with the wheels ~1" off the ground (decreasing to 1/2" once solidly established if I'm on my game) . I keep easing it back, back, back until the plane is simply done, stalls and touches on the mains. I hold whatever backstick I had, or actually increase it as the wheel brakes take effect and roll-out is quite short. In my mind, I think of the elevator stick being on a ratchet, once it's come back a 'click' it's locked and I don't release it. If the plane has a slight bounce, I hold the back stick, reset wings level, reset the pitch attitude and bring in a bit of power to control the descent. If you release, or drop, the back-stick pressure, it gets ugly in a hurry.

The 'problem' with the plane is that if you try to land too fast, your deck angle is lower. In the MiG that puts the nosegear lower than the mains and you actually touch that first which forces the mains down about the time the nose oleo is unloading and up you go. This issue is increased by the fact the plane sits at a positive deck angle, so when you get that little bounce, you're putting positive AOA on the plane which increases lift (assuming you're fast enough to fly and not stall the wing) and away she goes. If you shove in the power, it'll come in just about the time the plane has apexed and you're pointing back downhill to start the routine all over again.

I think the reason that BV recommended decreasing the flap angle from 45 to 35 is that flaps lower the deck angle for a relative A/S; meaning the nose is actually lower with more flap, that leads to the nose wheel low situation discussed above. By cutting that a bit, it allows the NW to be a little higher and provide more distance between it and the ground at touchdown. True, like Dave said, it makes controlling the speed a little harder, but it brings the nose up a touch.

My personal obsevation is that, as a whole, the jet community lands too dang fast. I know I have been guilty of it countless times and I've seen it at all the events I've been to. This is simply an airplane that doesn't tolerate that nearly as well as many others do. It's not a bad plane at all, it just demands that we have to be aware that landing speed is actually a critical component in this plane and something to pay attention to more than on your other jets. If you have time, take a look at BV's site under the hotshots section. There are some great photos of Jack Diaz's MiG in the landing attitude on there. Study those photos as pre-mission prep and shoot for that attitude at ~1" off the ground, picture the elevator stick coming back, back, back (it will be a fairly slow application of back-stick if done in a controlled manner). I fly that sequence out in my mind a few times before lanuching and that's helped me a bunch.

I hope this helps, I'm not trying to ignite a huge aerodynamics discussion, I was just an Economics major. The elevator-stick-on-a-ratchet mentality has helped me, but it won't work for all.

Dave
Old 04-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Dave Wilshere

I'm sure its going to be good, weight is nearly 4lb less than the first one I flew...will see soon
P-100RX JR XG-11.

Few pics

Name:	Ge95697.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1873379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16825.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1873380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12924.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1873381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18606.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1873382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41224.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1873383  
Old 04-18-2013, 04:18 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Hi I'm landing mine with no flaps on gliding mode with no problems the flaps make mine mig bounce bad .
Old 04-18-2013, 05:02 PM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

A champion flyer in OKC(Sean McMurtry) once told me to avoid bounce land on one of the mains. Not both at the same time, always worked for me. Here is my MIG-15 at Florida jets this year. FeiBao Jetcat P-120
Old 04-18-2013, 05:03 PM
ledd4u

Landing

Name:	Sq48133.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1873435  
Old 04-18-2013, 05:05 PM
ledd4u

Takeoff

Name:	Vt57015.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1873436  
Old 04-18-2013, 05:08 PM
ledd4u

Just recently added air rams to assist the gears in retracting. Other than that issue, it's a great jet. I think I have the original prototype from Fei-Bao.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

My BVM 15 never bounced...
Old 04-19-2013, 03:40 AM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Back in 1950, the VVS(Russian Air Force) confronted the MiG factorythat their MiG-15 bounced when landed heavily. MiG undertook several changes to the landing gear, shock absorbers, etc., but to no avail. Several experienced Russian test pilots then flew the MiG and concluded that bouncy landings were simply due to poor airmanship. The MiG-15 landing procedures were modified and no further problems were noted. Previous posters have described their successful landing procedures with their MiG-15 models and some of these can be witnessed on BVM's website.
Happy landings to all.
Art ARRO
Old 04-19-2013, 04:28 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: ozief16

Guys,

I've got the BV MiG and someone instilled the fear of God in me about landing the plane in anything other than a fully stalled condition. I cut my flap down to 35 deg IAW BV's instruction (I never flew it at 45).

My technique is that I have the speed brakes on the 3-position switch (Aux 2) on my 12x. Switch full up is speed brakes in, switch middle is boards only, and switch full down in speed brakes out and ~40% wheel brakes. I fly up initial, drop the gear, T/O flap, and speed brakes. Approaching my perch point I select full flaps (35 deg as measured with an iPhone app), and go speed brakes plus that bit of wheel brakes.

I fly around the final turn a bit flatter than other planes, get it into ground effect and just start easing the elevator back with the wheels ~1'' off the ground (decreasing to 1/2'' once solidly established if I'm on my game) . I keep easing it back, back, back until the plane is simply done, stalls and touches on the mains. I hold whatever backstick I had, or actually increase it as the wheel brakes take effect and roll-out is quite short. In my mind, I think of the elevator stick being on a ratchet, once it's come back a 'click' it's locked and I don't release it. If the plane has a slight bounce, I hold the back stick, reset wings level, reset the pitch attitude and bring in a bit of power to control the descent. If you release, or drop, the back-stick pressure, it gets ugly in a hurry.

The 'problem' with the plane is that if you try to land too fast, your deck angle is lower. In the MiG that puts the nosegear lower than the mains and you actually touch that first which forces the mains down about the time the nose oleo is unloading and up you go. This issue is increased by the fact the plane sits at a positive deck angle, so when you get that little bounce, you're putting positive AOA on the plane which increases lift (assuming you're fast enough to fly and not stall the wing) and away she goes. If you shove in the power, it'll come in just about the time the plane has apexed and you're pointing back downhill to start the routine all over again.

I think the reason that BV recommended decreasing the flap angle from 45 to 35 is that flaps lower the deck angle for a relative A/S; meaning the nose is actually lower with more flap, that leads to the nose wheel low situation discussed above. By cutting that a bit, it allows the NW to be a little higher and provide more distance between it and the ground at touchdown. True, like Dave said, it makes controlling the speed a little harder, but it brings the nose up a touch.

My personal obsevation is that, as a whole, the jet community lands too dang fast. I know I have been guilty of it countless times and I've seen it at all the events I've been to. This is simply an airplane that doesn't tolerate that nearly as well as many others do. It's not a bad plane at all, it just demands that we have to be aware that landing speed is actually a critical component in this plane and something to pay attention to more than on your other jets. If you have time, take a look at BV's site under the hotshots section. There are some great photos of Jack Diaz's MiG in the landing attitude on there. Study those photos as pre-mission prep and shoot for that attitude at ~1'' off the ground, picture the elevator stick coming back, back, back (it will be a fairly slow application of back-stick if done in a controlled manner). I fly that sequence out in my mind a few times before lanuching and that's helped me a bunch.

I hope this helps, I'm not trying to ignite a huge aerodynamics discussion, I was just an Economics major. The elevator-stick-on-a-ratchet mentality has helped me, but it won't work for all.

Dave
Dave,

Didn't I see the Mig at Sin City?

The BVM Mig 15 is one of my favorite all time jets. That same fear was instilled in me as well; and made for a VERY nervous first flight. I just held the Mig off the deck until IT was ready to land and I had no bounce. It was a rocket with a P-120 and silky smooth. At the time it was my pride and joy and I treated her well. I never experienced the death bounce (thank God), but always made it a point to just hold her off until it slowed enough to land with almost, if not all, full back stick.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:39 AM
tow

ORIGINAL: sysiek

Hi I'm landing mine with no flaps on gliding mode with no problems the flaps make mine mig bounce bad .
Several MiG-pilots tell they don`t use flaps on landings, - just the speed-brakes. Might be something to it I guess, although not very "scale" but keeps you from replacing the nose-gear ever so often........
Old 04-19-2013, 05:42 AM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

George,

That was my MiG at Sin City. She's in Ft Worth now heading for MS jets in two weeks. I'm excited to get out there and fly the heck out of it. With our 'shorter' runway (750') I always sweat the holding it off if I come in hot. I'm looking fwd to the nice FS runway in MS where I can refine the spot-landing technique.

Dave
Old 04-19-2013, 05:44 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

See you there Dave!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Dave Wilshere

Flown it...5 times today. GJC Mig 15....does not bounce. FULL flap landings, with and without Airbrake...NP.
Nice, groovy, smooth aeroplane-Winner. I really really like it a lot!
Will post more later, I'm just unloading....

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.