Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Need Tank Suggestions (On a Budget!)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Need Tank Suggestions (On a Budget!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:07 PM
White Tiger88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need Tank Suggestions (On a Budget!)

ORIGINAL: Ronan87

Since he is canadian, that $500 will be $700+ once shipping, taxes and duty is done.

ORIGINAL: heavyaslead

The AAF Museum has the Tamiya Sherman for 500USD and the Tamiya Tiger for 630USD

Give them my reference and they may take $5 off! Well, maybe I'm not that popular

There's no reason not to start with a great kit.
I worked it out more like around $800 lol

Old 04-16-2013, 09:34 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure much you have left over to spend on a board. A DBC3 will give you all the IR functionality of a Tamiya and allow you to use a hobby grade radio. Great sound can be added later by installing the Benedini. That is your cheapest route to go.(Without the Benedini)

Next would be the Clark, which is a few dollars more, but comes with good battle sounds, and OK engine sounds.

I supply the DBC3 and Freaky can supply the Clark. Both of us are located in Canada
Old 04-16-2013, 09:36 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So did you end up with a Tamiya Tiger.? If that is the case then you don't need any additional electronics
Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 PM
White Tiger88

Nope i ended up with this build, i think its pretty solid looking and i can keep upgrading it later on if need be.

Hull:AsiaTam lower hull with torsion bar suspension, Asiatam Upper hull with all metal working hatches
Barrel:Recoil, Aluminum barrel & Brass Muzzlebreak
Gear Box:Mato 3:1 brass gearboxes,
Tracks:Late AsiaTam steel tracks,
Road Wheels:Asiatam Late Metal Road Wheels
Turret:Stock Henglong (would replace this with a metal one)
Motors:Stock Mato
Board:Need to buy
Lights:is fiber optic MG\cannon has the high tension flag when firing.

I will most likely upgrade the Motors when i get some more cash but for now it will only be driving around my yard\house for a bit anyhow. But i did sell some more items today so i want a very good sound\control board...... Like i said i am getting aSpektrum DX5radio.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:00 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would use the DBC RC3 as Dan [YHR] has mentioned above. I don't know of any one that sells an all metal turret alone. You may need to keep an eye out on Ebay to locate that. The stock HK turret really isn't bad at all. i don't really see the need for an all metal one. But that's everyones own choice.  I have the DBC RC3 that Dan deals with with the Benedini sound board and I can tell you they work great.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:55 PM
White Tiger88

Im going to get a Clark i think since i have no board at all as things sit and want good sound!
Old 04-17-2013, 03:50 PM
White Tiger88

Well what is the easiest to install? I have no electronics in this thing and want to replace the motors.........
Old 04-17-2013, 03:55 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

The options are out there for electronics. You can hook up anything from the DBC RC3, to Clark, or Elmod, or even tamiya. They are all easy or difficult to install depending on your skill level...and how well you can follow instructions. There are plenty opf guys here who can lend a hand if you run into trouble. Just post up a question and you'll get some help. If you want a good radio and cheaper then the DX 5, go with the Aerosprot 5. It is  asolid radio and cheap. I like it alot more than my DX5.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:01 PM
White Tiger88

ORIGINAL: yellowshaker

The options are out there for electronics. You can hook up anything from the DBC RC3, to Clark, or Elmod, or even tamiya. They are all easy or difficult to install depending on your skill level...and how well you can follow instructions. There are plenty opf guys here who can lend a hand if you run into trouble. Just post up a question and you'll get some help. If you want a good radio and cheaper then the DX 5, go with the Aerosprot 5. It is asolid radio and cheap. I like it alot more than my DX5.
The Dx5 is free so i can't argue with the price on it! The only problem is i need my sound board,Speaker & Motor upgrades in a week....

Old 04-17-2013, 04:12 PM
yellowshaker

Free is good
Old 04-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You're diving right in head first aren't ya? :P

Clark's are the easiest if you're swapping straight from HL gear, if not you'll need to do a little soldering.

I fear you're going to get frustrated somewhere between your haste and requirement for a big heavy metal monster & a lesser degree of r/c tank knowhow, but that's what we're here for!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:15 PM
White Tiger88

lol oh i will go insane at some point don't worry....(Even more so) Problem is i am not sure what batteries and charger to get and since my brother is ordering some for his Rc truck (Which i plan to run over if he pissess me off) which ones off here do you guys recamend for a metal monster?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...l_brands_.html

Oh and i need a charger -_-

Edit:Forgot to mention anyone know a good place to look for commander figures to Stick in the Coupla? (I am trying to find an anime female one as well!)

ORIGINAL: Strato50

You're diving right in head first aren't ya? :P

Clark's are the easiest if you're swapping straight from HL gear, if not you'll need to do a little soldering.

I fear you're going to get frustrated somewhere between your haste and requirement for a big heavy metal monster & a lesser degree of r/c tank knowhow, but that's what we're here for!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:07 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: heavyaslead

The AAF Museum has the Tamiya Sherman for 500USD and the Tamiya Tiger for 630USD

Give them my reference and they may take $5 off! Well, maybe I'm not that popular

There's no reason not to start with a great kit.
I'd love you more if came more often...LOL. I will be your friend until we are old and senile. Then we will be new friends, everyday, over and over and over......

"...still your pal, Bob"
Old 04-18-2013, 09:30 PM
herlihy22
My Feedback: (2)

Just get a 2 cell (7.4 volt) 3000mah lipo battery. I would probably get a 25c or 30c output. The clark board will let you use lipo batteries and they are FAR better than other type of batteries. You will also need to get a lipo balance charger. Just get the cheapest one you can get. Also, never leave a lipo battery charging all alone at your house with no one there. They can explode although it is very rare. If thise happens it could start a fire if you are not there. They make a cheap bag to put the battery in while charging to protect against this if you want it.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:32 PM
herlihy22
My Feedback: (2)

Have fun!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:27 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I would just stick with NiMH batteries as they are far better than NiCads but not as unsafe as Lipos are.

~ Jeff
Old 04-20-2013, 08:32 PM
FreakyDude

Personally I agree with Jeff completely. Matter of fact I do NOT suggest Lipos for tanks at all. The extra run time is nice but when a 5300 mah will get you over 2 hours whay is there a problem in the first place?

Proffesionally as the distributor of Clark, No where does Clark Electronics say it is ok to run LIPO batteries with his boards. Lipos can burst amps way above the max ratings of a Clark board. That is what make lipos so good for airplanes and Cars, Tanks just don't need that power.
All your pull power should be coming from your gearbox not your battery.

ORIGINAL: Panther F

I would just stick with NiMH batteries as they are far better than NiCads but not as unsafe as Lipos are.

~ Jeff
Old 04-21-2013, 03:35 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: FreakyDude

Personally I agree with Jeff completely. Matter of fact I do NOT suggest Lipos for tanks at all. The extra run time is nice but when a 5300 mah will get you over 2 hours whay is there a problem in the first place?

Proffesionally as the distributor of Clark, No where does Clark Electronics say it is ok to run LIPO batteries with his boards. Lipos can burst amps way above the max ratings of a Clark board. That is what make lipos so good for airplanes and Cars, Tanks just don't need that power.

~ Jeff
The idea that LiPO's are cool with Clarks is from the clark site rating of 7.2-7.4v input, and 2S LiPO are ... 7.4~ ISH...

A fully charged lipo will be higher, and yea it's not worth it considering the advantages of Lipos (low weight & high power output) don't make much sense in RC tanks.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 AM
White Tiger88

Alright thanks for the help guys! Now to figure out how to get a good shaded white Finish that looks..well...Good! I will post pictures of my test Tiger when i have it ready. Have any of you guys used the MiG washes\pigments before i got the winter camo one but all it seems to do instead of shadeing a light white spray is well....smell terrible!

ORIGINAL: Strato50

ORIGINAL: FreakyDude

~ Jeff
The idea that LiPO's are cool with Clarks is from the clark site rating of 7.2-7.4v input, and 2S LiPO are ... 7.4~ ISH...

A fully charged lipo will be higher, and yea it's not worth it considering the advantages of Lipos (low weight & high power output) don't make much sense in RC tanks.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:35 AM
yellowshaker

For a winter white wash it is best to spray a base coat of whatever color the tank is, i.e. grey, or camo....or whatever, then clear coat, and then use AK fluid or hair spray over a the clear. Now spray a thinned mix of white over the tank in a random way. You can now wet the tank with a brush and beiong to perform wear areas of the whitewash...
Old 04-22-2013, 06:17 AM
Panther G

I second Yellowshakers opinion on the AK products. i have seen plenty of yellow's work and it is second to none. The products help make it that way for sure.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:56 AM
White Tiger88

Do you guys have examples of Well done white tanks or a tutorial?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Just do an image search...

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...d+german+tanks

... and a general search on how to.

~ Jeff
Old 04-22-2013, 02:05 PM
White Tiger88

Well damn i am stuck some what as it appears my airbrush is useless for this due to its large spray size -_-
Old 04-23-2013, 05:28 AM
ssrc30

You'll love the Tiger. I had a HL Tiger as my first tank and had no problems making it do pretty much anything I wanted it to do. If you want to boost your traction, pick up a roll of anti-slip tape and put some on your tracks. I am currently doing this with my ZTZ-99. It's a big job to get it done but the boost in traction is well worth the effort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.