Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

HobbyKing Orange DSM2 compatable receiver

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:37 PM
sitflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HobbyKing Orange DSM2 compatable receiver

Got one and replaced my AR6100 with it in a Great Planes Gee Bee profile with on OS .46sf.
had bound and tested the receiver with my DX7 on the bench. put receiver in an aluminum box and wrapped in lead flashing...
could not get signal failure on low power setting...
in plane everything worked just like the spektrum receiver...
flew 3D with plane for about 8 minutes...felt same as spektrum receiver...
took plane up over 3000 feet away.... no failsafe encountered... ROCK SOLID CONNECTION !!!!!!!
next day I ordered three more Orange receivers for 14.95 each !

Old 09-12-2010, 11:30 PM
HunkaJunk

Default RE: HobbyKing Orange DSM2 compatable receiver

Must be nice, I have one that is only good as a bench test RX due to problems, Oh well.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:44 AM
JIMF14D

You must have 1/2 scale plane or 5-5 vision! Why did you feel you needed the box and lead wrap?
Old 09-13-2010, 07:12 AM
davidgeorge212

ORIGINAL: HunkaJunk

Must be nice, I have one that is only good as a bench test RX due to problems, Oh well.
Ya I think I had one like yours. I bought one and the first thing I did was range test it. I couldnt get more than about 40 feet feet away before it lost signal. I dont even think I had the bind button pressed in either, it was on full range
Old 09-13-2010, 08:22 AM
sitflyer

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

You must have 1/2 scale plane or 5-5 vision! Why did you feel you needed the box and lead wrap?
The gee bee profile is 36" length with 44" wingspan. sound travels at 1125 fps so figuring distance is pretty easy.
as for the box and lead wrap I was trying to see if the signal could be blocked so I could verify if a remote receiver was actually working.
The remote receiver went through the series of flashes during binding but I haven't determined if it is functioning... the results were the same with
it plugged in and without it attached.
perhaps there is a better way to verify functionality of remote receiver(spektrum brand) ,with this unit.....

Old 09-16-2010, 11:56 PM
AndyW

ORIGINAL: davidgeorge212

ORIGINAL: HunkaJunk

Ya I think I had one like yours. I bought one and the first thing I did was range test it. I couldnt get more than about 40 feet feet away before it lost signal. I dont even think I had the bind button pressed in either, it was on full range

Chit, I got me four, still haven't tested them. I notice that the poster just joined RCU Sept 13th,,,,,,
Old 09-17-2010, 09:16 AM
sitflyer

actually I joined ( 6-26-09 ) just don't post much online.
my test receiver came from a lot of ten picked at random for testing...since I fly every day a fellow club member wanted my impression..
so far so good. have used this receiver for about two hours air time now flying 3D with my Gee Bee profile and not one glitch..
Hoping to hear from others about their experiences with this product . thats what were all here for right ?????
Old 09-17-2010, 09:31 AM
AndyW

Sorry, since I found out about WTC7, I've been a bit cynical. I'll be testing my own, one at a time on a LowStik that's been banged up good so no loss.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:48 AM
j10fighter

Most of the reviews on the Orange receivers seem to say that it is full range and not park flyer. Some people use it on gliders to fly at 3000 ft range. I bought it to replace a short-circuited AR6200 full range receiver on my E-flite T-34. Because the T-34 is fairly large, I typically fly it much further than park flyers.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:08 PM
AndyW

Well, here's my situation. Circumstances led me to fly at a local park, right on the edge of town, next to a nice lake. I'd been flying there for 10 years. This spring I went to fly my LowStik, a 1/2A version of the big Ugly Stik. First flight of the year, I didn't last more than 5 seconds in the air. Over she went into a dive I had no control over.

Next up was my MiniSport. SAME THING. Exactly the same heading on take-off and exactly the same result.

The LowStik was using a JR radio on channel 50. The MiniSport was a Futaba also on channel 50. So I went and got me a Spektrum 6 channel and a couple of AR6100E receivers. Not taking any chances, I flew the repaired LowStik at an isolated area and had no problems, I flew as high and as far as I could with the plane just a speck.

So I went back to my local park and this time, the flight lasted maybe 20 seconds but over she went and MORE repairs. What the,,,,,

My beloved flying site was now off limits. What changed? Not far away a new ambulance and EMS center opened up over the winter. I can only assume my interference came from there.

Since posting, I've flown both the AR6100E and the Orange compatible at a brand new site some 5 miles away. Absolutely no problems with any radio, any frequency, any Rx even the Orange from HobbyKing. The once again repaired LowStik has been sent nearly out of sight, far over the sod farm. No problems with any and all radios, channel 50, JR and Futaba, and Spektrum and HK Orange.

You are looking at one very happy camper. [8D]

And I must say, looking at the Orange Rx, the quality of manufacture is virtually flawless. As far as design, I have no idea but it certainly IS compatible.

BTW, it's not really orange, they're using a clear heatshrink now that lets you see the diodes flash and glow.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:44 AM
JIMF14D

When you ran your range check at the "bad" site every thing check ok? If your flight lasted only 5 seconds then you probably less than the range check distance and should have noticed something during the range check.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:10 AM
AndyW

Unfortunately, in all cases, range checks were done at home, out in the street. This was in attention to the equipment, not the flying site. It did take the third flight with the 2.4 for me to suspect site interference as the problem. All of this happened over a span of months as I was involved with palliative care for a brother who was dying of cancer.

But who would expect RF interference with 2.4 ? Has anyone else run into a similar problem?
Old 04-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Eyeguy

I have several of these receivers ( Hobby King DSM2 compatable - uncased ) and they all work great. Now I bought a few more ( at $7.95) and got them yesterday. All the new ones have the exact same problem : they seem to bind with the transmitter, but when the power is turned off and on again the connection is lost and you have to re-bind ! ! Essentially they are useless ! The latest batch must be defective - I see Hobby King has removed the "caseless" 6-channel version from its site and now only lists the "cased" version. Has anyone else noted this same problem ?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:38 PM
3D Romeo
My Feedback: (111)

Eyeguy,

I ran into the same problem with the recent $7.95 receivers in my last order. I never had any problem with these receivers in the past. So I ordered 8 of them in my last order. Every one of them binded fine, but once you turn off your transmitter they will lost their bind. So you'd have to bind them before each flight...Not gonna happen! I sent them all back for credit (which surprisingly didn't take that long). I'll be replacing them with the newer, less expensive, and supposedly better Orange receivers. I never had a problem with the $7.95 receivers before this. But they say that the older receivers only use one chip, where the newer Orange receivers use two. Supposedly making them better. I'll be happy if they are just as good as the older receiver. But if they are better it will just be a bonus, as far as I'm concerned.

Mark
Old 11-25-2011, 07:41 AM
jnuckols

Ihave three of these that Ibought in the Spring this year. Haven't had much time to use them, but have always had trouble getting them to bind to my DX5e. I'd have to try binding a few times before being successful. Would lose bind once in a while and need a couple of tries again to re-bind.

Dragged them out today to try again. Now I think it's a problem with too much signal at the receiver. Here's why. I got one of my receivers to bind after several tries. After binding Iturned off the receiver and the transmitter and removed the bind plug. Turned on the transmitter and then the receiver. Linked up after a couple seconds, but then lost link (Rx LEDturned back off). Turned receiver off. Put transmitter in low power mode and turned on receiver again. Linked up quicker. Released Tx trainer switch to return to full power. Lost link. Repeated that a few times with the same result consistently.

Anyone else think there might be a problem with the Orange Rx receiver front end sensitivity?

Jeff
Old 11-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Eyeguy

My receivers were sent back to HobbyKing and replaced - the the new ones work perfectly.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:05 AM
jnuckols

I have two more on order. Hopefully they'll be good. The three that I have now Igot in May and June, so I think it's too late to return them.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:24 AM
RonsHangar

I saw the HobbyKing Orange 9-Channel RX and thought the price was fantastic. I have not yet flown it, however. I bought it thinking I could use it in my new Hangar-9 33% Piper Pawnee. Then, I remember I have access to an X-Ray machine that is used on electronic circuit cards and components. I had the opportunity to see what the machine's capabilities were. The technician was willing to run the machine for this receiver and the images are just too good to even attempt to describe. ... I hope these images turn out on this post.

I will include them here. First You will see an overall image of the main RX board (Rcvr 5) with the layout of the two devices. Then there are two more images, one in infra-red and another in normal view. In some of these, you will see the micro-sized leads that connect from the SMT leads to the internal components on each device. Look closer at one of the chips (Rcvr 1) and you will notice very small particles that appear to be all the same size but alarmingly close to the soldered SMT leads.

In the Infra-red image, you will see 9 dots, some are solid where others look like "O". The "holes", if you will, are used to bound the chip to a heat sink that is hidden beneath the device. The "O" appearance indicates the absence of bonding. While this may not be a real concern, one can only think of the lack of quality that has gone into the manufacturing/inspection and quality control.

Having said the above, be sure to test all the "bargain" RXs and servos in a test-bed aircraft before trusting them to the prize machine!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83131.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	1873731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48288.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1,007.6 KB
ID:	1873732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93545.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	1873733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35687.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	1873734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37981.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	1873735  
Old 04-19-2013, 09:47 AM
jnuckols

The image showing the small particles between the leads might be showing an issue. Looks like maybe some assembly residue that didn't get cleaned away. Whether it's a real problem or not depends on what's in the residue. The image showing the "O" in the connection to the heat pad is probably not an issue. Usually the through-hole vias connecting the thermal pad to an internal copper layer in the board don't get filled with anything, making them look like an "O", but they're usually designed to carry the heat that way. They have the shape of a hollow barrel or tube and the heat moves down the sides.

Nice pictures. Not many folks have access to that equipment. Maybe someone at Orange RC will look into the possibility that some assembly residue didn't get cleaned off.