Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

um, what did I just buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 01:49 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default um, what did I just buy?

browsing on ebay I found this RC
The solid rear axle and independant front with twin vertical plate chassis was jsut to cool to pass up. Sos I bought it.

Any ideas what make/model? It looks to be hobby grade to me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47552.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	1874012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66734.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	1874013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr39871.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	1874014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53764.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	1874015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13098.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1874016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd81054.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1874017  
Old 04-19-2013, 02:11 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: um, what did I just buy?

Has me beat, Kinda cool looking... Does not look like it would handle well[&:]
Old 04-19-2013, 02:25 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beats me too, never seen a TVP with a solid rear and independent front. Get some electronics in there and play with it!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:02 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Beats me too, never seen a TVP with a solid rear and independent front. Get some electronics in there and play with it!
oh I will.
I hope it takes a 540 motor. Hard to tell with that trans cover.

It doesnt really look like a custom job, but doesnt look like any particular make either. I half bought it hoping it is something rare

it looks complete except for a body, radio and I think there was a plastic rear bumper which broke off. All else seems to be there.
Almost looks like a bottom loading battery door as well.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:28 PM
The Mad Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I said to myself,"those wheels/tires and front bumper look like their for an atv." So I googled "rc ATV" and BINGO; it's a Radio Shack Yamaha ATV.
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143364
Old 04-19-2013, 03:31 PM
redfisher1974

Ding Ding Ding you win the prize....
Old 04-19-2013, 03:33 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

I said to myself,''those wheels/tires and front bumper look like their for an atv.'' So I googled ''rc ATV'' and BINGO; it's a Radio Shack ATV.
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143364
wow, would not have guessed it was toy grade! It looks much better built than that. I thought maybe it was some old kyosho or something like that.
Nice job spotting the tires and thinking up the google search!

Might have paid more than its worth tho.
But, according to that link it has a 550 motor, so if the included electronics dont work it should be easy to drop in standard brushed setup and get it running again. Also pumped to find its a 4wd! I didnt see the front diff. I hope the driveline is ready to go. Ad just said "I dont know about this car just got it from my dad garage"
Must be an older radio shack...they havent sold anything as good looking in a long time!

Maybe with the right body, it could be a semi-crawler build?
Old 04-19-2013, 07:26 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That things Awsome. Man the ideas are endless... The rear could use some mods, looks like its straight up and down with no flex....
But with some some mods u should be able to get some crazy flex because there is no chassis above the diff....

Oh man, what about a new bright hummer body? If u get a H2 the suspension style is spot on...

Nice score...
Old 04-20-2013, 05:33 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

That things Awsome. Man the ideas are endless... The rear could use some mods, looks like its straight up and down with no flex....
But with some some mods u should be able to get some crazy flex because there is no chassis above the diff....

Oh man, what about a new bright hummer body? If u get a H2 the suspension style is spot on...

Nice score...
i think you are right, those rear arms look fixed on the axle side. If they could be removed without weakening the axle, then crawler type links could be installed with a 3 link on the center.

Wouldnt it be cool if radio shack or walmart sold RC's like this?
The thing that gets me about most toy grade rc's, is that they are over engineired. A simplier design could often be used which would result in a higher performing model.
I mean, have you pulled apart any recent toy grade rc's? Its retarded how they are made, soo many un needed parts. Crazy tough bumpers, with tiny little weak axle shafts or plastic wheel hubs that break easy. I dont know who designs that crap. Especially the $100 huge offroad trucks...that can hardly go offroad with their hard plastic tires, low power and 2wd. Market a $100 rc as offroading and then have it get stuck in short grass. No wonder many kids are shocked when they see me run one of my electric RC's. Most of them think it must be a gas powered rc, as they dont equate performance with electric rc.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:07 AM
Zrock

as soon as i seen those little screws in the shocks and axles i knew it was not hobby grade and was something from radio shack. Im pretty sure they actually still sell that ATV.. hehe

Cool little project by the looks of it. 
Old 04-20-2013, 06:43 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Zrock

as soon as i seen those little screws in the shocks and axles i knew it was not hobby grade and was something from radio shack. Im pretty sure they actually still sell that ATV.. hehe

Cool little project by the looks of it.
really? I kinda doubt that. I havent seen anything this close to hobby grade from radio shack in a long time. Today, everything is plastic and all the electronics are hidden under so kids can access them. As much of the hardware is hidden as possible on the stuff sold today. And you very rarely see an actual hobby grade 3wire servo. I could be wrong tho, if you can find proof that this model is still sold please show me...I may need part!

I did email the seller and ask if he could check his dad's garage again for the ATV body. He didnt know what it was or what kind of body it should have. So there is a possiblility he may find it know that he knows what to look for.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Scottgir

That has the makings of a REALLY cool scaler actually. I didn't see if it was 4WD. But based on the other persons description. 17mm hexes gives you a TON of options for tires. 550 motor with beefy gears. If you use a micrometer, throw in bearings based on the size you find. Get a cool body on it.

With a solid rear and independent front, that would make a really cool truck.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:03 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

i just got the rc today
it seems it originally ran a 6cell nimh and used a 9v battery. My guess is that the 9v powered the reciever.
I dont see a reciever or ESC. Motor is there and I put power to it and it worked.
Drive shafts are fairly beafy and the whole truck is pretty large. Lenght is close to emaxx size.
One rear wheel has the rim busted. can likely still be run with the stock motor. Tires look to use a 14mm hex on the rear.
Fronts have a 14mm hex, but the hex is special to fit the stub axle (square shape, no drive pin used)
So rears should fit pretty much any 14mm wheel. fronts can, as long as the stock hex's fit n the rims.

Rear is a solid axle with just up/down and no tilt. Not sure yet if it can be modded to a 3 link or not.

When i have time tomorrow I will slap an ESC/radio in it and see if i can get it running as is.

The size is impressive and this thing is VERY close to what most of us would consider hobby grade. Only a few bits would I consider toy grade stuff. I wish radio shack still sold stuff like this!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 AM
redfisher1974

I remember the old ford pickup I had from Radio Shack... I loved the body...
Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 PM
The_Shark

saw one of these in some autoshop 15 years ago.