Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA 1/4 Sopwith Pup build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Balsa USA 1/4 Sopwith Pup build

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:08 AM
sprgfvr02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Balsa USA 1/4 Sopwith Pup build

Thanks for the response Chevelle, but I was describing the the Cabane Struts, not the landing gear.

Wes
Old 04-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

No problem. Same process.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36685.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1873743  
Old 04-19-2013, 02:27 PM
senrak

Hey Wes,
I did not glue the cabine struts in place. They slide in very nicely and after the upper wing is installed they are captive. There is no way they are ever coming loose or falling out.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:39 PM
senrak

Here's a picture. Also the new pilot is almost ready for assignment.

Name:	Fd93349.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1874043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91942.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1874044  
Old 04-25-2013, 05:27 AM
ALO 111

At last my maiden vid not very good vid but iam learning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW5GwOq2mtM
Old 05-03-2013, 04:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice flight Barry, was that the maiden where your friend was on the sticks or your maiden?
Looked fantastic
Old 05-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ALO 111

At last my maiden vid not very good vid but iam learning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW5GwOq2mtM
ALO 111,

You are being too modest.
That video is superb and most enjoyable to watch.

Big CONGRATULATIONS.

Zor

Old 05-05-2013, 01:10 AM
ALO 111

Thanx guys , so wish i had taken a vid at the airshow but i just stood and watched as this guy made magic with the sopwith. Ill get him on the sticks again now hes comfortable with the plane.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:12 AM
ALO 111

By the way this is my flying field at the moment on our farm , its normaly a dam but very dry now. lol
Old 11-26-2013, 07:48 AM
KDBrown

Wes, I have not seen any posts in a while. How is your build coming?
Old 11-26-2013, 08:48 AM
sprgfvr02

My build was on hold for several months. Graduations, weddings; stuff. I re-started earlier this month. The actual build part is complete, I'm now in the process of assembly. I had all kinds of fun fitting the wing cabanes(?) on. They were off by 1/4 inch plus each time I adjusted with shims etc. I finally disconnected the main cabanes and installed and soldered the wing cabanes. I then re-tightened the mains. All came out well.

I'm now installing the servos in the wings, and dry fitting the ailerons. Next step will be to sand everything and begin covering the wings.

I've upgraded my radio equipment to the Futaba 8 FGA Super 2.4. That will be installed in the next month.

Anyway, Thanks for thought. I hope to have her in the air in a few months.

Wes
Old 11-26-2013, 09:11 AM
KDBrown

I completely understand. My build went on hold several times due to similar issues. In fact, I have barely flown anything this entire year, and have yet to maiden my pup. Every once in a while I go down and make an addition or update to my pup. I just replaced the cockpit combing (sp?) with actual leather and stitching. That came out nicely and added a lot to the model's appearance. I'm actually afraid to fly it given the time I've put in. My flying skills need improving.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:03 AM
jviss

Default Another builder

I've just joined the BUSA Sopwith Pup club, a 1/4 scale one. I bought it "new" on eBay, including the aluminum cowl, decal set, Vickers gun, and DuBor wheels. I'm very excited.

I don't know when I'll start it, as I've been interested in R/C for over 35 years I've never flown one; I have a kit I started back then that I'm completing, and have purchased a trainer. Once the old kit is done I'll start the Pup.

I'd like to incorporate quite a bit of scale detail and realism to this build. I wonder how many have pursued a fine scale rendition of this kit? I love what I have been able to glean from his web page of Mike Reeve's 1/4 scale Pup, especially the working scale rigging (and quick assembly). Has anyone bashed the BUSA kit with reference to the Reeve's plans?

How about scale under-camber in the wings? I'm also very interested in a realistic dummy motor. I have a home machine shop and some skill, so I might be able to do something cool here.

I have a million questions, yes. I've read this entire thread and am thoroughly impressed with the builds represented here, and the people building and participating in this thread: thank you!

Regards,

jv
Old 12-12-2013, 06:16 AM
KDBrown

Hello JV,

I think you will enjoy this kit. I would not consider this kit to be truly scale by any means, but if you're willing to make some changes, you can incorporate some nice scale details. It is a good kit.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:13 AM
sprgfvr02

Welcome to the thread. Hope you get the information you need to put some true scale features in your pup.

Good luck,
wes
Old 12-12-2013, 09:03 AM
KDBrown

One of my latest "scale touches" was leather cockpit combing. Came out decent and added a nice look.

Name:	DSC01938.JPG
Views:	717
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	1947064   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01940.JPG
Views:	664
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	1947065  
Old 12-12-2013, 09:34 AM
jviss

Originally Posted by KDBrown
One of my latest "scale touches" was leather cockpit combing. Came out decent and added a nice look.
Wow, very nice!

Thanks, guys, for welcoming me to the forum and thread. I am very excited. I know the BUSA kit is not intended to be a fine scale kit, but i hope to build a good, rugged, flyable sport scale Pup with some nice scale details. I love the leather cockpit coaming detail. I'm thinking of a good dummy engine, realistic, functioning-bungee landing gear, simulated rib stitching and taping, lacing, cables for control surfaces, etc.

I love reading about how folks depart from the "straight" kit build and add customizations, details, enhancements.

Thanks,,

jv
Old 12-12-2013, 09:42 AM
sprgfvr02

KD,

What stain and color did you use. It looks great. Did you use the same for the struts? Also, where did you get the leather strip?

Wes
Old 12-12-2013, 12:04 PM
KDBrown

JV, Enjoy the build and keep us updated with pictures and all. I'm sure you've checked out ALO 111's build and pictures. The cockpit and fabric stitching is incredible! Also take a look at Chevelle's landing gear! Very nice! There are some truly gifted craftsmen on this thread. Everything from soldering to painting! Everyone is very helpful with any kind of question. It's fun to watch each build progress. The thread has been quiet lately, so glad you jumped in with a new build.

Kevin
Old 12-12-2013, 12:15 PM
jviss

Thanks Kevin. Yes, I enjoyed the soldering discussion. My dad was a highly skilled metalworker, a sheet metal spinner, and taught me to solder when I was 10 or so. I had no trouble soldering a cabane assembly when I was 20, but I must admit I had 10 years experience by that time! I will go back and study the details.

Thanks,

jv
Old 12-12-2013, 01:59 PM
KDBrown

Hi Wes,

I mixed in a bit of minwax 'Mission Oak' into 'Red Mahogany' to match the color on the Xoar Scimitar (dark colored) propeller (kind of anal, huh?) I then lightly misted the first 2 coats of clear sealer using Monokote clear gloss so it wouldn't dissolve the stain. If you put it on too heavy, it will dissolve and curl the stain. I then finished with a couple of heavier coats to fuel-proof the wood. Did the same for all the wood. I found the leather from Tandy Leather along with a small spool of braided sinew. The leather came in a 8x11 piece, fairly thin and easy to work with. However, I looked on the site and couldn't find it in the darker color. It is referred to as "tooling leather". I think I paid around $13 for the leather, and about $5 for the small spool of sinew for the stitching. I used fuel tubing around the cockpit like the kit recommends, and wrapped with the leather and stitched. Drilling all of the holes for the stitching (about 57) took a little time.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:21 PM
sprgfvr02

Great reply, thanks. It reminded me a bit of my mother-in-laws recipe's; a pinch of this and a dash of that. I will probably do the cockpit detail, but not just yet. I want to fly her first.

Thank again. I'll post a picture when I start staining and covering in about a week.

Wes
Old 12-12-2013, 06:19 PM
jviss

Originally Posted by Chevelle
No problem. Same process.
Chevelle, I really like the color scheme of your Pup. Can you please say what the insignia on the fuselage represents?

Thanks,

jv
Old 12-14-2013, 07:42 AM
jviss

Thinking of an engine, and a dummy engine for this. Has anyone considered (or used) the NGH GF38 four-stroke gas engine for this?

And any ideas on a good dummy Le Rhone are appreciated. On these dummies, is anyone spinning them with the prop, per the prototype?

Thanks,

jv
Old 12-16-2013, 01:49 PM
jviss

Default BUSA Pup Kit Arrives!

Got it Saturday. I've never had a kit this big, and I had a silly grin on my face for an hour or more as I went through the stuff. The package I purchased included the aluminum cowl, DuBro wheels, Vickers gun kit, and vinyl decal set. I kept thinking, "wow, this is big!"

I've gone over the plans sheets some, and read the assembly manual. This is going to require some thought to get it per the designers intention. The manual is O.K., but I found some inconsistencies: on the upper wing panel build there are some views of the left panel (e.g., photo 24), while it is the right panel that is supposed to be illustrated; in addition it seems some pics are swapped, out of sequence. For example, photo 14 on p. 8 and photo 15 on p. 9 appear swapped. Not a lot of detail is provided on adding scale details, it's a pretty bare-bones manual.

The gun kit is pretty basic - cardboard tube, bits of dowel and a sheet of laser-cut parts. I'm thinking the Williams Brothers kit would provide much more scale detail, and is much less expensive.

I'd determined to decide on how much scale detail to put in, and modify or augment the plans and source the parts before I start.

jv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.