Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

The Tanker's Lounge

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: The Tanker's Lounge

Thanks, nope i don't collect them i custom paint them for people, this one is for my Brother-In-Law's Brother
Old 04-20-2013, 05:02 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I admire your artistic painting talent and skill. I can barely paint plastic correctly with olive drab. I didn't know a bowling ball could have a personality!

Old 04-20-2013, 05:13 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Instead of that Sherman, I need to send you a mailbox to paint for me.

Wonderful work!

~ Jeff
Old 05-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Hello everyone, been really busy lately since the weather has turned nice, cleaning up a lot of the leftover debris from those nasty storms. Also since my son is now 2 1/2 yrs old he is getting excited about rc crawler trucks..... So I have been busy trying to get some parts together to finish a axial ax10 I have and most likely will be treating myself to a new axial scx10 rubicon, which has left me with the tanks taking a backseat for now. Although I am checking in here once and awhile and will continue to do so. So many toys.....so little time.

Cheers
Wade
Old 05-04-2013, 10:52 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this is the kind of start to ( Spring )i was hoping we would get.Got a batch of nice sunny days in the forecast...close to 80 degrees today. Had a pretty mild winter here in general,and the trees are well on their way leafing out.Grass is growing like crazy and summer is on its way.

Got about 4 acres that i mow all during the summer and with my small riding mower it takes close to 8 hours to cut it all start to finish every week.Not counting all the weed eating.......Sometime feels like by the time i get from one side of the place cut to the otherside its time to start over again... I don't mind cuting grass and i love to look at the place when its all cut.Kind of like having my own personel park when the tress are all leafed out and the grass is freshly cut.Lived in the country most of my life with the exception of my military time and just could not picture living in a city of any size.

I get about three years out of my lawn tractors before the mower deck get wore out.....they take a beating.These tractors i buy aren't realy made to cut as much grass on a yearly bassis as what they get from me.Realy puts them to the test....

BIGMIG
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35725.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1879265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83741.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1879266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88121.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1879267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33463.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1879268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd42982.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1879269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar100000.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1879270  
Old 05-04-2013, 11:20 PM
Airbrushler

ORIGINAL: Panther F

Wonderful work!

~ Jeff

ok send it over
Old 05-04-2013, 11:41 PM
BIGMIG

I have been watching and waiting for a good sale price on a new mower and was thinking how well this one i have now has held up to all the work it has done for me.Think its a 13.5 HP 42 inch cut mower ( brand is a Poulan ) and i bought it almost 4 years ago to the day.If i remember correctly it was $850.00 or $900.00 at Home Depot when i got it.I know this will wrinkle a few feathers but while i was cutting grass today i couldn't help but think some of the tamiya tanks posted here on the forum cost more than what i paid for this lawn mower that has done so much work in the past four years. (not trying to start a war...just stating a fact )

Had to take a couple of pictures...........Sit one of my 1/16 scale HL tigers on the mower and tried to visualize (didn't have a Tamiya) the amount of materials to make each ( tank & mower ) and the cost of one verses the other ?? And my mower was ready to cut grass as soon as i unloaded it and added gas and checked the oil.Can anyone explain that to me.?

My mower ( I think is USA built & ready to run top to bottom ...just add gas ).....And the Tamiya is foreign made (i think in the philippine islands and who ever buys it must put it togeather ) and those who make up the kits are working for 6 or 7 dollars a day (mabe ) ?? Am i missing something here ?? I don't get it..

A picture of my mower the day i brought it home......

And one with the HL tank on the hood....

And a picture of the tractor being also used to tow my PU camper on a trailer ( don't try this with a HL or TAMIYA tank....) [8D][8D]
I use it a lot for moving boats and other things around so as i can keep the grass mowed under them....

BIGMIG

P.S. This same could also apply to $4500.00 + TV sets.........$2500.00 + bicycles ........ and on and on.....

Name:	Ec88024.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1879284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56723.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1879285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89067.jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1879286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73448.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1879287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41334.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1879288  
Old 05-05-2013, 03:43 AM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: Airbrushler

Wonderful work!

~ Jeff

ok send it over
~~~~~~~~

Hey.... When you get done with that mailbox for Jeff, would you be interested in painting a British sports car? I started mine on Wednesday and the the little bugger caught fire. It's gonna need some work...........

Name:	Mk27460.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	1879297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84727.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1879298  
Old 05-05-2013, 04:18 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

WOW Rex!

You were fast, you got that fire out quick. Most car fires I see are just a burned out hulk.

Bummer.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:40 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes.

Did you find the cause yet?
Old 05-05-2013, 05:05 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh no, my heart is broken seeing that
Old 05-05-2013, 05:15 AM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: Pah co chu puk

WOW Rex!

You were fast, you got that fire out quick. Most car fires I see are just a burned out hulk.

Bummer.
~~~~~~

I have had that car for 30 years. It's a 1973 Jensen Healey. I haven't driven it much for the last 10 years. Once a month I started it up and drove around the block. May 1st I went out into the garage in the afternoon and lifted the hood, took a look at everything and started it. I put the choke on fast idle and went back into the house for a glass of water. I could hear the engine running. I was thirsty so I went back into the house. As I drank the water, I heard the engine stop. I went back to the garage and when I opened the door all I saw was thick black smoke and flames. Fortunately there was a fire extinguisher within reach and I emptied it on the engine. My son called 911 and ran to me with the fire extinguisher from the kitchen. I used that on the flames that were from the cardboard that was under the car to catch oil drips. We pushed the car out on to the driveway just as the Fire Dept. came down the street, 3 fire engines, two police cars and half of the neighborhood. My only concern was not burning down the house. There was no damage to the house. The garage roof trusses weren't touched. Thank goodness no fire hoses were needed. Water damage would have been horrible. The Firemen set up fans to blow the smoke out of the house. Apparently a 40 year old fuel line leaked and dripped on the cardboard. That's where the fire really was. Flames blackened the firewall and burned wiring, rubber hoses, plastic things and the hood and fender. No one got hurt the house is ok, but that powder in a fire extinguisher is like talcum and it gets EVERYWHERE! I have a lot of cleaning to do, and I gotta buy two new fire extinguishers. You have no idea how glad I am that they were handy.

The car has a future. An old friend of mine called about a month and asked me if I wanted to sell it. He was looking for a car for his 16 year old son to work on. I asked him what price he would be willing to pay. He said he could come up with $1000.

I jokingly said "Heck, before I sell that car for $1000 .... I'll set fire to it and watch it burn". Ya gotta be careful about what you say sometimes ..... things can come back and bite you on the butt.

I called him and told him he could have the car. For free. As, where is. He will be here Tuesday with his son and a car dolly.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:49 AM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: Strato50

Oh no, my heart is broken seeing that
~~~~~

Looks worse than it is .... damaged but not destroyed. Definitely a long term project. Inside the drivers area it's ok

Name:	Lj21414.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1879317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51828.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	1879318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91105.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1879319  
Old 05-05-2013, 06:06 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

That white powder is not good to breathe.  Wear a dust mask while you clean.

Good to hear that it did not turn in to a structure fire. 

I can just see it... You shout, "Save my babies!" and the fire fighters go in looking for kids not RC tanks.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:14 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Oh... never use cardboard to catch oil drips. Too flammable and being oil soaked too if the car sucked it up in an updraft it'll ignite against the hot exhaust.

Always use speedy-dry or even cat litter... the sand type and clean it monthly too.

Glad your house was not damaged!

~ Jeff
Old 05-05-2013, 07:05 AM
1sgt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rex,
I had an MG Midget once in my late teen. Was driving down the road and a friend noticed smoke. I freaked out and stomped on the brakes and jumper out. Never thinking of the electric fuel pump would stay still on, it kept pumping more and more gas. Well in a matter of seconds. my Midget was a ball of flames. Total loss. I learned two valuable lessons. One, always have a fire extinguisher ( as you did ) and carry full coverage insurance ( which I didn't) I ended up paying for that car ( which now was in a junkyard ) for an additional two years.

Jim
Old 05-05-2013, 07:08 AM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: Pah co chu puk

That white powder is not good to breathe. Wear a dust mask while you clean.

Good to hear that it did not turn in to a structure fire.

I can just see it... You shout, ''Save my babies!'' and the fire fighters go in looking for kids not RC tanks.

Hey ...... Ya got that right! If the house did burn down and destroy my "babies" ..... OMG ..... I don't want to think about that.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:12 AM
Rex Ross

Oh... never use cardboard to catch oil drips. Too flammable and being oil soaked too if the car sucked it up in an updraft it'll ignite against the hot exhaust.

Always use speedy-dry or even cat litter... the sand type and clean it monthly too.

~~~~~~~~~

OH GREAT! NOW YA TELL ME!!! ...... Where were you 30 years ago when I first wondered what I was gonna do with the box my new refrigerator came in??????

~ Jeff
Old 05-05-2013, 07:16 AM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: 1sgt

Rex,
I had an MG Midget once in my late teen. Was driving down the road and a friend noticed smoke. I freaked out and stomped on the brakes and jumper out. Never thinking of the electric fuel pump would stay still on, it kept pumping more and more gas. Well in a matter of seconds. my Midget was a ball of flames. Total loss. I learned two valuable lessons. One, always have a fire extinguisher ( as you did ) and carry full coverage insurance ( which I didn't) I ended up paying for that car ( which now was in a junkyard ) for an additional two years.

Jim
~~~~~~~

I didn't insure mine anymore either. Hey, it never left the garage, what could possibly go wrong with a non operational garage queen? Last year I replaced my electric fuel pump. $150. Now that hurts![]
Old 05-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Airbrushler

ORIGINAL: Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: Airbrushler

Wonderful work!

~ Jeff

ok send it over
~~~~~~~~

Hey.... When you get done with that mailbox for Jeff, would you be interested in painting a British sports car? I started mine on Wednesday and the the little bugger caught fire. It's gonna need some work...........

OH NO! that must have been devastating sorry to hear that Rex Ross i hope you can fix her up if i lived closer i would help paint it for ya
Old 05-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: BIGMIG

I have been watching and waiting for a good sale price on a new mower and was thinking how well this one i have now has held up to all the work it has done for me.Think its a 13.5 HP 42 inch cut mower ( brand is a Poulan ) and i bought it almost 4 years ago to the day.If i remember correctly it was $850.00 or $900.00 at Home Depot when i got it.I know this will wrinkle a few feathers but while i was cutting grass today i couldn't help but think some of the tamiya tanks posted here on the forum cost more than what i paid for this lawn mower that has done so much work in the past four years. (not trying to start a war...just stating a fact )

Had to take a couple of pictures...........Sit one of my 1/16 scale HL tigers on the mower and tried to visualize (didn't have a Tamiya) the amount of materials to make each ( tank & mower ) and the cost of one verses the other ?? And my mower was ready to cut grass as soon as i unloaded it and added gas and checked the oil.Can anyone explain that to me.?

My mower ( I think is USA built & ready to run top to bottom ...just add gas ).....And the Tamiya is foreign made (i think in the philippine islands and who ever buys it must put it togeather ) and those who make up the kits are working for 6 or 7 dollars a day (mabe ) ?? Am i missing something here ?? I don't get it..

A picture of my mower the day i brought it home......

And one with the HL tank on the hood....

And a picture of the tractor being also used to tow my PU camper on a trailer ( don't try this with a HL or TAMIYA tank....) [8D][8D]
I use it a lot for moving boats and other things around so as i can keep the grass mowed under them....

BIGMIG

P.S. This same could also apply to $4500.00 + TV sets.........$2500.00 + bicycles ........ and on and on.....
BigMig, what you need is a "garden tractor" thats what I have, works pretty darn decent. I have 4 acres also. Its a Craftsman w/46in cutting deck as for the usual belt replacements drive/ and blades has lasted a long time. The garden tractor variety I have found is more robust then lawn tractors. Just my 2c. And BTW Rex sorry about your car.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 05-06-2013, 11:14 AM
BIGMIG

Hello Wade,
Ya i have had the actual garden tractor in the past.They are made a lot stronger,but what takes the beating is the mower deck itself.If you note in the picture of my mower,the tractor part itself is still in great condition.The deck gets so hammered its not worth trying to replace any of the parts as once it gets bent and twisted here and there they never work right again even if one starts replacing worn out parts.In the past it was possible to buy and replace the mower deck itself for a lot of the brands of mowers
but the cost of doing that was more than half the cost of a new mower.........So for a few hundred dollars more it made more sense to me just to buy the new one.If i get four years out of the cheaper brand of mower i can live with that.

I have often wondered all the back and fourth ...back and fourth...How many miles that would add up to at the end of a summer's mowing season..????

BIGMIG
Old 05-12-2013, 01:00 AM
BIGMIG

My wife and i will be leaving in a few days on a drive to Yellowston park and will meet up with my youngest daughter and her husband in Bosie Idaho.We planed this trip about a month and a half ago.My wife and i was there about 10 years ago,but for my daughter and her husband this will be a first time event and we are counting the days till we get on the road.

I always tell people who like to travel ( if they have not yet seen yellowstone ) that if there is one place in the USA that everyone should see.....It would have to be Yellowstone park.....It is an Awesome place.

For me it is somewhere between 900 and a 1,000 mile drive one way going into Jackson wyoming and into the park up through the south entrance.

Copied this from an online ( Yellowstone fact sheet )

The park consists of 3,472 square miles....
63 air miles north to south...
54 air miles west to east....
Larger than Rhode Island and Delaware combined....
310 miles of paved roads....
More than 15 miles of boardwalks....

Dated Jan.6,2012 ( Yellowstone visitation top 3 million for fifth straight year )

For me i think the middle of May is the best time of the year to go...as traffic can be a real pain in the peak season.But when we went before in May there was still deep snow in some parts of the park,but all the main atraction spots was clear.

Hope you all have the chance to see this park someday if you haven't already.......

BIGMIG
Old 05-12-2013, 02:49 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am glad you had a fire extinguisher, and some quick thinking on your part to get the vehicle out of the garage to minimize the damage done. It must hurt a little seeing your relationship with this car end like this.

I am a strong believer in having fire extinguishers around. A 30 pound Ansul fire extinguisher can fight a pretty big fire.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:02 AM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: YHR

I am glad you had a fire extinguisher, and some quick thinking on your part to get the vehicle out of the garage to minimize the damage done. It must hurt a little seeing your relationship with this car end like this.

I am a strong believer in having fire extinguishers around. A 30 pound Ansul fire extinguisher can fight a pretty big fire.
~~~~~~~
Dan ...........
It was a slow news day at the local newspaper office .......

http://www.timesheraldonline.com/new...t-out-by-owner

That car got me thru my Mid-Life Crisis, which I went thru twice. Now this hobby is helping me get thru my Old Age Crisis, which I have been going thru for over ten years.

The car now has a good home. A good friend of mine has a 16 year old son who wanted it. I gave it to him. He is very happy to have a fixer upper.

I am happy too. I have two new fire extinguishers. I also have enough garage space for a large HO train layout, or a pool table, or a ?????

I'm OK with the way things have turned out. No one hurt. No house damage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.