Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

Anyone EXTENDED their CEN GST? Check out this Chassis Kit....

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Anyone EXTENDED their CEN GST? Check out this Chassis Kit....

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone EXTENDED their CEN GST? Check out this Chassis Kit....

So in an effort to beef up my Brushless Cen GST, I decided to look around and found this CEN GST Extension kit, to make it a 1/5 scale.

Has anyone done this?

Here is the link to the kit,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-MONSTER-...item2318405366

thinking about going this way in order to run my 3S batteries on my BL GST. Your guys thoughts on this?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:24 PM
IrishChamp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Anyone EXTENDED their CEN GST? Check out this Chassis Kit....

I've been eyeing that as well, it's very spends IMO. It's not even an improved design, thicker etc. he's the only show in town for this item but other extended chassis (savage for example) from companies that have a reputation of being speedy are in the $60 range.
Still intrigues me..........
Old 11-29-2012, 05:50 PM
hooleydog
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought this kit (to convert my gst to a 1:5 scale gasser) and the alum is 3mm thick (Original frames was just 2mm), also is made to high quality too. Just look in my gallery. Though I'll be adding new pics, cos I have fitted more aluminum parts..

Mike..
Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 AM
JUCD VPR

That looks really good. DO you have any video of it running? Nice build man!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 PM
hooleydog

Nope not yet, Cos I've been replacing the plastic parts IE: Shocks, Shock Towers, Hubs, Diff Bulk Heads to aluminum, and making the muffler more level (Than before) also I did the 2 servo steering mod, so the reverse system had be removed (to make room for the other servo)..

Oh I had to make the battery box bigger, so I can fit a 6v 5cell 3300mAH battery in it (Box was too small), so you see I've been busy with the truck, and I'll add new pics soon..

Mike..
Old 01-15-2013, 11:11 AM
JUCD VPR

Cool keep us updated. I just went with 1 high powered Savox steering servo for mine, but they are expensive.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:48 AM
hooleydog

I too had a high powered powered Savox steering servo. But since the truck now weighs 20 pounds (Empty tank), one servo was not enough to turn those large tires with that weight, so that's why I did the 2 servo steering mod. But I had to open up one of the servos (to change some of the wires), so it would be a reverse servo( Don't want both to move in the same direction)

Mike..
Old 04-19-2013, 05:52 PM
hooleydog

Here's my finnished converted GST 7.5 gasser truck RTR.. I even did the 2-steering servo mode, cos using 1 servo wasn't enought for this monster, and the guy who posted the mod failed to say that you have to reverse one servo. I did that that by opening the servo up and swapping the 2 wires over on the pot , and on the motor too....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18538.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1874112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52928.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	1874113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71197.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1874114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98259.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1874115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Se46085.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1874116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86445.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1874117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82009.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1874118  
Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you used the same brand servos you should not have needed to reverse the servos!! They rotate in the same direction to turn the wheels the same way. Have you driven that yet?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:21 AM
hooleydog

ORIGINAL: The Real Dogman

If you used the same brand servos you should not have needed to reverse the servos!! They rotate in the same direction to turn the wheels the same way. Have you driven that yet?

I not sure what you mean. If you use any other servo's they will move in the same direction IE: both will move push or pull. You want one to pull the steering link and the other to push it, as for it been driven yet nope. Though, All 3 diffs are from the GST nemesis, cos they use a larger out drive bearing. (GST 7.7) uses a smaller bearing. Infact the whole gearbox is from a GST Nemesis too

Mike..
Old 04-20-2013, 05:30 AM
The Real Dogman

Power up your truck and try to steer it you will soon see what I mean.
With the servo horns pointing at each other, and the servos rotating in the same direction they will pull on one side and push on the other.
But an easy fix, just put the wires back where they belong.
I have been running this set up for years, do you really think I would have forgotten such a critical point, and not be corrected by now?

Besides, it's a sticky! It wouldn't be one if I forgot that!!
Old 04-20-2013, 05:37 AM
hooleydog

Power up your truck and try to steer it you will soon see what I mean.
With the servo horns pointing at each other, and the servos rotating in the same direction they will pull on one side and push on the other.
But an easy fix, just put the wires back where they belong.
I have been running this set up for years, do you really think I would have forgotten such a critical point, and not be corrected by now?

I know what you mean. But I did that and they moved in same direction (All my other servos did the same thing.. The other fix was to reversing y-lead, but I didn't want to go that way...

Mike..
Old 04-20-2013, 05:41 AM
The Real Dogman

You DON'T need to reverse one of the servos you want them to rotate in the same direction so when they sit side by side and the servo horns point at each other one will push and other will pull.

And I meant power up the truck while assembled with linkages attached. 
Old 04-20-2013, 05:46 AM
hooleydog

You DON'T need to reverse one of the servos you want them to rotate in the same direction so when they sit side by side and the servo horns point at each other one will push and other will pull.

And I meant power up the truck while assembled with linkages attached.

I did power up the truck first, and that's how I found out, that my 2 servos were going the direction, so I had to look for a fix, and reversing one fixed the problem, so it's ok as for these servos that I bought for my truck. They are way better that the Gst ones..

Mike..
Old 04-20-2013, 05:55 AM
The Real Dogman

Never mind, you will find out soon enough!
And there is no yelling here! THIS IS YELLING. NOTICE ALL CAPS!!
And this is EMPHASIZING a word or action. There is only one word capped!
Oh and btw, looks cool. I thought about doing this to one of my CENs but then I realized how top heavy and unstable the truck would be and decided against it.
Lets see a video of it running!!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:13 AM
hooleydog

Never mind, you will find out soon enough!
And there is no yelling here! THIS IS YELLING. NOTICE ALL CAPS!!
And this is EMPHASIZING a word or action. There is only one word capped!
Oh and btw, looks cool. I thought about doing this to one of my CENs but then I realized how top heavy and unstable the truck would be and decided against it.
Lets see a video of it running!!

Ok Anyway. The steering servos work correctly now, and I talked to the guy who designed this gasser truck (Mike Cannon), and he said that the truck runs fine, also I have fitted Ofna Wheel Hub Extensions 15mm to my truck too

Mike..
Old 04-20-2013, 09:09 AM
The Real Dogman

Ok good luck and most importantly, have fun!!

Would love to see a video of it running around and to satisfy my curiosity, post a video from the bottom so we all can see how you got the  steering to work with the servos rotating in opposite directions. I would like to see how we'll it runs with the big motor up there, and if it looks good I will buy one of these kits. I love my 1/5 scale stuff and would like to compliment my collection with a converted Genesis!
Old 04-20-2013, 10:00 AM
hooleydog

Ok good luck and most importantly, have fun!!

Would love to see a video of it running around and to satisfy my curiosity, post a video from the bottom so we all can see how you got the steering to work with the servos rotating in opposite directions. I would like to see how we'll it runs with the big motor up there, and if it looks good I will buy one of these kits. I love my 1/5 scale stuff and would like to compliment my collection with a converted Genesis!
If I can get a video done I will. But I found out that the plastic shock towers were just too flexable for this truck now, so I had to get the alum ones, and I'm thinking of getting the longer Ofna Wheel Hub Extensions 30mm for my truck (I'm using 15mm ones), as the wheelbase will be a inch wider on each side (which will be better) Oh and heavy duty shock springs too (The white ones were too soft).. Plus the exhaust opening was tooo small, so I drilled it out and JB welded a larger alun tube in there, so now the opening is bigger and the pipe won't strangle the motor..

But looking at the truck, it sure does look fantastic..

Mike..
Old 04-20-2013, 10:11 AM
The Real Dogman

Cool wider could be better, but keep in mind that the longer the wideners are the more stress you will put on the knuckles and arms which will cause more/faster wear! Not to mention easier breakage with the increased leverage longer wideners will create. But give it a try I am very curious to see if the suspension can take it.

oh and not trying to bust on ya but the measurement to determine the width of your vehicle is called Track Width not wheel base. Wheel base determines the length front to back, center line of front axle to the center line of rear axle. Just trying to help educate a little, sorry if it offends you.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:12 AM
hooleydog

Cool wider could be better, but keep in mind that the longer the wideners are the more stress you will put on the knuckles and arms which will cause more/faster wear! Not to mention easier breakage with the increased leverage longer wideners will create. But give it a try I am very curious to see if the suspension can take it.

oh and not trying to bust on ya but the measurement to determine the width of your vehicle is called Track Width not wheel base. Wheel base determines the length front to back, center line of front axle to the center line of rear axle. Just trying to help educate a little, sorry if it offends you.

I'm not affended at all, as for stress on the knuckles. I did hear that, though the c-hubs and knuckles on my truck are all aluminum, We'll see eh?? (Not sure if I should get the aluminum a-arms too)Though I would still do the conversion, but do it on a GST nemesis, as the truck has larger output bearings to cope with the higher torque of the big motor, and a steel front center dogbone (Not the Plastic one, as it might will break)

Mike..
Old 04-20-2013, 10:28 AM
hooleydog

oops
Old 09-05-2013, 08:51 PM
so65imp3s3s
My Feedback: (12)

What's going on with this setup guy? Anything good (or bad to report?
Old 10-08-2013, 12:19 AM
savage dust bunny

Has anyone used Kershaw Designs 1/5 kit? Reckon it would also work with the nitro??
Old 11-13-2013, 04:42 PM
hooleydog

My truck runs great (No problems so far) Though I never abuse my truck anyway. But the gearing was too low, so I fitted the 2 Nemesis clutch pinion gears as they have more teeth (bigger), and This truck has the Nemesis front, rear and center diffs, cos they have larger output bearings and the front dogbone too (The plastic one would never hold up from the higher torque), so are perfect for this conversion... However. I wish that I could get larger wheels..

To finnish this truck completely I'll get the aluminium a-arms and 30mm long wheel hex extensions (I'm using 15mm ones at the moment).. Oh the choke is in the air filter now, so I can start the motor with the body on the truck..

Mike..

Last edited by hooleydog; 11-14-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:43 PM
savage dust bunny

[QUOTE=hooleydog;11661894However. I wish that I could get larger wheels..

Mike..[/QUOTE]

Have you considered using eg 24mm Baja wheels or even FG wheels?

Some pics of your beast would be most welcome

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.