Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Servos..

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 05:51 PM
tizdaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos..

Hey guys

ok im soon gunna be getting a new throttle/brake servo for my FG Monster.

My old setup was a mpex rhino digi4 for steering & a mpex power speed for the throttle, both servos are a good few years old now & have done me very proud, but last week my Rhino 1st gear finally had enough of my cr@p driving skills & called it a day & stripped, ive since re-built it fitting a new gear set & seals etc & is working good again, but ive decided to keep this as a backup servo nowor i may sell it.

So to replace it i was going to buy another rhino (the updated one which has not long been released) only difference is the newer rhino supports lipo but other than that exactly the sane as the older rhino pretty much. ...Why did i change my mind?

Well..when rebuilding my 8 year old rhino i noticed that the circuit board of my rhino had HS 5755 (or summit like that) printed on it, Now i know hitec bought into mpex a few years ago, & the rhino used the same innards as the 5755/65 etc from then on, but i bought this servo brand new about 8 years ago, way before hitec bought into mpex!

So this got me thinking...

£100 for a new rhino
or
£40 for a hitec 5765

Now ive NEVER been one to cut corners on servos to save some coin as at the end of the day, servos have the final say of a runaway or not!.. thats why i spent (at the time) over £170 for the rhino & power speed. But i know that the hitec 5765 is basically the rhino except for the red case. So i went and bought a new hitec 5765 for half the price of a rhino, but also i fitted a 5755 in my sons FG Monster when i built it for him & its been faultless & his driving skills are worse than mine! lol

So now im trying to decide what throttle/brake servo should i go for?

Another reason why i decided to go the hitec route as there customer service to what ive read about & heard are excellent. Anyway ive narrowed it down to these:
Motor Type: 3 Pole
Bearing Type: Dual Ball Bearing
Speed (4.8V/6.0V): 0.23 / 0.18
Torque kg./cm. (4.8V/6.0V): 10.3 / 12.1
Size in Millimeters: 40.39 x 19.56 x 37.59
Price: £31.00

or

Motor Type: Coreless
Bearing Type: Dual Ball Bearing
Speed (4.8V/6.0V): 0.13 / 0.10
Torque kg./cm. (4.8V/6.0V): 8.0 / 10.0
Size in Millimeters: 39.88 x 19.81 x 36.83
Price £45.00

The main difference is slightly more torque on the 5645 but slightly slower than the 7965 (but to be honest my power speed had only 6.5k & was more than enough) & also the motor as the 7965 is coreless & the 5645 is 3-pole, what is the difference between these motors exactly?

I was leaning towards the 5645 but for the sake of £15, is the 7965 a much better servo as it has more speed & the coreless motor im guessing is better than 3-pole? or would it be overkill & not worth the extra £15?

any info much appreciated

ty guys
Old 04-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Servos..

I would go for the 5645 if i were you, mainly because of the more torque in it. Are you running disc brake or just the stock one on the rear? If disc brakes, i would recommend some more torque, like 13-15 kg./cm. The speed lost by choosing the 5645 over the 7965 is so little that it doesn't matter, and atleast when you are "only" a basher as i read from your text
Old 04-21-2013, 02:42 PM
tizdaz

hiya mate

nah i dont use disc brakes only upgraded layshaft brake that i bought from hobbythek, but my old servo was a multiplex power speed which has only 6.5k torque but worked great with never any probs, the 7965 has 8kg torque which is more than the power speed?

& yup im just a basher
Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 AM
tizdaz

this forum is dead to what it used to be like :-/
Old 04-22-2013, 12:51 PM
DarkFire989

Yeah it's been slowly dying. I think I have a 645MG on my throttle for my FG and it works pretty well. Stops the truck relatively quick.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Lars from Norway

Well, i guess the 7965 will be enough for you then! I guess you are running 6 volt battery packs in your car? Then you will have 10 kg torque, not 8

Too bad with all these forums dying out, i remember the days you had to scroll far down the front page to read all the threads, and maybe go to page 2 aswell
Old 04-22-2013, 06:16 PM
tizdaz

hey

aye im running 6v packs

picking the 7965 up tomorrow, but i now have another prob, i had to cut my alloy radio tray when i got it to fit the mpex power speed as its slightly bigger than the standard size servos, so im gunna have to make some sort of bracket to fit the 7965!

yup is a shame about the forums dying, was the 1st place i came to before i got my FG (about 8 years ago!) to get advice on which to buy, place was bouncin back then, ah well
Old 04-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Lars from Norway

Do not see problems, see challenges! I love to meet prob, eeh, challenges! That means i have to work and create something Do you have a pic of the radio tray? I can't see why you have to make a bracket to make it fit.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:44 AM
Mad Wax

Do people use dedicated brake servo? I'm using a metal gear for throttle & brake.