Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

How many of you really call your airplane “She”?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 04:35 PM
RoyR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you really call your airplane “She”?

Or “Her”, if the grammar dictates?

I have been flying RC for almost 40 years. I flew full scale helicopters for a living for a full 40 years, logging 18,000 hours in the process. I have never referred to my aircraft (big or small) as she or her, although some have and do. Even so, I think in my career as a pilot I only heard two people use the term.
Needless to say I have used some choice words for the big ones when they were being a problem, the least offensive being a “bucket of bolts”, but had a friend tell me, “careful what you say around your helicopter, it can hear you.” Then I realized I needed to choose my words wisely before speaking as ultimately it did have the last word when we were in the air.
True, flying the same machine day after day becomes a personal, even loving experience. However it never crossed my mind to think of it in the feminine, or to put gender on it at all.
The same with models. No telling what may come out of my mouth when I talk to them, and I generally refer to them by some name or another during our late night chats, just not she or her. Or girl, filly, babe, sugar pie, sweetums .
So what do you think? Am I just being stubborn? Or am I pressing my luck by not giving in to their whims? Or what if your model is Bi-sexual or Gay? Do they still want to be called “She”?

This note is written for entertainment only, and not intended as a topic of disagreement. So please, no Flames, complaints, insults, or criticisms, unless it is preceded by ,”Surely you are probably a good guy and all, BUT—“
And Don’t call me Shirley.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:44 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How many of you really call your airplane “She”?

OK SUE . lol ENJOY !!! RED
Old 04-20-2013, 04:57 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure most people around me and my planes think I call them sh-t. Ahhhh shhhiiii..... Ohhhhh shiiiii.......Hooooooolllly shiiiii.......
Old 04-20-2013, 05:23 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife calls my 1:1 scale DC-3 "Nancy" my weekend mistress
Old 04-20-2013, 05:24 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never name my planes when they are built, however they are all usually named at a later date, something along the lines of glitch.........Good Luck, Dave
Old 04-20-2013, 07:38 PM
jcstalls
My Feedback: (7)

It's an ancient term of endearment respecting the original craft that we were carried by for about 9 months.

Jared
Old 04-20-2013, 10:44 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

14,000 hours of USAF flying - never heard an airplane called she, her, he or him.
It was always the tail number or "it"!
Old 04-21-2013, 01:30 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I passed my private pilot check ride, the examiner told me "Congratulations. You are now a responsible heavy equipment operator." No romance in that statement, but he made a good point! Airplanes are just machines with a human master.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:56 AM
perreback

ORIGINAL: RoyR

True, flying the same machine day after day becomes a personal, even loving experience. However it never crossed my mind to think of it in the feminine, or to put gender on it at all.
I'll bet in Sweden they don't call it "she":
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu_T29f2rnE[/youtube]
Old 04-21-2013, 04:07 AM
STUKA BARRY

I refer to my models as the children, but at the field I individualize them as babe, girl, darlin, and occasionally *****. As far as full scale, I repair a B757 every 30 days, so I never really get attached to one. There are occasions when I wave good-bye to them as they takes off to their next destination. In the Military (30 years ago) I was assigned to an A-10 that had my name stencilled on it and I do remember calling it female gender names, but I was young, dumb, and horny back then, now its just a novelty. I dont mean anything by it, I'm far from a sexist or what ever they call it these days, just a manly thing.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Mikepo
My Feedback: (9)

Even though planes did not exist during the ancient Roman times, most craft including boats chariots, etc. were named in the the feminine gender...therefore the "she" designation today since much of our lexicon is from Latin.
Mike in Los Angeles
Old 04-22-2013, 05:12 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: EloyM

14,000 hours of USAF flying - never heard an airplane called she, her, he or him.
It was always the tail number or ''it''!
+1. I KNOW a lot of folks do refer to airplane (and Boats/Ships) as "she"
'she took off and flew beautifully' ... I've never been one for that... (for me at least) it's an 'it'.
something that on one hand brings a lot of joy (and pain ) but on the other hand will bite you and press on, never giving you a second thought.
(or a first thought for that matter )
I DO love flying (always have) but I try not to allow myself to become emotionally attached to any airframe
(I still Do occasionally but I TRY not to.)
Old 04-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GREAT POST Mr. Roy R.

ORIGINAL: RoyR

I have been flying RC for almost 40 years. I flew full scale helicopters for a living for a full 40 years, logging 18,000 hours in the process. I have never referred to my aircraft (big or small) as she or her, although some have and do. Even so, I think in my career as a pilot I only heard two people use the term.
Needless to say I have used some choice words for the big ones when they were being a problem, the least offensive being a “bucket of bolts”, but had a friend tell me, “careful what you say around your helicopter, it can hear you.” Then I realized I needed to choose my words wisely before speaking as ultimately it did have the last word when we were in the air.
The same with models. No telling what may come out of my mouth when I talk to them, and I generally refer to them by some name or another during our late night chats, just not she or her. Or girl, filly, babe, sugar pie, sweetums .
So what do you think? Am I just being stubborn? Or am I pressing my luck by not giving in to their whims? Or what if your model is Bi-sexual or Gay? Do they still want to be called “She”?

This note is written for entertainment only, and not intended as a topic of disagreement. So please, no Flames, complaints, insults, or criticisms, unless it is preceded by ,”Surely you are probably a good guy and all, BUT—“
And Don’t call me Shirley.
In my 41 years of flying I never and still don't (17 years since last parking brake set) think of using "she" for an airplane. OTOH I have heard those people that "walk on water" refer to their boats (er-uh-ships that is) use "she" in refering to their vessels. Like some above, IT's an "it". [:-]

Love the fun posts above. Good to hear some FUN remarks.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:56 PM
gridley

I refer to all of my planes as "sweetheart". Makes my wife wonder who I am talking to sometimes!!
Old 04-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not me. My Edge is a man, baby.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14363.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1876501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51904.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	1876502